Buenas!

ROOTIEBOY

I've got a brother who uses this site. I figure I'd join and get some advice if needed. I'm looking for some great camping/hiking/backpacking with a dog in Southern Utah.

Welcome! You're going to have to stay out of the National Parks with a dog. Moab has some really great hikes outside its NPs, same with St. George, Kanab, Escalante, Boulder, the possibilities are endless. There are some great books on Amazon about backpacking in Utah and where to go.

Also, don't bypass the amazing spots right in your backyard in Provo (albeit a little snowy at the moment). Rock canyon is cool for day hikes, and Provo canyon has countless opportunities.

Welcome, @ROOTIEBOY !

Like these guys say Grand Staircase Escalante is a mecca for backpacking with dogs. For a long time, that was pretty much my go-to place for that reason. Other good spots to look into are Robbers Roost and the Trachyte canyon system. Lots of awesome areas with flowing water and no anti-dog rules like much of the rest of the desert.

Welcome, @ROOTIEBOY Other good spots to look into are Robbers Roost and the Trachyte canyon system. Lots of awesome areas with flowing water and no anti-dog rules like much of the rest of the desert.

Robbers Roost is an area I've wanted to do, but I was under the impression that it is moderately technical. Not necessarily good for dogs. Am I misinformed?

I haven't done much there yet, but there are plenty of non-technical options that would be just fine for dogs. Most of the tech routes are in the upper canyons where they are dry anyway. Calling @langutah ....

+2 on the Robber's Roost. I highly recommend Steve Allen's books to get you acclimated. There are plenty of trips and info listed on this site as well. You are looking for the Angel Trail, east and west, Happy Canyon, Poison Springs, No Man's canyons, etc. There ARE technical descents but they are mostly short sections of canyons that also have regular walking and often you can even bypass the technical features. My doggie(s) backpack there a lot. Sometimes they even invite me!

Back