Bear Grylls Running Wild - Utah Episode

Dan_85

Not sure if this is the right thread but it may be of some interest to people... Tonight's episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls takes place in S. Utah. Can any of you detectives figure out the locations? Not sure how "authentic" it is given all of his controversies in recent years but it may be worth watching?

Maybe that was the Green they helicoptered over??? Shrug. As for the rest of it, I'm not a canyoneer so no clue. All I do know is when Bear Grylls was going maybe to shoot something around here (Capitol Reef-ish area) several years ago and hired a local company to scout locations for his brutally realistic wilderness survival show, his contract stated that he must be situated in a 4- or 5-star hotel no more than 20 miles from the shooting locations, and that he's a vegetarian. Saw the contract myself. Erhmmm....yeah.

If I had TV, I might watch just for the giggles. Then again, "reality" bullhuckey like this is one of the reasons why I don't have TV! :) (No offense to anyone who likes reality TV. It's just not my cuppa. :))

I'm going to try to watch this just so I can fume at all the terrible things he is likely to do to our lovely desert landscape. I'm betting it's Moab and the Colorado in the chopper shots. Too little to tell on the rest, but if he likes his hotels that much, I bet it's also pretty close to Moab.

Maybe that was the Green they helicoptered over??? Shrug. As for the rest of it, I'm not a canyoneer so no clue. All I do know is when Bear Grylls was going maybe to shoot something around here (Capitol Reef-ish area) several years ago and hired a local company to scout locations for his brutally realistic wilderness survival show, his contract stated that he must be situated in a 4- or 5-star hotel no more than 20 miles from the shooting locations, and that he's a vegetarian. Saw the contract myself. Erhmmm....yeah.

If I had TV, I might watch just for the giggles. Then again, "reality" bullhuckey like this is one of the reasons why I don't have TV! :) (No offense to anyone who likes reality TV. It's just not my cuppa. :))

I thought I was the only one on the planet who didn't watch TV. I may still be the only one on the planet that doesn't have smart phone though.

@JulieKT I'm reassured that humanity is not lost in TV with your comments. I, like @andyjaggy , do not have TV. That's pretty funny about his contract. How 'epic' can it be if you are only, at most, 30 miles from the destination. You can get into trouble but rescue is a lot more likely. I like Bear Grylls, but I think we should drop him off, with his own cameras, in the middle of the brooks range in Alaska, or in the middle of Escalante, and say good luck.

@andyjaggy you are the last to not have a smartphone. How does it feel to be on an island? ;)

My first thought at the chopper shots were that they were near Red Cliffs Lodge or Sorrel River Ranch just up Hwy 128 near Moab.

Sorrel probably qualifies for the 4 star lodging...

@andyjaggy you are the last to not have a smartphone. How does it feel to be on an island? ;)[/quote]

I started off not having one simply because I didn't want to pay for it, but at this point it's gotten to the where I kind of have this weird sort of pride in not owning one, like I am out to prove a point or something. Kind of dumb I know. I'm a pretty simple guy and get enough technology at my job all day, I don't need more distractions in my life. :)

Anything with BG and a overpaid athelete can't be really factual..................

@andyjaggy you are the last to not have a smartphone. How does it feel to be on an island? ;)

I started off not having one simply because I didn't want to pay for it, but at this point it's gotten to the where I kind of have this weird sort of pride in not owning one, like I am out to prove a point or something. Kind of dumb I know. I'm a pretty simple guy and get enough technology at my job all day, I don't need more distractions in my life. :)

Ok, so while I may have a smartphone, I am not so plugged into it that it runs my life. Simply put, I still have hung onto the basic phone that it replaced. The only reason, really, I still have the smartphone is because I Geocache with it and do not have a dedicated GPS unit yet. In fact there is little I do with it beyond texting and making calls. All my apps are geared towards camping, hiking, archery... I dont have games on it, and have not been on facebook since the beginning of the year. In fact I dont do any social media stuff. Only reason I have not closed out the FB account is incase I get my company up and running, I have a FB page made for the company...

