Autumn Ambling

Nick

-
Backpacking.

Feels.

Good.

It's been about a year now since I let some crazy doctor chop my knee up and put a bunch of metal and plastic in where bone and cartilage once were. At this point I have to say it was a catastrophic failure. But I've mostly gotten to know what I can do with my new knee, and what I can't, and when it comes to leisurely backpacking trips in the desert, I'm still feeling pretty optimistic. So in late October of this year, I set out with some friends to see what colors there are to see on the Cottonwoods in the greater Glen Canyon region.

Yes, I am deliberately leaving the location vague here. Not because this place is so spectacular that it must be hidden. Truth be told, it's pretty mediocre compared to the likes of Escalante, Canyonlands, Zion, etc. But there's one uniquely endearing trait about this place: no one goes here. Well, excluding the cows that is. And the canyoneers who like to slither and slide through the sinuous slots and planetary potholes in the area. It's most unique characteristic is the faint likelihood of seeing another human footprint. If you want to figure out where this is, it's pretty easy, but I promise you there are hundreds of more worthy destinations on the Colorado Plateau.

I came through here for the first time a couple years back before the leaves had come out in the spring. Ever since I'd wanted to come back and see the place with a little more life. What better time than when the cottonwoods are transitioning from green to gold? It is my favorite tree after all.

After a night of car camping on a freshly flooded landscape, we found our way to the trailhead and began the walk down canyon. That's @markj, @neiloro and @ashergrey there. Oh, and Sage, of course.
autumn-ambling-850-1.jpg

Soon the canyon walls build. We had the pleasure of seeing a Coyote walking on the canyon wall ahead of us on the way down. I see them now and then from the truck, but I don't think I've ever actually SEEN one while backpacking. I love how the granite contrasts with the wingate here.
autumn-ambling-850-2.jpg

We were hoping for a bit more yellow, but who can complain?
autumn-ambling-850-3.jpg

Soon the dry wash transformed into a flowing stream and the vegetation thickened. We all stopped and admired this bit of color over the stream. We were taking photos as yet another coyote ran across the stream right in front of us. I was just glad Sage didn't feel the need to go after it.
autumn-ambling-850-4.jpg

Colors improved. Walking slowed. All of the sudden my knee wasn't a problem as the rest of the group was far more interested in taking photos than putting down miles. That works.
autumn-ambling-850-5.jpg autumn-ambling-850-6.jpg autumn-ambling-850-7.jpg autumn-ambling-850-8.jpg autumn-ambling-850-9.jpg

A significant flood had come through within the last few days, laying the plentiful grass in the canyon flat. Easy walking.
autumn-ambling-850-10.jpg autumn-ambling-850-11.jpg autumn-ambling-850-12.jpg autumn-ambling-850-13.jpg

Flood lines.
autumn-ambling-850-14.jpg autumn-ambling-850-15.jpg

So many cottonwoods.
autumn-ambling-850-16.jpg autumn-ambling-850-17.jpg

Peculiar sand-based waterfalls throughout the canyon. This place has some subtle, yet fascinating geologic oddities.
autumn-ambling-850-18.jpg autumn-ambling-850-19.jpg autumn-ambling-850-20.jpg autumn-ambling-850-21.jpg

We setup camp a few miles in and unloaded our packs before continuing. There's @ashergrey enjoying the scenery.
autumn-ambling-850-22.jpg
autumn-ambling-850-23.jpg autumn-ambling-850-24.jpg autumn-ambling-850-25.jpg autumn-ambling-850-26.jpg autumn-ambling-850-27.jpg autumn-ambling-850-28.jpg

We bypass a few obstacles and soon the creek pours into a narrow slot.
autumn-ambling-850-29.jpg autumn-ambling-850-30.jpg

We continue for a while and eventually turn back due to the fading light. A couple in the group decided to push on to a waterfall further down. We make it back to camp before dark and settle in. The next morning everything was soaked from the dew, just like the first night, but without the luxury of a cozy motor vehicle to hop into. We took our time eating breakfast and drying off before beginning the walk out.
autumn-ambling-850-31.jpg

I don't know what it is about this place.
autumn-ambling-850-32.jpg autumn-ambling-850-33.jpg autumn-ambling-850-34.jpg autumn-ambling-850-35.jpg autumn-ambling-850-36.jpg

By the end of the trip, we'd put down about 12 miles. It's a little silly, but that felt like a pretty great accomplishment for how my knee has been treating me this year. It was a nice trip.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great pictures. I'm shocked that Sage didn't go after the coyote, smart dog! I have 2 huskies that act before they think things through...

Love that canyon. I'd love to get back down there. Looking great with the smattering of yellows.

The B&W patina shot is extra nice.

Yeah I'm surprised Sage didn't go after them took, but glad she didn't. Great pictures and interesting shots showing the effects of flooding.

Either Sage didn't see it run past or she somehow knows the difference between wildlife and dogs and doesn't care to mess with the wildlife. I've had kit foxes come within 20 feet of us on three occasions now and she played it totally cool. Dogs on the other hand, she'd freak out.

Cottonwoods in autumn can be gorgeous! We hit Coyote in the Escalante a few years back at the end of Oct and it was incredible! The view from the top was probably the best canyon view I ever saw.