CCD vs CMOS Image Sensors

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I'm shopping around for a new camera - my last one died in a puddle last year in the Uintas. I want to stay with a point and shoot but maybe a higher end one?

In comparing cameras (mostly Canons) I see two kind of image sensors. CCD & CMOS. In my own research I see that the CCD tends to produce a better image - less noise, but uses a lot more power.

My question is, is the difference is in noise and power useage a noticeable difference? Or is the difference so subtle that, as an amatuer, I wouldn't really notice?

CCD uses a lot more power. Most camera manufacturers have CMOS chips in the majority of their cameras these days.

@andyjaggy - good article. Sums up what I've read, with a slightly different intrepretation. So what do you think the best option is for a P&S camera user who wants to get the best image & video quality - everything else being equal?

What does the optical sensor resolution contribute? Most I see are 16 megapixels, but some are 20.

There won't be much difference between 16mp and 20mp. For web you don't need anything that high. If you are going to print consider that 16mp let's you do an 11X15 at 300dpi, and 20mp bumps it up to only a 12x18 at 300dpi.

Personally I wouldn't worry about weather the camera is a CCD or CMOS. Considering all the other variables in the camera it's the last think you should probably be worrying about. Find one that has the features and ergonomics you like and go with that no matter which sensor it has.

Along this same line consider that Sony has recently announced it is no longer going to be manufacturing CCD chips.