As to the topic of this post, I have never like BG, nor will I ever buy anything with his name on it. I do have one or 2 items with the BG name, but they were given to me as gifts from my dad, again, I will not spend my money on anything with his name on it. I don't watch his "survival" show, I did watch a few years ago an episode or 2, decided that he was full of S*%t and refused to watch any more of his shows. He is likely to get people killed with his show than he will have people saved in my opinion. However, enough people follow him and watch his show to keep him going. From what I remember, he never seemed distraught, dehydrated, or to be in any real danger on the episodes I saw years ago.

If I have offended any BG fans here on BCP, oh well, I am allowed my opinion, like it or not, you have it now on the subject of the OP.

I started off not having one simply because I didn't want to pay for it, but at this point it's gotten to the where I kind of have this weird sort of pride in not owning one, like I am out to prove a point or something. Kind of dumb I know. I'm a pretty simple guy and get enough technology at my job all day, I don't need more distractions in my life. :)[/quote]

Very true. I could do with less distractions. The only call I really like to answer (beside my wife) is the call of wilderness. That was cheesy poetic, but true.

@SirDonB I like your ideology. I don't have a FB account, nor do I want one. I do most of my 'socializing' via phone call, in person, or on BCP. I do have a LinkedIn account but that's because it is a good networking tool. But, I don't keep it updated very often. I'm glad there's more people out there that don't need a constant stream of technology to function. It is refreshing.

Thanks Nick for separating this out into it's own thread. I'm in the UK so won't be able to watch in real-time but will catch it online at some point tomorrow.

I'm sure it's bound to have the usual amount of false info, comedy and "artistic license" but I do still enjoy watching these shows, in a bizarre kinda way!

@TannerT Yea, I agree with you on the distraction bit... that's why I try to keep mine to a minimum, 5 kids, 4 animals, 2 jobs, 2 vehicles, and a wife are more than enough on a regular basis, toss in a hobby or 2 and the smartphone and I can easily become overloaded and blow a vacuum tube....

I tried Facebook out for a while, and only ended up posting anti gov't and pro 2nd amendment stuff. So it served very little purpose for me and besides, old fashioned or not, I prefer to speak to you direct whether on the phone or in person, there is so much missed in conversation when you have to read what is there and let that voice in your head try to make up for the missing pieces.

Same goes for reality TV, it is all subject to what the produces and network want to show you, so again, much gets lost in translation.

I watched the episode. Man, that was painful. Plenty of ridiculous, staged scenes including killing a perfectly good pet store snake and lots of crypto stomping.

The resort they used and started from was Red Cliffs Lodge, just down the river from Sorrell.

They went from there to a what is definitely a popular Moab canyoneering route. Lots of rope grooves on those rappels. They then 'camped' and 'walked' to Parriott Mesa for a climb up the '100-year old via ferrata' to the top of the mesa to end the show. It was pretty clear the canyon they did was not very close to Parriott. They definitely didn't walk it, that's for sure. It was kind of entertaining since it was Utah but also a fantastic reminder of why I hate Bear Grylls and reality TV in general.

Arghhhh, just gag me with a spoon. You guys aren't going to tease me into watching this. Especially since you hurt my eyeballs and sensibilities with that last wingnut's episode outside of Page. I'm not going to watch. I'm not going to watch.... I've got more important toenail trimming to do.:disagree:

Don't waste your time on this one, Art. I only did it because I finished watching an excellent episode of House of Cards and it happened to be on when I turned off the AppleTV. I couldn't have done it without the fast forward button. Watching Deion Sanders pray in tongues while freaking out on a ledge was kinda fun, but definitely not fun enough to justify a whole hour of your life.

The only thing what I like on BG Episodes are the landscapes, especially of Utah and some hints and tips.
Where can I watch or download the new episodes? Here in Germany is only one free channel - w/ the old ones.

Thx for beta. :)