Caines Head, Seward, Alaska

Ben

This was a very short over night out and back that i did near Kenai Fjords National Park. I don't recall exactly what i was thinking when i did this. I left late in the evening, hiked until it was dark in July in Alaska, got up in the morning and walked back.

On Caines Head there are remains of an old WWII fort, McGilvray, built to defend the port of Seward against Japanese incursion. I did not see any of this, i didn't devote enough time, just hiked out to North Beach and slept. I think i had to rush back to Anchorage to pick up some brake pads when the motorcycle shop opened after the week end. Or some thing. Also, the route follows the coast line at some points, and i was at the mercy of the tides as to what my options were for when i could leave.

The route starts from Lowell Point, just South of Seward, and travels above the shore through the forest, partly on a private road, until it comes down at Tonsina Creek and Tonsina Point. Looking across Resurrection Bay from that point.
DSCF1448.JPG

Tidal flats at Tonsina Point, Resurrection Peninsula across the same bay.
DSCF1450.JPG

A picture of a picture of a picture.
DSCF1452.JPG

Looking back to Seward in the "evening". Probably about 11 pm.
DSCF1455.JPG

Most people's method of travel to the beach.
DSCF1457.JPG

Pilings that remain from Fort McGilvray days. This is the next morning, cloudier.
DSCF1462.JPG

DSCF1463.JPG

Looking back up the coast from Derby Cove on the return trip.
DSCF1468.JPG

Derby Cove. Possible to camp here also.
DSCF1472.JPG

DSCF1476.JPG

This is one of the spots that can be trouble if the tide is not low enough. There are two of these spots, and it is wise not to get stuck between them during high tide.
DSCF1477.JPG

Looking back at Derby Cove, and the rise of Caines Head.
DSCF1479.JPG

One of the cabins that it is possible to rent.
DSCF1482.JPG

Rocks.
DSCF1483.JPG

This is the second spot to be passed at lower tide. A tide table is available at the visitor center in Seward.
DSCF1489.JPG

Flat Rocks.
DSCF1492.JPG

DSCF1497.JPG

These trees were killed by an earth quake. The quake caused the shore to subside, and salt from subsequent high tides killed them.
DSCF1502.JPG

DSCF1504.JPG

DSCF1505.JPG

Back at the flats of Tonsina Point.
DSCF1506.JPG

The bridge over Tonsina Creek.
DSCF1508.JPG

Tonsina Creek.
DSCF1513.JPG

Nice! I can't wait to see Alaska someday. I love the pictures of the coast. Those mountains are amazing.

Cool! I miss AK. Not a lot of sunny days in this picture show :) I don't miss that part of AK.

Reactions: Ben
Seward is the first place I've been to in AK, aside from Anchorage... So beautiful, everyone should go! There are more than a few cabins to rent in Resurrection Bay. @Ben I think you showed Exit Glacier in a previous post, what really got to me was the signs showing where the glacier was in certain years. I cant remember how far back it went in time, probably the 1950s. If my memory from last year serves me, it has receded at least a mile since then. Also, I'm gonna try to upload a couple a couple pics of Tonsina, at least one is the same as yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 17
nice. you had some better skies than me there. i'm pretty sure that the markers of Exit Glacier's recession go back even farther than the fifties. i'm inclined to think all the way to the 18somethings.

Last edited: