bowknot mesa - a multisport outing

Kullaberg63

Inspired by Udink's successful hunt for the hard to reach geocache on top of Bowknot Bend Mesa on the Green River, I launched my own expedition last Tuesday.

My wife had forbidden me to drive the family van down Spring Canyon with its exposed, narrow and somewhat rugged jeep road. Therefore I was forced to deploy travel method number one in my multisport adventure: a mountain bike. The ride down to the river is steep but very scenic.

Once at water's edge I inflated a packraft and paddled vigorously 6 miles downstream in a little more than an hour. A few weeks earlier I was here with my family and scrambled up to Bowknot Bend's prominent saddle from the south (a trip report is somewhere on Backcountry Post), so I knew this part of the route.

From the saddle I contoured around to the north side of the isolated island mesa and followed a path of least resistance up steep slickrock and along ledges to the top. The route is likely the only non technical way up, and very similar to Udink's. There were a spot or two of exposed friction climbing on thinly featured slabs of sandstone; passages where non climbers either would obliviously scamper up or freeze to a standstill gripped by fear.

The summit plateau is rather vast and gently contoured without any distinct highpoint, but the edge all around is a massive terraced wonderland of ledges and steep canyons and abrupt edges falling to the river. Quite enticing. After spending a few hours rambling about up here I returned to the river on the opposite side of Bowknot Saddle and floated back to the bike and rode the steep switchbacks up to the van.

10 hrs roundtrip, 25 miles total combining bike, packraft and hiking.

View larger map.

bow1
by kullaberg631, on Flickr
At the take out before the south side hike up to BowKnot Saddle.

bow2
Looking back at the bowl containing the scramble up from the saddle.

bow6
A view from the rim

bow5
The odd and somewhat cross-eyed view of the Green River from the top.

bow4
The packraft which has opened up so many new trip opportunities.

bow3
Packed up and ready to begin the ride back out of Spring Canyon.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Cool perspective from up top. I think I know the answer to this, but trip reports like this make me wonder how people get around the need for river permits.

You need to stop it with these packraft trip reports... you're only fueling my desire for one even more. Totally off topic, but what kind of hat is that?

Regarding permits, bowknot bend is before the NP boundary, so you just need to print off a BLM permit before you go.

I'm aware of the restrictions for Labyrinth. My questions are more to the general issue, not this trip in particular.

Even in Labyrinth you're required to carry a fire pan and a groover. You're supposed to list your put-in and take-out as well. But I get the sense many people with packrafts, especially on day trips, take their chances. Really, the river permit systems needs to be updated to reflect the reality of a launch-anywhere world.

I'm loving your Trip Reports, and creative ways to approach this area.

I was really close to a job in Moab, but not is the right time. I really hope to live in that area for a portion of my life. Your outings only increase that wish.

That's right, I saw that too. But the options for actually including packrafting on a day hike within Canyonlands are pretty limited. Most outings will require 12 hour plus days with lots of walking on rugged off trail terrain and difficult route-finding. Certainly not a deterrent to some of us, but it cuts the potential user group down to a minimum.

Way cool! Awesome to see you get up that other side of Bowknot. I too absolutely love your multisport trip reports. Please keep them coming! :)

I took a screenshot of those new packaraft regs if anyone wants to see. It took quite a while for that link to load for some reason. Click thumbnail:

upload_2014-5-1_16-6-35.png

I took a screenshot of those new packaraft regs if anyone wants to see. It took quite a while for that link to load for some reason.

Veeeery interesting that the pack raft regs posted above do not seem (yet) to be posted on the park's website. For now, it only says:

Any river trips using nontraditional launches or take outs, combining different modes of transport or wishing to stay in designated campsites must coordinate their travel with the park to obtain the proper permit(s).

The only real problem I can see with the posted requirements is the two-mile limit. That pretty much restricts you to river crossings.

Yeah, that's short. I think they did like 5 miles in the Grand Canyon and people thought that was still too short.