Big Tents

Nick

-
I picked up an REI Kingdom 4 with the Connect Tech Garage over the spring sale. It's intended use to be my boat camping tent when I'm out with the wife and dogs. We took it out for this first time this past weekend and were highly disappointed. The tent itself was okay I guess, but not at all worth the price tag. And the Connect Tech Garage was a piece of junk. Don't bother setting that up unless you have absolutely ideal ground conditions for stakes and no wind.

I am invoking my REI satisfaction guarantee and returning it but that means I'm on the hunt for a new big tent for the beach. I'm thinking a 4-man, roughly 8' x 8' floor dimensions. A tall ceiling would be nice but I'd give up some of that for better wind resistance. Anyone have any favorites or suggestions in that category?

how small does it have to be? If size isn't an issue, I'd go with a springbar or a kodiak.

EDIT: DAA beat me to it.

I'll go take a look at Springbar. Which one do you have, Dave? Size and weight is a bit of an issue. Once you put a handful of people, gas, beverages, coolers, gear, kayaks, etc. on there the boat starts to sit a little low in the water. But a happy, comfortable wife in a big storm is probably a bit more important.

I have two, the newest and smaller of which is 16 years old now and is probably the size you are looking at, it's the 7x8 model. I have a lot of nights in it, 16 years at around 35-40 nights a year. Has seen it's fair share of wind and weather in that time, still going strong, still keeps me dry.

All in, poles, stakes etc., I'd guess it weighs about 35 lbs. Pic below might help visualize the size - that's both my Springbars, with the smaller one obviously on the right. In the back of my Jeep Wrangler.

IMG_0718.jpg

After a very windy, snowy night In the Henrys last November (I stayed warm and dry and slept great).

20131121_Henryqus_Camp-6W.jpg

- DAA

for a Big tent, I Love my center pole wall tents with their stoves inside! we move them on ATVs tho, there heavy, (but hey ended the comfort complaints right out of the box ... ) check out Cabellas Alacknac 9.5x9.5 nothing says happy momma like a wood burning stove inside the tent! weve got 2 of them... small and large, and they pay their freight. (*provided weight isn't an issue) watch Cabellas bargain cave for the buy on he cheep... Ive not regretted spending the money on them. the big one (12 x12) been in service since 06, with out an issue.

The REI Camp Dome 4 is a great tent. I've used it in the backcountry of Yellowstone over the years in all kinds of conditions - torrential rains, high winds and snow. It has always performed excellently. Once my kids turned ten and twelve (three years ago), I upgraded to a Camp Dome 6 because the Camp Dome 4 had become too crowded. The Camp Dome 6 fits four adults and their gear pretty well, though the three times that I have used it the weather has been nice so I can't speak to how the tent would hold up in adverse conditions.

I also own a REI Base Camp 6 and it has performed in rain and wind without a problem in the backcountry. I quite enjoy this tent. You can stand up without issue in this tent; there is plenty of room for four people and all their gear. It does weigh about five more pounds than the Camp Dome 6 though if weight is a concern.

I have a Euro Traveler Springbar tent that could probably survive a nuclear holocaust. The Euro Traveler has been discontinued, I believe the Family Camper 7 has taken its place. The Euro was originally designed for 8 people, though I think six would fit the best. It weighs somewhere between 70 and 80 lbs. It's heavy! As @DAA says, the Springbar is a solid tent.

Grizzly_Lake_09_07_06 065.jpg REI Camp Dome 4 - Grizzly Lake, Yellowstone

IMG_0647.JPG
REI Camp Dome 6 - Ledgefork Campground, Uintas

IMG_2927.JPG
REI Base Camp 6 - Grebe Lake, Yellowstone

IMG_1569.JPG
The Euro Traveler - Mirror Lake Campground, Uintas - Holds up to six comfortably plus . . . .

IMG_9535.JPG
One hound dog. :)

I ended up going through 3 brand new REI tents this year in the search for the right one. The Springbars look great, but given how important staking them down is, I didn't feel it was the best choice for boat camping in Glen Canyon. After the Kingdom, we went to an REI Base Camp 6. That was nice but still too big and it got flattened by a wind storm midway through pitching it on solid rock one night. I was using boulders for anchors, but it just couldn't take the wind and the poles got bent to hell. After that we went to a Base Camp 4 but we bought some killer sand stakes (Toughstakes). It's a nice size for Audra and I and the dogs, although I often end up just sleeping on the boat anyway if it is too hot out. I do really like the big double doors. You can really open it up and basically turn it into a shade shelter. The only thing I don't like is that the mesh doors are only the top half so you can't get a good cross breeze without actually opening the doors up.

Some pics...

The Base Camp 6 about 15 minutes before getting destroyed by the wind. We just gave up and huddled under tarps on the boat until the storm eased up.
IMG_5522.jpg

BaseCamp 6 yard test. Love those big double doors.
IMG_0800.jpg

BaseCamp 4 with Toughstakes = much better. We'll see how it holds up after another year.
IMG_2466.jpg

Pricey but maybe this teepee style. Pretty bombproof, plenty of room, friend has a 6 and 4 man....with a titanium stove for hunting.
http://store.kifaru.net/tipis-c18.aspx

Cabellas has a pretty neat looking 'expedition' tent don't know anything about it.

Yea....not for me, I'm on a fixed income. We use them backpacking hunting, 6 person sleeps 4 easy with all gear and 'cots' Wood stove in center pretty nice. Split the weight between three of us. Been in some really bad mountain weather

cabellas offers a similar tent for around #350 its a pyramid called the outback lodge. its a silgle wall with a floor offered in 8x8 and 12x12 the original versions had a huge arch door that exposed your living space to foul weather, the new modle is a more traditional slit door. Ive a copy of the original version, its ok, a 3.5 on a 5 scale maybe, mostly because of that gapeing hole for a door.... properly staked, it bucked wind pretty well! and the only thing simpler to set up is your penis! http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outback-Lodge-Tent-x/735044.uts

I gotta say, I've got the REI Kingdom 8 with the garage and we freakin love that thing. It is palatial! However, we don't really camp with it on slickrock, really only use it when car camping....

Here is a shot from the inside, camped out at Jug Hollow by Flaming Gorge Reservoir...
4yqb5fz.jpg

Last edited:
^ those jumping jacks are awesome. In my experience, they're a bit of a hassle to set up every night, but if you have a base camp in the same spot every night they're tough to beat.

Yeah we've generally used it base-camp style. It's super useful in convincing my wife to go camping.

I have the REI Kingdom 6. We love it, but I would trade up to the 8 if I could. With all the kids stuff the 6 just feels a little cramped.

Time for me to look for yet another big tent. Our Base Camp 4 has been great, but the poles bent on it this past weekend during some really strong wind gusts. It stayed up and actually did very well, but several poles are bent pretty good. But compared to the other two tents in camp, it did really well. I'm debating with going with another of the same or stepping it up. I'm still hesitant on the springbars since they aren't freestanding. Starting to think I need like a serious 4-season expedition type tent. Any new recommendations?

Bent, but not broken.
IMG_1244.jpg

One bent and pulled down and one with a broken pole.
IMG_1243.jpg

I believe you have a 365 day satisfaction guarantee with REI. They should replace the poles for you.

For high wind I've always wanted a hilleberg, but they're spendy