Are Thin Socks Appropriate for Backpacking?

markj

A little over a year ago I bought an awesome pair of shoes. At the time they were the perfect fit, made even more perfect considering the various other ill-fitting shoes I tried before them. However, now after putting them to use after a year off, I find they fit way too tight when wearing my usual merino-wool, lightweight running/hiking socks. I can't figure out why, (I'm quite sure I wasn't wearing thinner socks when I first tried the shoes in store), and put the shoes up for sale with the intent of buying a size bigger -- an awkward size 14 and not what I want to wear hiking/running.

But this weekend, with no other options for footwear, I wore the shoes on a quick overnight backpacking trip with only thin dress socks and my feet felt great. It was a very short trip with only 4-5 miles each way, but the shoes felt as good as they did when I first bought them. I've read some forums on trail runners who swear by thin socks only, but I'm sure there's a difference when carrying a heavy load for 40-50 miles. Before I remove the for-sale posting and start wearing them on the regular with thin dress socks or liners, should I be wary of doing so? Besides the lack of cushioning, what else should I be concerned about?

I would say as long as they aren't cotton and made of something that will keep your feet dry it's no biggie. I personally like wrightsock brand synthetic socks. They are thin but double walled to prevent friction which leads to blisters.

If they feel good, do it! I've never gone as thin as dress socks, but some of my favorite hiking socks are the thinner variety.

Footgear is so personal... if it makes your feet happy, it's the right thing to do. I personally triple up three pairs of socks while hiking because it's the only way I can avoid blisters. On the other hand, plenty of hikers (especially those who wear lighter footwear or carry a lighter pack) hike in dress socks and swear by them. If they're working for you, keep using them until something changes!

only thing I would worry about with wearing a "liner" sock (such as fox river or smart wool, etc) is the amount of heel slipping you might get, if you get any at all. Also keep in mind our feet do spread out as we age.

As for socks, Darn Tough are probably the best socks on the market. Made in Vermont, AND have a lifetime warranty! No joke!

only thing I would worry about with wearing a "liner" sock (such as fox river or smart wool, etc) is the amount of heel slipping you might get, if you get any at all. Also keep in mind our feet do spread out as we age.

As for socks, Darn Tough are probably the best socks on the market. Made in Vermont, AND have a lifetime warranty! No joke!

I've heard good things about Darn Tough. I've seen videos of thru hikers on the AT and elsewhere who gave them great reviews and were able to take advantage of the lifetime warranty with replacements sent when needed along their hikes, which wasn't often.

I've heard good things about Darn Tough. I've seen videos of thru hikers on the AT and elsewhere who gave them great reviews and were able to take advantage of the lifetime warranty with replacements sent when needed along their hikes, which wasn't often.

I have a few pairs of darn tough for 2 years now, and have worn them both on backpacking trips and as everyday socks. They look almost new and fit like they are new! They hit a home run with those socks.

Reactions: Opi
I had the same experience with a pair of Keen's I bought last year. Last summer they worked great, but when I tried to wear them this summer they had either shrunk significantly or my arches collapsed, because they no longer fit at all.

I've had 4 different models of hiking boots over the past 14 years and found that for each I've kind of had to fine tune their fit with the appropriate sock and insole. Socks have been thin to fairly thick and in between.

Back