Backpacking, Hiking & Camping Gear to Use this Year

I got a Tilopa pack for FREE just over a year ago. One of my Aussie friends sells them in AUS and sent me one to try out and take pictures of it for him. The funny thing about this pack is that Dakine make a camera block and it would fit in certain Dakine packs just like this Fstop bag. I have had my Dakine one for 4 years. I like them both. The Fstop is just a bigger version.

i actually had this same problem with my Atmos 65. while i agree about how to pack, load & putting the weight on the hips, I think that the lightweight, narrower straps on the atmos are a problem. there is NO padding to speak of.
I had the same shoulder discomfort on my overnight trip to Egg Canyon a month ago.

I have an older model Atmos 65 an have experienced the same. I'm a pretty skinny guy and the straps bruised the skin over my collar bone. There is also insufficient padding on the bottom edges of the back board, though this is something for which I can DIY a fix.

Finally used the Big Agnes Jupiter's Cabin this weekend camping with Amanda. The extra room was nice and it was quick and easy to setup...just what I like. Amanda liked that she was able to stand up inside.

The North Face Allegheny 40 degree bag was nice for the mild desert nights, too.

I'm here to defend my 2012 atmos 50. I used it on the west rim of Zion and had no soreness issues at all.

I have an Atmos that I love. I did have some problems with the first bag but that turned out to be fit issue. Overall, it's been my favorite bag next to my REI flash.

I used my Exos 46 Liter pack on two backpacking trips and had really sore shoulders. But the shoulder straps aren't padded enough on this lightweight pack. Despite those issues I will definitely use it in the future, because I like such a light pack

I used my Exos 46 Liter pack on two backpacking trips and had really sore shoulders. But the shoulder straps aren't enough padded on this lightweight pack. Despite those issues I will definitely use it in the future, because I like such a light pack

I really think you might be better off with a heavier pack with more cushion and support. An extra pound of pack is worth it if it makes that extra pound feel like nothing. That Exos looks slick but those straps have next to nothing for padding. My Kestrel has way more than that and I can tell the difference between that and my Stratos which aren't really that different but worlds away from the Exos. Jus sayin...

Unfortunately I still can't pack everything into my 38L Kestrel pack and the 65L Aura is too big for desert trips. So I guess I will add another pack in the future, something similar to my 46L or a bit smaller.

Unfortunately I still can't pack everything into my 38L Kestrel pack and the 65L Aura is too big for desert trips. So I guess I will add another pack in the future, something similar to my 46L or a bit smaller.

why not toss everything into the aura uncompressed?

You had a lot of stuff dangling on the outside of that 46L on our Maze trip. I would recommend going with something big enough to put it all inside. Better load compression & weight distribution = more comfortable load. Maybe a 50L would be the sweet spot? I definitely wouldn't go smaller if you're having to put stuff on the outside.

IMG_0294.jpg

I'm heading to the Sawtooths in Idaho in 2 weeks and I'm pumped about the new gear I'll be taking. My main goal this year (other than to take better pictures) was to drop as much weight as I could and I think I did pretty well.

New for this trip is:

Panasonic G3 – replaced Cannon P&S
Clik Elite Access – G3 won't fit in the pocket on my pack belt
Marmot Zeus – good-bye fleece
Dueter Act Lite 65+10 – Palisade 80 is being retired
Emberlit UL – not sure this will make it due to fire restrictions
GSI Halulite Ketalist – what boils water better than a kettle?
Smartwool LS shirt – warm, breathable, odor free. Trifecta!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
fiber Looking for backpacking/hiking/mtbing partners Meet Up (Members Only) 2
Nick m4/3 lenses for hiking and backpacking Photography 7
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Scandinavia, Norway & Sweden June-September Backpacking 4
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
forest dweller How did you meet most of your backpacking companions? General Discussion 83
LarryBoy World's Wimpiest Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 19
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0