Cheap Custom Framing Ideas?

Mike Jones

So I just received all my pictures from my Whitney Trip. I took some of my favorites and put them on a map and drew lines to where on the trail they were taken.

I was all excited, brought it to a framing store and they proceeded to tell me that they wanted $400 for a frame!!

Any suggestions for cheap framing options?

20160705_164152.jpg

Haunt your local thrift store looking for a good cast-off. Get a mat cutter and buy matboard online. Alternately, break out your woodworking tools. Hobby store frames can be had cheap but you still have to figure out matting.

if it fits in a poster frame, you can usually grab a two pane glass w/ wood frame poster frame at your local michael's type store for fairly cheap (or on sale with a coupon)..

if it fits in a poster frame, you can usually grab a two pane glass w/ wood frame poster frame at your local michael's type store for fairly cheap (or on sale with a coupon)..
I will have to look into that this weekend. I also found a website that makes custom frames fro more then half the cost of what I saw at the store I visited.

I do have one.....but....I don't think it is going to help you with this project.

I get my photos printed on 3mm styrene board. Well, I guess I mean printed and mounted on the board. then I sand three spots on it with one top center and the other two on the sides about 3/4 down from the top. There I glue 3 wooden spools I get from the craft store. I slip the top spool over a straight pin hanging on the wall. It looks great and no frame needed.

So...I know this won't help you with that project....but perhaps it can inspire you to mount in on a board or something like that instead of the frame.

I have built a rustic frame or 2 hundred, but not this year to busy. They are pretty simple to make. I have my prints dry mounted to foam core at JoAnn Fabric since my wife works there. Then build my own frame. I don't deal with glass or mattes, cause that is where the expense comes into play.
Some of what I have done over the years.
http://www.wesleyastonphotography.com/Framed/Frames/
http://www.wesleyastonphotography.com/Framed/Framed/

Those look pretty sweet, thanks for sharing!

I use aluminum prints from Bay Photo. Small print = lower cost. Just print a proof first on paper and compare it to your image on the computer. Brighten or darken the monitor to match what the actual result is (or needs to be) with the print. Then you can submit to Bay Photo with confidence. They have sales all the time. You can get a 10 x 12 for around 45 bucks, less on sale. Print quality is great.