Album Autumn Colors 2015

here are a few from my mini road trip this past weekend where I stopped on Boulder Mtn. for a bit of hiking

i-dRRHzZw-L.jpg

i-XgpZMhH-L.jpg

i-tkWckcp-L.jpg

A few photos from hiking in southwest Virginia this weekend. This place is seeing fall colors before much of anywhere else out here, yet.

@Aldaron... with peak hitting late this year (it was just peak this weekend in Vermont and it's just turning here in NJ) I was thinking of heading down to northern VA in 2 weeks (Oct 23rd) do you think it'll be too far past peak by then down there? Strange how it looks further along down by you then further north in NJ. Nice pics.

@Aldaron... with peak hitting late this year (it was just peak this weekend in Vermont and it's just turning here in NJ) I was thinking of heading down to northern VA in 2 weeks (Oct 23rd) do you think it'll be too far past peak by then down there? Strange how it looks further along down by you then further north in NJ. Nice pics.
It'd be cutting it close, but you might catch the tail end of the peak colors. I felt like this map was pretty close to what we saw. Most of the good color was up pretty high...the valleys weren't as far along as the mountain tops.

But, hey, I enjoy falling leaves about as much as I enjoy the colors!

It'd be cutting it close, but you might catch the tail end of the peak colors. I felt like this map was pretty close to what we saw. Most of the good color was up pretty high...the valleys weren't as far along as the mountain tops.

But, hey, I enjoy falling leaves about as much as I enjoy the colors!

Thanks, I'll check that map a few days before and decide whether it's worth the 6 hour drive down to Front Royal.

Map ??? Do tell.....

Aldaron linked to a map in his post (the word "map" is a hyperlink). It's a foliage map for VA. BJett linked to a foliage forecast map of the Smokies somewhere earlier in the thread too. I have an app called leaf peepr which is a foliage map but I don't find it as accurate as the local forecast maps.

Aldaron linked to a map in his post (the word "map" is a hyperlink). It's a foliage map for VA. BJett linked to a foliage forecast map of the Smokies somewhere earlier in the thread too. I have an app called leaf peepr which is a foliage map but I don't find it as accurate as the local forecast maps.
I guess I have to get our favorite Admin to tune my white/light background theme. I missed the link. Thanks.

BTW Great shooting John. This is the one time of the year I miss the Appalachians...

This past weekend in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness. Hangover Lead trail to the 5,200' Hangover point. Above 5,000 here in the southern Appalachians, the reds and oranges are really starting to pop. 2 more weeks...

12140893_10152953175091599_2700549415065856300_o.jpg

12095222_10152953175336599_6853194236210583836_o.jpg

I'm planning on Joyce Kilmer next weekend. We'll see how the colors hold up.

they will be great above 4000'. The area is thick with hunters and dogs right now, be safe!

Well, that's why I have these bright orange University of Tennessee hats! It's just bow season, though, right?

I guess it was actually bear gun season this past weekend, but that's over until November.

that explains all the hunters. Not sure what the other seasons are, boar I assume. yeah, Volunteer orange should scare EVERYTHING away. :)