Bald Mountain, June 2007

Nick

-
June 2007

This is a popular day hike in the Uintas. It's right off the highway near the high point at Bald Mountain Pass. It hit very near 100 degrees in the valley yesterday so it was especially nice to be high in the mountains.
  • trip date: 6/17/07
  • distance: 4 Miles Round Trip
  • starting point: Bald Mountain Trailhead
  • destination: The top of Bald Mountain
  • peak elevation: 11,943' at the summit
I'm always entertained by the look on Nikita's face when we start into a canyon.
bald-mountain-uintas-1.jpg

The trail up Bald Mountain has incredible views around every corner.
bald-mountain-uintas-2.jpg

The air is thin at this altitude. The trail also climbs about 1300' in 2 miles. There was much heavy breathing on the hike
bald-mountain-uintas-3.jpg

There is still snow to be found in the mountains. Nikita was VERY pleased.
bald-mountain-uintas-4.jpg

Why does it always seem like I am chasing Taylor up mountains?
bald-mountain-uintas-5.jpg

Audra making her way up the trail with one of the finest views of the Mt Watson area behind her.
bald-mountain-uintas-6.jpg

This hike isn't the best for those afraid of heights. Hayden Peak and Mirror Lake in the background.
bald-mountain-uintas-7.jpg

It amazes me the things that can grow at this altitude. 9 months out of the year it's covered in snow and the other 3 it is an onslaught of wind and unpredictable weather.
bald-mountain-uintas-8.jpg

Looking south down the ridge line with the summit at my back. There is a nice little boulder field before you get to the top. Fun stuff.
bald-mountain-uintas-9.jpg

This panaromic is looking east towards the core of The Uinta Range. The Highline Trail runs this direction towards Rocky Sea Pass in the far distance.
bald-mountain-uintas-10.jpg

Nikita has no fear of heights.
bald-mountain-uintas-11.jpg

She was obsessing on the cars we think. I'm betting they looked like some delicious squirrel like creature from this distance.
bald-mountain-uintas-12.jpg

Looking west towards Notch Mountain and Mt. Watson.
bald-mountain-uintas-13.jpg

The view southwest towards the Trial Lake area. Notice the Mirror Lake Highway winding through the trees.
bald-mountain-uintas-14.jpg

Nikita was starting to worry me with her obsession.
bald-mountain-uintas-15.jpg

Fortunately she found a flat rock and chilled out for a while.
bald-mountain-uintas-16.jpg

Taylor must have inspired her
bald-mountain-uintas-17.jpg

bald-mountain-uintas-18.jpg

I couldn't help but see a similarity to the top of Bald Mountain and the cover of one of my favorite Uinta books. I think I was a foot or so taller than their camera man. Other than that I nailed it!
baldbook.jpg

Hayden Peak as seen from Bald Mountain
bald-mountain-uintas-19.jpg

Mt. Agassiz as seen from Bald Mountain
bald-mountain-uintas-20.jpg

A-1 Peak as seen from Bald Mountain
bald-mountain-uintas-21.jpg

Mt. Watson as seen from Bald Mountain
bald-mountain-uintas-22.jpg

Reid's Peak, Bald Mountain's relatively pathetic twin.
bald-mountain-uintas-23.jpg

Taylor heading back down.
bald-mountain-uintas-24.jpg

Your photos brought back a lot of memory's... In the summer of 1974 there was a survival school base camped near Mirror lake, I don't recall their name, but their moniker was a Brown Beret, And they were like an outward bound school ... The Staff at camp Steiner befriended those folks and We enjoyed many nights around their fires, their company was wonderful! .... One evening several of the Brown Berets showed up at the Staff lodge at our camp, looking for help.... A young hiker had defied their parents instructions to step away from the precipice on Bald Mtn & fallen several hundred yards according to reports. We were asked to join a repelling crew to effect a rescue of the stricken hiker. Long story short, It didn't end well for the youngster. We found the body 3/4 of the way down one the " "Funnels" in the side of the mountain .... and carried the body out in the dark. It was an experience no one expected.... Im always reminded of that night when I see photos of the trail up Baldy.... Ive not been up their since.

Yes, sad story. I was trying to peak it after Halloween but the blizzard came and I got halfway through. I have to come back once the snow melts.

Yes, sad story. I was trying to peak it after Halloween but the blizzard came and I got halfway through. I have to come back once the snow melts.
it was a terrible day to say the least... But the experience has always served as a reminder to me that, as in all things in life, circumstances in the woods, can and do from time to time, go terribly wrong. Sometimes with ugly consequence's.
it pays to be prepared. Id venture to guess with your experience Nick, you've seen a few Rodeos yourself.