Album Campsites

I love it!
Greg, what stretch of the river(s) in or near Utah would you suggest would be a good, first time ocean kayak overnighter for a noob with a rented boat?

We have friends that use their ocean kayaks on our yearly trips, and we basically stay on the Colorado and Green. But we always go multiple day, so I have no experience on single night. My suggestion would be to start at Potash down from Moab, use Tex's Riverways for your shuttle (personal experience). It is only 50 miles to the confluence, which you could do in 2 days easy in your boat, and you go through the heart of Canyonlands National Park. Then a beautiful jet boat back ($120 ?).
I think it might be a little more scenic than the upper Colorado, I don't know.
I have had friends who have done the 50 miles in a day (depending on stream flow) via kayak, then explored The Doll House from their camp in Spanish Bottom, just past the confluence with the Green. Then zip back to Potash.

Note: Tex's or any of the outfits can always pick you up anywhere on the Colorado between Spanish Bottom and Potash.

Crystal lake may 2012
a4y2y5u8.jpg

Our Redneck campsite!

A couple of years ago Antlerking, another friend, and I went camping in the Paria and someone forgot the tent poles. :rolleyes:
We had to rig the tent up to some trees with rope. The first night we slept without the rain fly on, but on the 2nd night some dark clouds came rolling into camp that evening and we rigged up a tarp over us. It ended up not raining (not much anyway), but the wind blew and we were covered with fine sand that came in through the mesh sides.

View attachment 6591

View attachment 6592

View attachment 6593

@HomerJ,
With the Ingenuity of three Farm Boys, we never really ended up in a bind. We stayed dry and warm, minus a bunch of sand. And the full lose of our 4 wheel drive being in the middle of the Paria Plateau, luck was on our side we made it out that day!

I'm digging this camp spot thread, mainly because I can't get out now (got a few winter trips planned). This was a short over night on accident. A friend and I planned to park at Sheiks canyon trailhead on Cedar Mesa, camp and check out Sheiks then walk over to Bullet and drop in and wander around a bit. It was in early February, and there was a slight chance of snow. We hung out in Sheiks for a bit then headed over to Bullet under beautiful skies, and the route in and down was clear of snow. But then it clouded up. We set up camp quick because it was obvious it was going to snow. So we had a stormy night right above what I think is Perfect Kiva. Needless to say we did not attempt the descent the next morning. To the car and breakfast in Blanding I think. Tent was around the corner to the right in this shot.

I00003vAUhtrEa2A.jpg

I0000Pn1PK3FE4N4.jpg

In Hat Flat, a small canyon south of Bullet on Cedar Mesa.
3 (I think) small canyons, all quite beautiful, but smaller in scale.

P1080290.jpg

Last edited:
P1030156ccMedium.jpg

Last summer on the Low Gap Trail in southern Indiana.
I seldom stay on campgrounds. I'm almost always back country. If you can tell where I camped the night before, I messed up.

IMAG0427.jpg

Worst campsite ever - forced to set up camp on the trail by overwhelming dark and rain in the San Juan National Forest. There was not even the glimpse of a spot to make do with, and the river of water running down the trail all night made it a guessing game as to which tent would give out and fill up like a bathtub first.

Favorite campsite: refugio El Caulle, Banos del Caulle trek in the Parque Nacional Puyehue, Chile. The refugio is the silver square (pixel) in the just left of middle in the green section of the picture. The photo is taken from the top of Volcan Puyehue. I am no landscape photographer, but this would be an amazing place to go if you were one.

P1010233.JPG

I can't bring the pretty like some of the amazing photographers here, but I'll share a couple of my favorite campsites anyway!

Grand Gulch, near Bannister Ruin. It was April 3, and the trees were just leafing out at this elevation - they were still pretty bare further upcanyon:

IMG_9609.JPG

sure, 30 sec f2 ISO1600 @20mm
Thanks I'm planning being out for the Christmas break. Might give this a try. I'm hoping for snow. F2? That's pretty fast, is it a fixed lens? I got a 10-20 zoom, but I think it's starts around F4 (To lazy to get it out to verify.)