Blaine Basin

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Saturday & Sunday, July 9-10, 2016

Mount Sneffels (14,157) towers above Wilson Creek in Blaine Basin after sunset.

Since Diane and I won’t be able to get back into the outdoors for the rest of the month I wanted to do a quick and easy overnight backpacking trip in the mountains this weekend. I was looking for something close to home that wouldn’t be crowded and thought that Blaine Basin in the Sneffels Range of the San Juan Mountains would be a good option. We left home later than usual on Saturday morning and arrived at the Blue Lakes Trailhead around 11am. I was blown away by how many vehicles were at the trailhead! It was crazy! There were cars lined up and down the road pulled over any place they could find to park. At this point I was second guessing the trip because I wasn’t convinced that all of these people were headed to the Blue Lakes?

After finding a place to park about a quarter mile from the actual trailhead we shouldered our backpacks and started the climb up to Blaine Basin. The trail quickly branches off from the Blue Lakes Trail and follows the easy Dallas Trail to Wilson Creek. After crossing Wilson Creek on a crudely-constructed log bridge we followed the creek as it climbed up into lower Blaine Basin. It was a pretty good trail with a couple more creek crossings before it got rocky and steep for the final climb to the basin. We passed a single person coming down this section of the trail and ran into one pair of people in the lower basin who left shortly after we arrived. That’s all the people we would see for the rest of the weekend. I guess this basin was a good location to get away from the crowds and we had it all to ourselves. While there are no lakes in this particular basin, there are a lot of streams and waterfalls all around. The sound of rushing water was constant in the basin.

Blaine Basin- our destination for the weekend.

Cow Parsnip along the trail.

We found an very nice campsite at the edge of the trees near a rushing waterfall in the lower basin, setup camp and relaxed for a few hours.

A large rushing waterfall behind camp that provided nice white noise to fall asleep to.

Later in the evening we hiked to the upper basin at the base of Mount Sneffels and then returned to camp for dinner and to take a few photos at sunset.

Following the trail up higher into upper Blaine Basin.

Diane sits on a large boulder under Mount Sneffels and takes in the views.

Cirque Mountain (13,686) above upper Blaine Basin.

Following the creek back down into lower Blaine Basin.

Rushing water everywhere…

While the wildflowers weren’t abundant at this time, there were still plenty around.

Mount Sneffels after sunset.

A touch of alpenglow on Cirque Mountain from near camp.

After the sun was down and the last bit of light was gone we got into the tent and went to bed. The temperature was perfect and night was pretty calm. We slept well. I woke up early on Sunday morning to photograph the sunrise. I was hoping to at least catch a little alpenglow on Mount Sneffels, but I wouldn’t even see that.

Mount Sneffels at dawn.

Sunrise on Mount Sneffels.

Turbulent water behind camp.

Morning light on Blaine Peak (12,940). I had hoped to climb this peak the previous afternoon, but one of my knees was bothering me and I decided it probably wasn’t a good idea. Hopefully next time…

Diane hikes back down the trail ahead of me.

Hiking along a bend in Wilson Creek.

This was the trickiest log to cross on the trail.

Diane on the other side of an easy crossing.

>> Blaine Basin Photo Gallery
>> The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
S Titcomb Basin week itinerary options? Trip Planning 11
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstonne 2022, 2nd half Backpacking 4
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstone, 2022 Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 6 - Titcomb Basin to Beaver Park Backpacking 9
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Naturalist Basin to Middle Basin? Almost... Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Shoshone Geyser Basin Paddle Trip 2010 On The Water 10
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Jackson Naturalist Basin - September 2019 Backpacking 14
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the John Muir Wilderness : Humphreys Basin Backpacking 3
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
Stephanie B First Foray into Beef Basin Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
balzaccom Sabrina Basin exploration Backpacking 1
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
b.stark Island Lake/Titcomb Basin in July Backpacking 9
Ugly Alternative Views of Albion Basin Hiking & Camping 5
jar155 Murdock Basin, Uinta Mountains 7.28.2018 Hiking & Camping 2
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4