Back to Bishop, CA

Laura

freespirittraveler
I've been coming to Bishop for hiking and camping for over 20 years, but believe it or not (aside from a workshop with David Muench in 2012) I've never come here for photography. Stan and I stayed here over New Year's and I got some nice shots on just a few outings, so when I saw a storm was supposed to hit the Eastern Sierra I diverted my usual winter trip to Utah/Grand Canyon to Bishop.

The plan was to explore some of the jeep trails since I now have an AWD car, and there are plenty around here. When I got here the clouds were building, and I pulled off the side of the road to capture some of the color:

Tree and cloud Laura Zirino.jpg

The storm was forecast to come in the next day. That morning I drove down Buttermilk Road, not sure where the best view would be. I saw a steep trail up one of the many hills (that I believe are cinder cones) that cover the area. And I mean STEEP, like 20 degrees steep. The light looked to be good, and I started to get panicky, feeling the pressure to NOT SCREW UP THE LIGHT. On my last photo trips I've brought an issue of Outdoor Photographer with an amazing article by David Leland Hyde about getting in touch with the landscape. It's totally inspirational. And I forgot to bring it. I was not in touch with the landscape or my surroundings, and as the mountain peaks lit up I was jumping from place to place trying to find a great view. And not paying attention-I kicked over my camera bag and the 16-35 mm f4 lens I rented went over the edge of a rock and hit the ground. $h!+. I kept shooting cause there was nothing I could do at that point. Got one decent shot:

Sunrise %22Pano%22 Laura Zirino.jpg

The lens could still take pics, but the focus no longer worked and zoom stuck. Fortunately I bought the damage insurance, but geez, what a way to start the trip. And I love that lens. I decided to spend the day scouting for comps, and getting in touch with the landscape. The storm was moving in fast but it was a warm storm so snow was only forecast for 8500 feet at above. Below in the foothills were dust storms and severe winds, 50-70 mph. I've never experienced anything like that, it rocked my car like a tornado. I'd be driving along and suddenly dust would start racing down the road toward me:

BCP Dust Storm Laura Zirino.jpg

Then would envelope the car:

BCP Dust Storm 2 Laura Zirino.jpg

I got the heck out of there and went down to the Owens Valley, which is only 15 miles from this. The difference was amazing-lenticular clouds were building in the sky. I sat right in the valley and tried to capture what it felt to be there. Too bad I didn't have a 16-35mm lens!

The Owens Valley Laura Zirino.jpg
The Owens Valley is the deepest valley in the U.S., between two mountain ranges which can be seen in this photo. What happened in the Owens Valley, something I put on the same scale as the damming of Glen Canyon, is outlined in this excellent article:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/the-public-eye/article2588151.html

Signs that the area is owned by the City of Los Angeles are everywhere. Someone explain what loophole allows Los Angeles to use public funds to buy land and then declare it private:

LA Bastards Laura Zirino.jpg

I can't believe these signs haven't been shot up. Wish I'd had a pellet gun. Or a real one…..

Back to photography-I happily trespassed on this land (it's open for day use) and watched the storm build:

Vertical Tall Tree and Cloud Laura Zirino.jpg

During the night a huge fire broke out, fanned by the fierce winds. I was scared as to what I'd find when I got up the next morning but aside from the smell of smoke there was rain everywhere. The fire was put out that day. It rained all day and I didn't get much shooting, but there was a nice sunrise:

Ordinary Sunrise Laura Zirino.jpg

The next day the storm was forecast to move out, and I hit the Buttermilks with excitement. I'd scouted out some hills that promised good views, and yes, I was in touch with the landscape. Another steep climb, and I let the photos find me instead of the other way around. First there was an incredible view of the valley under moonlight:

Moon Over Valley 2 Laura Zirino-2.jpg

I explored the hills, taking it all in as I waited for dawn. On my right, low clouds filled the valley, and because the light does not hit directly the colors were soft:

Soft Sunrise Larger Laura Zirino.jpg

I was waiting for the light to hit certain peaks directly, which produces that amazing light beam across the mountains. Just as the light began to change, dark clouds moved in front of the peaks. At first I thought the shot I came for was ruined, but I took a few shots anyway. I'm so glad I did. After a day, this become my favorite shot. I'm getting tired of looking at photos (usually in a particular landscape magazine that shall remain nameless) that are so over saturated and overdone that they look like they've had plastic surgery. Beauty isn't perfect, and doesn't need to be:

Sunrise After the Storm Final Laura Zirino.jpg

This was the day that kept on giving. Every time I started to leave, I saw something else. The area is sometimes referred to as the American Alps, and here's why:

Sierra Layers Laura Zirino.jpg

The American Alps Laura Zirino.jpg
The geology of the place is amazing. The Sierras were formed by a combination of volcanic activity and plate movement that formed granite and pushed it upward. Old lava flows and cinder cones are everywhere, and the landscape changes from dry desert to rolling hills and cinder cones, and finally the massive Sierra Nevada:

Owens Valley Layers Laura Zirino.jpg

Owens Layers 2 Laura Zirino.jpg

Late afternoon by Farmer's Pond, brought to you by the L.A. Dept. of Water and Power, who wants to remind you that you are lucky to be allowed here:

Farmer\'s Pond Reflection Laura Zirino.jpg

I didn't have time to explore the petroglyphs, but there are everywhere. Maybe next trip!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,901
Last edited:
Beauty. Sorry about the lens mishap.

Beauty. Sorry about the lens mishap.

