Canoeing on the Colorado - Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry

Neither my wife nor I had ever been to the southern Utah / Arizona Strip area until 2013, when we visited Zion NP, GSENM, Capitol Reef NP, and Bryce NP, and fell in love with it. We spent 8 days exploring the area, but of course that was not even enough time to scrape the surface. It just whetted our appetite for more. So we came back for Memorial Day week in 2014, with plans to canoe down the Colorado and camp in Horseshoe Bend, backpack the Narrows from top to bottom, and hike out to Shaman's Gallery in the Grand Canyon. And to keep the wife happy, a final night of rest and recovery in Las Vegas before flying home. The first leg of our adventure involved renting a canoe, putting in at Lee's Ferry and getting a backhaul up to near the dam.

We picked up our canoe at Lee's Ferry Lodge on May 25, and drove up to Lee's Ferry, with a short side trip across Navajo Bridge into the Navajo Nation. Shortly after noon, a Colorado River Discovery tour boat met us and ferried us up the river. Along the way, the guide pointed out several points of interest that we might want to explore on the way back. After about an hour and a half we reached the drop off point and started our float back down the river.

The rest of the day and most of the next we slowly meandered down the river, stopping several times to sit on the bank and watch the river roll by beneath the towering cliffs of Glen Canyon. Except for the clarity of the water, this likely was how the area looked all along the river before the dam was built. I could have spent a week just lazily floating down the river a couple miles per day. Instead, we camped right below and across the river from the Horseshoe Bend overlook. We could see periodic camera flashes from far above long after the sun went down. When I woke before dawn cameras were still flashing up at the overlook.

On Memorial Day we completed our trip, getting back to Lee's Ferry in mid-afternoon. We then headed to the Grand Canyon North Rim and got a cabin at the lodge. I hope to get back on that part of the river again some day. Unfortunately, there is just so much to do in the southern Utah / Arizona Strip area that it will be a long time before we exhaust all of the other extraordinary adventure opportunities. I do hope to bring my granddaughter back to float the river when she is old enough so that she can learn to love this area the same way that we have come to love it.

Anyway, here is a video of the trip:

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc How things can change in a month … canoeing in the southern Adirondacks On The Water 2
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing - Mason Lake On The Water 2
kwc It's hot ... so let's go canoeing! On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Canoeing 2018 On The Water 1
kwc Even More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 0
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 3
kwc Canoeing the Chubb - Lake Placid 2017 On The Water 13
kwc An Adirondack Canoeing Day Trip On The Water 6
Nanda Flaming Gorge Canoeing On The Water 3
futurafree Colorado and LCR turbidity time Trip Planning 1
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
gnwatts Butt cold on the Colorado On The Water 11
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
futurafree Green vs. Colorado Rivers above confluence Trip Planning 5
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
Harrison1991 Colorado climbing Meet Up (Members Only) 2
J Scrambles in the Lower Colorado River Corridor AZ/NV; Dec. 11-14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 5
Gimmy Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
piper01 fall foliage in Colorado late September Trip Planning 6
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
powderglut NW Colorado Snow conditions General Discussion 16
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
Nohmichel Colorado Backpacking in October 7-12 2019 Trip Planning 8
Shirt357 Colorado or Oregon? General Discussion 25
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
D Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
DuneElliot Colorado Trail Section Hike, June 2018 Backpacking 9
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9
stevecochranephotography Notch Mountain Trail - Mount of the Holy Cross and Shelter - Minturn, Colorado Hiking & Camping 4
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
Janice Recommendations for Colorado Backpack? Backpacking 25
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
stevecochranephotography Storm King Mountain Memorial Trail... Glenwood Springs, Colorado Hiking & Camping 6
O Greetings from a Colorado Noob. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
AbinadiWitness Colorado Adventure 2016: To the Grenadiers! Backpacking 9