2017 Eclipse

From all the talk at work it sounds like this area is going to be a zoo for this Eclipse. I heard some place in Japan called to rent the top of Menan Butte so they could watch the eclipse. I have a friend who rents rooms on Air BnB she has for a long time. She had a couple from back east book one of her rooms over a year ago. She had no clue about the eclipse. All her rooms for that day booked out over 8 months ago. She was saying that there has been a huge influx of new renters just for that day and the prices are stupid expensive for example some guy renting his pasture for $200 to set your tent in.

I was in St. George for the Ring of Fire and kinda felt fortunate that I planted myself in Idaho Falls with this Eclipse. But the more talk I hear I almost want to ditch town that week. Should be interesting.

At any rate I work that day and will be walking outside now and again to see the blessed events progress.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ha!!!! Wouldn't that be hysterical if the Idaho Falls and surrounding area was under cloud coverage the entire event.

Ha!!!! Wouldn't that be hysterical if the Idaho Falls and surrounding area was under cloud coverage the entire event.

Irony.

Yes, from previous hard-learned experience chasing a totality in southern Mexico 20 years ago it pays to be mobile. We woke up to clouds in Puerto Vallarta eclipse morning and hired a taxi driver to head Norte! Excorciating him the whole way "no nube!" It worked. He landed us in a tiny fishing village on the coast with no clouds and a population huddling under the cabana to avoid the physical and metaphysical risks. We enjoyed a beautiful event and helped the locals do the same. Stay mobile! It is an event not to be missed, I promise!

Last edited:
Irony.

Yes, from previous hard-learned experience chasing a totality in southern Mexico 20 years ago it pays to be mobile. We woke up to clouds in Puerto Vallarta eclipse morning and hired a taxi driver to head Norte! Excorciating him the whole way "no nueve!" It worked. He landed us in a tiny fishing village on the coast with no clouds and a population huddling under the cabana to avoid the physical and metaphysical risks. We enjoyed a beautiful event and helped the locals do the same. Stay mobile! It is an event not to be missed.
I am stuck being the lab rat I am that day. I will be as mobile as the closest door to the outside. Sadly that one points West and tucked back behind a few trees and another building. But hopefully we can take turns and walk out front for a good view.

I don't really get it. We took a peak at the one in Southern Utah several years ago as we were finishing up The Subway. It was just getting started and we drove home through it. Everyone was parked all over the place staring up with their special glasses. I was just stoked there was less traffic on the highway and the light was kind of weird. I'll be on a river far from the viewing zone for this one, and I'm a-okay with that. But I hope everyone else goes to Idaho and Wyoming. :)

I don't really get it. We took a peak at the one in Southern Utah several years ago as we were finishing up The Subway. It was just getting started and we drove home through it. Everyone was parked all over the place staring up with their special glasses. I was just stoked there was less traffic on the highway and the light was kind of weird. I'll be on a river far from the viewing zone for this one, and I'm a-okay with that. But I hope everyone else goes to Idaho and Wyoming. :)
Sarah and I were on that Subway trip. It was her first time through. She kept me up to date on the progress of the eclipse as we drove back to St. George.

I don't really get it.

You don't get that some people might want to experience a possible once-in-a-lifetime event? The last time this happened in the US was before I was born and I may not make it to the next one (but if I do, it will come right over Grand Junction)...so I'm going to try and experience it. I enjoyed watching the Annual Eclipse back in 2012.

Well sorry, Randy. Poor choice of words, perhaps. Yeah, I guess I get why people flock to it, I just don't find it appealing enough to go out of my way, especially given the surrounding hoopla.

Irony.

Yes, from previous hard-learned experience chasing a totality in southern Mexico 20 years ago it pays to be mobile. We woke up to clouds in Puerto Vallarta eclipse morning and hired a taxi driver to head Norte! Excorciating him the whole way "no nueve!" It worked. He landed us in a tiny fishing village on the coast with no clouds and a population huddling under the cabana to avoid the physical and metaphysical risks. We enjoyed a beautiful event and helped the locals do the same. Stay mobile! It is an event not to be missed, I promise!

Sayulita?

Sayulita?
Might be. I need to dredge the maps and the memory.

I also need to look up what type of eclipse you saw or partially saw. If an annular or partial eclipse then you would be under-inspired. A totality is totally different. In fact I will personally call you and describe it and my experience to educatemacate you or maybe type it out here. You know I am not one prone to embellish. Course, maybe you are an astronomical-luddite. ;)

I highly doubt it...

Last edited:
Irony.

Yes, from previous hard-learned experience chasing a totality in southern Mexico 20 years ago it pays to be mobile. We woke up to clouds in Puerto Vallarta eclipse morning and hired a taxi driver to head Norte! Excorciating him the whole way "no nueve!" It worked. He landed us in a tiny fishing village on the coast with no clouds and a population huddling under the cabana to avoid the physical and metaphysical risks. We enjoyed a beautiful event and helped the locals do the same. Stay mobile! It is an event not to be missed, I promise!
I think the word you were looking for was actually "nube" :) Glad the driver got the idea :)

I think the word you were looking for was actually "nube" :) Glad the driver got the idea :)
Exactly. We communicated entirely from the backseat while he sped along these dangerous 1.5 lane asphalt highways by looking up single words in our translation dictionary.....:facepalm:

Last edited:

I also need to look up what type of eclipse you saw or partially saw. If an annular or partial eclipse then you would be under-inspired. A totality is totally different. In fact I will personally call you and describe it and my experience to educatemacate you or maybe type it out here. You know I am not one prone to embellish. Course, maybe you are an astronomical-luddite. ;)

I hihgly doubt it...

I highly doubt it...
Possible analogies for you Nicholas ...

annular eclipse >> total eclipse - as- point-and-shoot Milky Way photography >> DSLR Milky Way photography

That is not quite right. Maybe:

annular eclipse >> total eclipse -as- houseboating Lake Powell in a party palace >> walking the Glen Canyon tributaries as they are newly exposed and re-growing.

That's not it, either. Working on it....

Possible analogies for you Nicholas ...

annular eclipse >> total eclipse - as- point-and-shoot Milky Way photography >> DSLR Milky Way photography

That is not quite right. Maybe:

annular eclipse >> total eclipse -as- houseboating Lake Powell in a party palace >> walking the Glen Canyon tributaries as they are newly exposed and re-growing.

That's not it, either. Working on it....

I need more @Artemus! Don't make me regret my coveted Desolation permit.

I highly doubt it...
Looks like it was an annular eclipse if it was this May 20, 2012 one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012

Totality is different and awesome.