So far lens rentals.com has been understanding. Then again, I haven't seen the bill yet. BTW, do you have any idea how L.A. can claim this as private property? They own the entire surrounding region, ensuring they control the water, which they have drained out of the valley. Dust storms are just the tip of the iceberg. The dirty politics in this area make me livid. That's enough, off my soapbox…...

Beautiful shots Laura. I love the moon shot.
About 100 years ago the City of Los Angeles started buying up land and water rights along the Owens River, and built a pipeline to L.A. to serve the water needs of a future L.A. It dried up Owens Lake and created general havoc with the ecosystem.

Beautiful shots Laura. I love the moon shot.
About 100 years ago the City of Los Angeles started buying up land and water rights along the Owens River, and built a pipeline to L.A. to serve the water needs of a future L.A. It dried up Owens Lake and created general havoc with the ecosystem.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but yes, I knew that. That's also rehashed in the news article link I included. What I'm questioning is what loophole allows the city of Los Angeles to claim property as private when it was bought with tax dollars?

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but yes, I knew that. That's also rehashed in the news article link I included. What I'm questioning is what loophole allows the city of Los Angeles to claim property as private when it was bought with tax dollars?

A city is basically just a business that chooses whether or not to allow access to what they own. It seems kind of odd with land because we're used to free access to land owned by the gubernmint, but it's really no different than places like the library, the fire department, courthouse, and so on. They are all 'publicly owned' buildings but the city still decides who can go where and when in them.

Nice photos, btw. I really dig that moon shot.

i know that the cities of seattle and portland have watersheds that are closed to the public as well because they pipe it directly in to the city, and don't want just any body pissing in it. i don't think that it's that uncommon.

not that i know any thing about this particular situation.

but when you compare the areas that you can go, to the areas that you can't, we've still got a pretty sweet deal in the west.

Thanks guys. I've ranted on this before, but Los Angeles obtained the water rights through a ridiculously deceptive campaign (did anyone click on the link to the article in my report? ;) It's very informative, lots of background on what happened here and continues to happen). Seeing their signs all over really burns me up. Los Angeles pretty much owns the entire region around Bishop and beyond.

Missed your link.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've ranted on this before, but Los Angeles obtained the water rights through a ridiculously deceptive campaign (did anyone click on the link to the article in my report? ;) It's very informative, lots of background on what happened here and continues to happen). Seeing their signs all over really burns me up. Los Angeles pretty much owns the entire region around Bishop and beyond.

A lot of what makes L.A. possible as a community is built on the backs of other communities or undeveloped areas. And it's not just L.A. The Lake Powell pipeline to St. George, the Snake Valley water battle for Las Vegas and the Aaron Million project on the Front Range are all symptoms of population growth beyond the immediate area's water supplies.

We're pretty blessed in Salt Lake City that our watersheds are as open and protected as they are. A large part of that is thanks to the wilderness areas surrounding the skyline peaks of the central Wasatch.

A lot of what makes L.A. possible as a community is built on the backs of other communities or undeveloped areas. And it's not just L.A. The Lake Powell pipeline to St. George, the Snake Valley water battle for Las Vegas and the Aaron Million project on the Front Range are all symptoms of population growth beyond the immediate area's water supplies.

We're pretty blessed in Salt Lake City that our watersheds are as open and protected as they are. A large part of that is thanks to the wilderness areas surrounding the skyline peaks of the central Wasatch.

What really makes me angry is the deception that went into the water-grab, though it probably isn't unusual, unfortunately. I'm driving home today and I'll get a shot of what used to be Owens Lake, before L.A. drained it. There used to be a monument that told the story of the demise of the lake in blistering detail. If it's still there I'll get a shot of it.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures! The dust storm ones were actually giving me nostalgia. Dust storms like that were an everyday springtime experience for me growing up in New Mexico. I can just feel the grit on my teeth and in my eyes and the sting on my face looking at the picture taken through the windshield.

Okay, here's some follow up as I drove home yesterday. I remembered seeing a metal plaque that told memorialized the deception of the LA Dept. of Water and Power. I looked for it and surprise, it's been removed. Probably by the LADWP. The LADWP erected a plaque of its own, in stone, no less, in the same fashion as all the historical markers in the area, to its dust control efforts. What they don't say is that it took 50 years of lawsuits and $3 million in fines to get them to do this. This gives you an idea of the strife that's been going on in the area:

Owens Lake Laura Zirino-2.jpg

The missing plaque stated that the Owens Lake was drained as a result of a deceptive campaign by the LADWP to buy the water rights, after which they then diverted the water to Los Angeles and outlined the environmental devastation that resulted. LADWP would rather have you believe farming was the result of the lake disappearing.

Owens Lake was once the largest lake in California. It took ferries 2 hours to cross it. This is what's left:

Owens Lake Laura Zirino-3.jpg

Owens Lake Laura Zirino-4.jpg

The unique beauty of the Owens Valley-cattle ranching in the valley, cinder cones from an ancient lava flow, and finally the Sierra Nevada mountains:
Owens Lake Laura Zirino.jpg

what exactly was the deception? i think i must've missed it in the article you linked.

what exactly was the deception? i think i must've missed it in the article you linked.

In 1913 the LA DWP spread a rumor that the Owens Valley was going to run out of water in the near future and everyone's property there would soon be worthless. Panic spread among the locals, and the LA DWP then offered to buy the water rights to everyone's land, at dirt cheap rates. They pretty much bought the entire Owens Valley, then diverted the Owens River with canals to Los Angeles. They diverted just about ALL the water in the Owens Valley, so much that the Owens Lake disappeared, so they made their rumor become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The locals have been burning mad ever since, even dynamiting the canal at one point.

Last edited: