Yellowstone Snowcoach Tour

Melissa

Well, it's not backpacking or camping, but it IS my very first trip report. As a belated Christmas present, Neiloro and I took a trip to Yellowstone to check out winter in the park. Being unfamiliar with Yellowstone in winter and having very little time to plan, we booked a snowcoach tour package with Yellowstone Alpen Guides that included three nights at a hotel in West Yellowstone and two tours in the park--one to Old Faithful and one to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Overall, we loved the experience and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for an easy winter getaway. Now that we've done it, we would probably opt to do something more adventurous next time rather than do another snowcoach tour.

The drive from Salt Lake City up through Idaho made for a scenic start to our road trip:
yellowstone_road_trip.jpg

In hindsight, I wish I'd taken the extra time to book our own hotel separately rather than going with what the tour package included. Things looked fine at the Yellowstone Lodge on our arrival in West Yellowstone, but the place was just too noisy for us, between snowmobile traffic, hearing every single step people on floors above us took, and some very loud machine like a generator that would kick on and make me think the apocalypse had arrived.

yellowstone_lodge.jpg

Our first tour was to Old Faithful. The tour company picked us up in our stylin' snowcoach and we headed for the Park. If you're willing to risk cramped quarters, the historic snowcoaches run by Yellowstone Alpen Guides are totally the way to go. They're by far the coolest coaches in the park and have neat features like skylights that you can poke your head out of. The only downside is that if the coach is full, you WILL be getting cosy with your neighbors. Maximum group size is ten for this coach:

yellowstone_snowcoach.jpg

On entering the park, we were blown away by the variety of wildlife we could easily see from the snowcoach. The first part of the trip is through the Madison River corridor, and this is where we saw most of the cool wildlife: bison, elk, a bobcat, coyotes, bald eagles, a golden eagle, swans, a great blue heron, foxes, etc.

yellowstone_madison_river.jpg

There was an elk corpse down on the bank of the Madison, and it was pretty cool to watch the eagles and coyotes picking at what was left. Unfortunately, I couldn't really capture most of the wildlife with my iPhone. Here are some swans:

yellowstone_swans.jpg

And a bison we met on the road:

yellowstone_bison.jpg

My favorite part of the day by far was the optional drop-off at Biscuit Basin (about 2 miles from Old Faithful) where we got out of the coach and snowshoed to Old Faithful. I could have spent a whole day exploring out in the geyser basin behind Old Faithful:

yellowstone_geyser_basin.jpg

yellowstone_geyser.jpg

The backside of the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Seems like a cool place to stay if it weren't so darn expensive:

yellowstone_lodge_old_faithful.jpg

Old Faithful was both late and underwhelming when it did erupt, partly due to weather conditions, and partly because I'd gotten sweaty on the snowshoe and then sat down on a snowbank in the cold to wait for the eruption, where I got pretty cold. I never did get warm again that day, but I did see Old Faithful erupt:

yellowstone_old_faithful.jpg

Food options are pretty limited in West Yellowstone in the winter. We went out for some pizza and then collapsed in our room. The next day, we were delighted to find that our snowcoach to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone had only five people including us and our guide, so we had lots of room to spread out for our second tour. We loved our guide for this second tour--ask for Jack if you're planning to go out with the same outfitters. Weather conditions were pretty bad that day, and we couldn't really get decent shots of the falls on the Yellowstone River. This may be Firehole Falls, I can't quite remember:

yellowstone_firehole_falls.jpg

The only thing I wished for this day was more opportunities to get out and walk around, but it was only possible to go for a short walk around Norris Geyser Basin, which is exactly what I imagine some other planet looks like:

yellowstone_norris_basin.jpg

My awesome trip companion Nilauro in the mist at Norris Geyser Basin:

yellowstone_nilauro.jpg

The highlight of our return journey to West Yellowstone was seeing the "bobarazzi" (a dozen photographers with long lenses taking hundreds of shots of a bobcat) camped out on the bank of the Madison River. The bobcat was too far away for me to photograph, though.

Before we headed back to Salt Lake the next day, we stopped in at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. The center is home to animals which would otherwise have been put down. This is a great way to see grizzlies and wolves up close without getting eaten:

Photo Feb 24, 11 36 45 AM.jpg

In conclusion, we had a great time, and are now eager to do more foot-based winter exploration. I'd love to do a winter trip through the north entrance at Gardiner except that it's too long a drive from Salt Lake for a weekend trip. I'm thinking we may want to explore Grand Teton as a future winter getaway destination. I'd like to find a place we can get to for a weekend trip and still have time to do more snowshoeing/cross country skiing.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

We spent a couple nights at the snow lodge in Old Faithful in January. It's a great time of the year to visit the park!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nice report! In all the times I have been to the Park I have yet to go in the winter. Maybe this year.

Melissa you are making me more and more excited. Yellowstone in the winter! Beautiful!! Can't wait to snowshoe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nice report. Was there one winter for a week when my daughter worked there. Can't beat free lodging and free access to coaches/trips. I think the falls are Gibbon falls along the highway from Madison.

Nice report. Was there one winter for a week when my daughter worked there. Can't beat free lodging and free access to coaches/trips. I think the falls are Gibbon falls along the highway from Madison.
Gibbon Falls, yes! That's it! Thanks Bob.

Wonderful trip, and glad to see some snow after this horrible warm winter (down here in CA anyway). Beautiful pics, I've got to put this on my to-see list.

Hey I'm looking at visiting Yellowstone in a couple days as a last minute deal. @Melissa @neiloro any advice? Can you take a snow coach out and cross country ski around old faithful, or are you just stuck?

Are you looking at going in through West, Tetons, or Mammoth? Day trips in the park or spending the night?

Are you looking at going in through West, Tetons, or Mammoth? Day trips in the park or spending the night?
we are in driggs right now so West. I don't think we will be spending the night due to lack of funds, so a day trip to arrive early, get out, ski a bit if we can and see some wildlife and hot water!

If you're staying in West, I like the Stage Coach Inn. They usually have the cheapest rooms, underground parking, and a great breakfast. Ask for a room upstairs and away from the street. There are several snowcoach companies that run to Old Faithful. We usually go with Alpen Guides, but there are several others.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/snowmobiles-snowcoaches.htm

You may have to call around with the short notice. Also, ask about bringing your skis and if they'll drop you off a few miles outside of Old Faithful, usually at Biscuit Basin. They usually spend a few hours there before returning to West. The boardwalks within the geyser basins are frequently icy, so a simple set of Yak Tracks may come in handy. Geyser Grill at the Snow Lodge is open for lunch or bring your own so you have more time to explore. There's an app called Geyser Times that is great for knowing the eruption schedules of the main geysers while you're there. You'll often see bison and coyotes near the geyser basins. And you'll probably see swans, bison, and elk along the Madison. There's been a bobcat frequenting the river this winter too.

If you have time, spend a half day at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West. It's a great experience. Many of the restaurants in West are closed in the winter. The Madison Crossing Lounge was pretty good or there are several pizza places. There are also a couple grocery stores.