CitD in 2014 or 2015

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Lake Powell has dropped below 3,580 feet elevation as of the end of January 2014. The lake level is currently a bit over 20 feet above the floor of Cathedral in the Desert. The forecast from the Bureau of Reclamation shows it's not likely to be exposed this year, but in a worst-case scenario it's possible we could see it exposed by early 2015.

Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 4.13.29 PM.png

It will be very interesting to see in the next several of weeks what happens in terms of snowfall in the upper basin states. Looking at the graph, you can see just how weak the runoff was in 2013. The heavy monsoon rains later in the season actually provided a noticeable bump.

Is anyone else watching for this? I'm thinking @Nick now has a great way to shuttle kayaks down into the Escalante arm...

Last edited:
I would be very excited to see this come to fruition.

When was it exposed last... 2002ish? Before that... pre-Lake?

Thanks for the info.

- JG

Man, I've been watching that like a hawk for the last year. These low waters were certainly in my mind when decided to take the plunge on the pontoon boat. That chart is cool. I've been studying the conditions leading into 2005 and thought that if things keep going like they have been, it could definitely be next year.

We signed the final paperwork on the boat this morning and I've spent most of the day ordering all the junk I need for it (anchors, fenders, emergency stuff, etc.). Next up: figure out the best way to mount multiple kayaks. :)

We made it in from the top last time it was way down. Missed the lowest by about 20' the low then was 3558. I'd have to go look to see when we went. I think it was in April. A real nice 85' free rapel at the start, then its a piece of cake. Pretty neat standing above talking to boats. One in our party even rapped down to the water level.... I'd go again. Go here for historic data: http://www.ecowest.org/water/reservoirs/

Following are not my info or pics:
http://lakepowell.org/page_two/what_s_new/cathedral_in_desert.html

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get back out when you do the top-down technical route, Bob? Is there a route back up or do you have to ascend back up the rope(s)?

Man you are fast. Just re edited with more info from 2005. ............ Lol no other way in except by water.. You have to climb up the rope, Jumars and Gibbs. I can go look for my plot of the overland route if anyone is interested.

Ok, found my pics. Looks like April 2005. Sorry pics are from a film camera. Going in from the top:
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

I'd be very interested in a visit even if the lake level doesn't drop to the floor. From what I understand, if it falls into the 3,560s the waterfall should be well exposed, no?

So Bob, did you just hike up Hole in the Rock and have someone in a boat swing around and pick you up? What's the biggest rap? Any unusually crazy technical difficulties (potholes, high stemming, lack of useable anchors, etc.)?

3557 is the magic number. It was 3561.76 on 2-2-05 (about 17' lower than now). The lowest it has been since filled is 3555.1 on 4-8-05. Seeing the waterfall would be nice, but I want to walk in, after a nice paddle.

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/index2.php

Can anyone provide insight on what the canyon is like as you approach the Cathedral in the water when it's around this level? Is it too narrow for a big boat? Kayaks required? Or could I just motor right in there right now?

Access from Hole in Rock Road from Escalante.
My pics the water was 3565'.
There is a powered boat in one of my pics, so he made it up from the lake.
You miss a neat canyon doing it by boat.
Some stemming, short rope boulder type raps. NO potholes. You can see the size of packs we took.
See Map: Rap 1 - 50'. Rap 2 - Largest rap (pic) is 70 feet FREE, about 20' on rock. Anchors were there. Rap 3 - 15' in water. Rap 4 - 50' in loose rock. Rap 5 - 80' off the waterfall to the Lake level.
You have TO GO BACK UP THE ROPE, unless you have a boat pickup. Jumars or Gibbs ascenders. Static rope best.
I would consider going again if someones going.
Cathedral of the Desert.jpg

I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that bad to just go down by boat, climb UP Hole in the Rock, hike over to the canyon, descend it, then have the boat pick back up. I'm not a fan of the idea of ascending ropes and coordinating a 4WD trip with the boat shuttle seems like a stretch. How were anchor possibilities at the top of the 80 footer?

Geez Nick.........................you always on? Hadn't even finished the post yet !!!!! :tongue:

:)

The bolt anchors (2) were good then, now ? . Every other rap used natural anchors. Climbing back up the rope is interesting. You can get the boat up to the last rap, falls but then you couldn't get into the upper stuff. The road isn't a 4x4 road, high clearance car could make it easy.