Aperture is dead

Well, after a little poking around I've found several people, some pundits I don't trust, but one I do that are saying stay pat and see what is in store for the Aperture replacement "Photos". These folks are at WWDC and seeing some of the code and screenshots for the new program and software architecture. So I will stand pat at this point.

Opinion I trust:
https://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2014/6/27/aperture-dead-long-live-photos#.U7HkS41dXSJ
https://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2014/6/30/closer-look-photos-adjustments-bar#.U7Hml41dXSI

a valuable site to me:
https://www.apertureexpert.com

"Beartooh", where is that? :D

That would be one way to ease the pain. But running a global search for all images "Beartooh" (mountains), or 4-5 star (quality), green label (published publicly), or the "wildlife" label over my 60K images can no longer occur.

When I run up against impediments like that I tend to disuse the older, orphaned, library. That is, in this case, the 60K images.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is the big problem. Adobe's move to subscription-based pricing rubs me the wrong way.

x2. I'm just getting started with lightroom and i really like it. However, I don't like it enough to pay $50/month to use it.

I would buy a hardcopy version of lightroom (elements) for $150 if that were an option, but I'm just not using it enough to justify the expense of a creative cloud subscription.

The subscription model has worked out really well for me, but I was already using a good chunk of their software packages on a regular basis for work, so it was a no brainier. I enjoy having the most recent updates so I am consistent between work use and home use.

You can just get Lightroom for 20 bucks a month, which still seems a bit heavy for what it is.

I wish they would streamline the rest of the CC programs to that price structure they are using with Photoshop and Lightroom. Maybe just charge $10 per for the other things for people who don't want them all. I only occasionally need Illustrator and Premier so I'm stuck paying $50 per month. And I can't use old versions because I have to pass files back and forth with my biggest client. :mad:

that would be awesome. I use premiere daily, but I purchased the version before they went to CC. I'm reluctant to go to CC because if I ever decide I can't afford to continue it, I'm doomed and I have nothing to work with.

magine if microsoft or apple charged a monthly fee to use their OS!

Last edited:
I don't use Lightroom...I manage mine the old-fashioned way in folders on my hard drives with Bridge. But if all my images were stored in a library, I know there would be a lot more than 60k! :)
The 60K is the number of actual images. The library file size is up closer to a terabyte. :cool: How many actual images in your pictures subdirectory?

The subscription model has worked out really well for me, but I was already using a good chunk of their software packages on a regular basis for work, so it was a no brainier.
You recognize that Adobe lets you run the same programs on your home and work computers with one subscription, right?

You still hanging onto Aperture, @langutah? Heard any new rumors about Photos? It's finally time to start my 2015 album and I'm thinking I might finally take the Lightroom plunge.

You still hanging onto Aperture, @langutah? Heard any new rumors about Photos? It's finally time to start my 2015 album and I'm thinking I might finally take the Lightroom plunge.
Yes I am and no regrets so far. I am intensely interested in what Photos will look like because I like new software and the UI. Switching to LR has no real interest at this point since I can do everything I need to do in A right now and it will be a LOT of work to switch. I don't trust the adobe importer/converter for my database.

What is a 2015 album?

I think I've heard that before ;)

I think I've heard that before ;)

I think each Dec/Jan for the last two years, but this time is unique as Aperture wasn't dead then!

What is a 2015 album?

Sorry, I meant 2015 Library. Aperture's performance degrades when your library gets too big, so I split mine out by year. Since it's time to start my 2015 Library, it seems an appropriate time whether to make the switch now.