Climbing in St. George? Top Rope?

Mph

I think I will be in the St. George area for a few days. Anyone know of some good top rope routes for my daughter? My days of leading are past...I have researched Snow Canyon but can't seem to find any. Maybe that's the case...In other areas? She can climb 5.4-5.8...Thanks much

I would first look at guides and mountain project.com to see what they list as "Top Rope." When I went to Chuckwalla Wall, my friend said you could get above and on top of the wall, but the rappel stations looked kinda far down the wall with no real way of getting to them, but there may be a few you can get to. I think Black Rocks and Green Valley Gap have some. Other than that I'm not really sure.

I would first look at guides and mountain project.com to see what they list as "Top Rope." When I went to Chuckwalla Wall, my friend said you could get above and on top of the wall, but the rappel stations looked kinda far down the wall with no real way of getting to them, but there may be a few you can get to. I think Black Rocks and Green Valley Gap have some. Other than that I'm not really sure.

This is best of what I understand.

I've recently bought the newest Southwest Guide by Todd Gross You are sure to find more in there.

The Zen Gap is excellent and there are many to choose from...aka Green Valley Gap. That is where I would go. I didn't find many top-rope options at Chuckawalla but some good sport climbs. I liked Black Rocks but it is closed in the spring for Tortoise mating so watch the calendar.

OK....I have to share a tangentially related but funny story. I took some friends down to St G for a bike/climb 3 day weekend once. We stopped at Paragon to rent some climbing shoes for my friend. We were asking the young lady behind the counter about some areas and Black Rocks came up. She stated "it's closed for the turtle mating". My friend didn't quite hear here and only heard "its closed for the blah blah" and so he took a stab and said "what is that some sort of club?" Definitely a surprised look on her face when this guy from Idaho thought someone was closing a section of routes for a club known as "the turtle mating club" :) :) I recognized what had happened but did not intercede and enjoyed the moment as she kept a close eye on him the rest of the time we were there :) Likely pushed some secret button behind the counter marked "get down here fast I've got some freaks in here" :)

I second The Gap. Easy to get to and lots to top rope. Stop in at the Desert Rat on St. George Blvd they can give you more information about The Gap if you need it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
Harrison1991 Colorado climbing Meet Up (Members Only) 2
kwc Sunday Hill Climbing in the Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Shirt357 Backpacking/Trekking/Climbing in other countries General Discussion 14
tomcat32 Climbing in the Gallatins: Overlook Mountain Hiking & Camping 0
Bob Ever had this happen while climbing? General Discussion 6
natylka Overnight Camping, Hiking and Climbing at Ruth Lake-August 2014 Hiking & Camping 2
rayden8 Climbing in American Fork Canyon, UT Everything Else 0
Darwin Momentum Climbing General Discussion 5
PureLightImages Climbing Maple Canyon - Labor Day Everything Else 1
K Invite Climbing at The Front Meet Up (Members Only) 2
TrailScot Public bus from St George to Zion NP in 2024 General Discussion 7
TrektheWorld St. George - Thanksgiving Week Everything Else 7
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
wabenho Move from the Wasatch Front to St. George area? General Discussion 6
Nick St. George Campsites Trip Planning 10
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
chandlerwest Hello from St. George, UT Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Dave March Weekend in St. George Hiking & Camping 9
Flaminghog2099 George washington national forest Trip Planning 3
Nick Dog-friendly hikes around St. George Trip Planning 28
Jammer Invite Around St. George 3/7ish + Meet Up (Members Only) 0
steve Invite St. George this weekend, 2/13-2/15 Meet Up (Members Only) 37
Don Group Site near Zion or St George? (Veterans Day) General Discussion 4
DAA Wendover to St. George (on dirt...) Off Road 17
jrh Between Las Vegas and St. George Trip Planning 7
gloo Cedar City vs St. George General Discussion 7
Andy Heading to St George Trip Planning 7
Yvonne St. George and vicinity this weekend Trip Planning 3
Deadeye008 St. George, UT area day hikes Trip Planning 2
Tyler St George Mountain Biking March 2012 Off Road 2
Tyler Mountain biking St George Trip Planning 21
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Walking the top of Montana's CHINESE WALL | A Bob Marshall Trek Backpacking 14
Jackson Hollow Top Lake Backpacking 13
Bob Death Hollow - Top Half a revist..... Backpacking 0
Udink Boulder Top Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill To the Boulder Top Backpacking 9
gnwatts Water Canyon (Cedar Mesa) top down General Discussion 11
Burrito Never-ending growing photo collection at the top of my daily hike... General Discussion 22
Perry Question About Number In Red Shown At Top of Main Page Questions, Suggestions & Support 2
JimmyW Top of Larabee Gulch, Monarch Mine, Elliston, MT Hiking & Camping 0
trasmuson3 Roof Top Tents General Discussion 22
Udink Thousand Lake Mountain - Flat Top Hiking & Camping 4
Tres Westbrook The Virgin River Narrows in Zion National Park From The Top Down Hiking & Camping 20
Laura Top Down Narrows for a first time backpack? Trip Planning 11
uintahiker Chiricahua from the top down Hiking & Camping 6
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5