2012 Plans

I did Joshua Tree, Sedona, Flagstaff, Mohave Desert 2 years ago for Spring Break. There really is a lot to explore out there!

One of my plans is to hike the Tecumseh trail in Indiana. It's about 45 miles long. If I hurry I might still have time to learn how to roll a kayak in an indoor pool this winter. I'm sure I'll come more as the year goes on.

My biggest goal for this year is to get backpacking. When I get my tax return I plan to shell it out on gear, then start with some small trips and work my way up. My dad and brother plan to do a 5 day backpack around Four Lakes Basin in the Uintas for Labor Day weekend and I want to be able to join them. My other big goal for this year is to pull off a kick ass Four Corners trip. Some of the highlights would include Mesa Verde, Bisti Badlands, and Canyon De Chelly.
Hey, Bisti isn't so far from where I live (Placitas, NM) and I've been there several times. So if you or any other forum members ever want somebody to show you around the place, give me a shout.

Hey, Bisti isn't so far from where I live (Placitas, NM) and I've been there several times. So if you or any other forum members ever want somebody to show you around the place, give me a shout.

Nice! Thanks John. I'll keep that in mind for when I firm up my plans for that trip. You probably know where all the cool spots are.:)

17. I'd also like to explore some to the north (Wyoming- Wind River) but need to do some more research. Anyone willing? Send me some info.
Are you looking to backpack or day hike?
I usually recommend Big Sandy to people going to the Winds for their first time. It's a short (6 miles), fairly easy hike in and very beautiful! It is popular though, especially if you go over to the Cirque of the Towers.

Lone Peak.

It's been on my list for about five years. If I don't get it done soon it's just going to keep mocking me.

Other than that, I'm not planning any further than next weekend right now. I'll probably hit Timp (it's been more than a year since I've been there), Jackson Hole with the family (loungin'), and Cabo in November for a family wedding.

I usually travel solo and I'm always looking for fun, adventurous travel buddies. If you're interested in joining me for any of these trips, give me a shout!

1. Trying to get in a North Carolina weekend ski trip to Beech Mountain. Friends are letting me use their condo for only the cleaning lady fee, so this will be a dirt cheap trip. I'll be driving there and can pick anyone up from the airport if needed.

2. Summer scuba trip to Islamorada in the Keys. Sofa surfing at a friends, so this is another cheap trip.

3. Random kayaking trips in North Florida and the West coast of FL. Suwannee River is a favorite with all the beautiful springs. Camping on the banks of the river along the way. Spring, Summer and Fall - I don't care when I go as long as I go! I'm hoping to make it all the way out to the Gulf of Mexico at some point.

4. Canyons: There's a special place in my heart for the San Rafael Swell area. I want to plan a Fall trip to include the swell, Lake Powell and Arches/Moab. I'm working on my rock climbing skills in the rock gym, hoping to be able to hit some more technical areas.

Check out my facebook albumns from a couple trips and while you're there, friend me!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2141672354821.116805.1636585139&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/media/album...?set=a.2151932571320.117175.1636585139&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/media/album...?set=a.1838676220107.103734.1636585139&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/media/album.../?set=a.1475619623919.61136.1636585139&type=3

I have a few trips in the works already... Moab next month, Coyote Buttes North in April, Point Reyes in April, and Glacier in July.But I'm really focused on backpacking more with the family this year so I've been stocking up on smaller lighter gear. When all is said and done I plan on carrying the bulk of the gear for the five of us while my wife carries our youngest in a child carrier.

I have a few trips in the works already... Moab next month, Coyote Buttes North in April, Point Reyes in April, and Glacier in July.But I'm really focused on backpacking more with the family this year so I've been stocking up on smaller lighter gear. When all is said and done I plan on carrying the bulk of the gear for the five of us while my wife carries our youngest in a child carrier.

You need a wagon.

You need a wagon.

Tell me about it...
I have a Osprey Pro deal so Im thinking about picking up and Ariel 65 for my wife, Aether 70 for myself, and a jib 35 for my 8yo. She cant use the Ariel for backpacking this year because she'll being hauling the baby in the Kelty Fc3 so the major issue I have right now is if will everything fit the Aether70.... or do I go with the humongous 85. My 8yo has mixed feelings about backpacks, sometimes he does well other days not so well. I just picked him up a 30° - 2lb 2oz down marmot bag so if he can just back that and his clothes I think I'll have plenty of room with the 70.

Are you looking to backpack or day hike?
I usually recommend Big Sandy to people going to the Winds for their first time. It's a short (6 miles), fairly easy hike in and very beautiful! It is popular though, especially if you go over to the Cirque of the Towers.
Honestly, If I am going to drive all that way, I'd like to spend some time. Coming up from Colorado. IF we did a short hike instead of back back, what else could we do in that area? Suggestions? Thanks so much!

My plans for 2012 are as follows:-

1) Valley of Fire SP, Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon in May 2012.
2) Area around Moab in early October. Would love to go to False Kiva and Klondike Bluffs.
3) West Virginia Fall Trip in late October.

Honestly, If I am going to drive all that way, I'd like to spend some time. Coming up from Colorado. IF we did a short hike instead of back back, what else could we do in that area? Suggestions? Thanks so much!
I wouldn't day hike the big sandy area unless you're into putting a lot of miles in. The first part of the hike is mostly in the trees. If I were to day hike I think I would hit up the green river lakes area. I have yet to make it into this area, but everyone says it's one of the most pretty areas of the Winds. The plus to this area is that you're pretty much instantly into the pretty areas without having to hike a while through the trees like other areas.

Lone Peak.

It's been on my list for about five years. If I don't get it done soon it's just going to keep mocking me.

This photo from Summitpost makes it look like a lot of fun! :naughty:
135307.JPG