Album Wildlife

LOVE that little clip!

Don't think that a yucca broke those antlers though. He could have done it to himself trying to thrash something more solid, but those look like exactly the kind of breaks that happen from sparring or actually fighting with other bucks. Usually start seeing quite a bit of that in mid to late Nov., when the rut starts to heat up, but a little bit unusual this early, though not terribly out of the ordinarly either.

Some broken antler I saw in the Henry's last November...

_MG_4902W.jpg

No doubt he broke his fighting to keep other buck away from his lady friends.

_MG_4879W.jpg

- DAA

This is cool.

Wild! Wild! Moose have a specially designed (by evolution) shoulder that allows them to lift their front leg up so their hoof is almost nose height - the better to contend with deep snow. We just saw that functionality in action. Didn't seem to stressed out really. Getting off the track didn't seem to slow it down much either. Good find, @Nick!

I didn't understand a word of it except for a couple of "oh chit" and maybe one eff bomb at the end. That thing was a plowing like it was nothing though.

- DAA

Gotta teach him a lesson...that elk's gonna go pick a fight now, thinking he's ready for his own harem. :)

After watching the video, do you think this guy even realized how close he was to potentially getting gored in the face? One good head bow and upswing and this guy is eating antler.

After watching the video, do you think this guy even realized how close he was to potentially getting gored in the face? One good head bow and upswing and this guy is eating antler.

I was wondering the same thing. Considering how easy it usually is (and how easy it appeared to actually be) to get away from an elk that isn't trying hard to gore you, considering that he didn't try to get away for a long time, and considering that no one tried to help him, I'm guessing that no one realized what kind of danger he was in. I'm not very surprised by that, though. Since elk are VERY new to the Smokies, people aren't accustomed to them and wouldn't know much about them. People back home are pretty much just scared of bears...who ever heard of a big deer attacking someone? :)

I was wondering the same thing. Considering how easy it usually is (and how easy it appeared to actually be) to get away from an elk that isn't trying hard to gore you, considering that he didn't try to get away for a long time, and considering that no one tried to help him, I'm guessing that no one realized what kind of danger he was in. I'm not very surprised by that, though. Since elk are VERY new to the Smokies, people aren't accustomed to them and wouldn't know much about them. People back home are pretty much just scared of bears...who ever heard of a big deer attacking someone? :)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised either, considering how many people go to Yellowstone each year and take pictures near bison. Because they don't know much about them, they think that bison are docile like cows. That is until the thunder of god is released on their ass, but then it's to late.

I have to confess that just after moving out to Utah that I once followed a young bull moose trying to get good pictures of him. I was WAY too close. I would never have gotten that close if I had known then what I know now about moose.

Nice! Is that a fish tail in the eagle's mouth?!
That is a tail in the mouth of that eagle Nick. It's a sockeye salmon and there's part of the body by its foot.

Recent mule deer pic that I kind of like.

20131114_Wildlife-72W.jpg

One of those ones, probably isn't really very good, but it was low light, deer moving, handheld, yadda-yadda to where I was happy just to get something useable at all, so I see this and think it turned out pretty good. For anyone who didn't actually take the picture though, really nothing too special.

- DAA

Recent mule deer pic that I kind of like.

One of those ones, probably isn't really very good, but it was low light, deer moving, handheld, yadda-yadda to where I was happy just to get something useable at all, so I see this and think it turned out pretty good. For anyone who didn't actually take the picture though, really nothing too special.

- DAA
Nice shot! Looks like a 26" spread.