Valley of the Gods - Supermoon

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
First off, it's hard for me to rationalize posting a thread on Backcountrypost that isn't really backcountry. My mind just yells at me to stop, but my hands keep typing. Because of this fight going on it took me awhile to post on here, but the original post is on the blog.

IMG_6020.jpg
IMG_6022.jpg

When I heard a Supermoon was happening, I got all stoked. I knew a shot that I wanted to take and I had the camera gear to get it (hypothetically, because I don't really have the know-how to get the shot I wanted). Both unluckily and luckily the cloud cover at the Valley of the Gods prevented me from the photo I was looking for.

My wife and I did enjoy a beautiful moon-lit drive through the Valley. This was the first time I had entered the area. I have seen from afar; as I drive from BLuff to Mexican Hat and viceversa on a regular basis now, but never gone up in the Valley. @IntrepidXJ's photos from the BLuff Balloon Festival made this a place on my tick-list. It should be on everyones tick-list. It's a gorgeous "off-road" drive. The towers are spectacular, especially at night under the moon.

IMG_6043.jpg IMG_6030.jpg

I get why the Navajo's thought the features were frozen warriors. The shapes all look to have faces or bodies and every point-of-view makes the shape shift into a different view. Lady in the Tub is the best, but each wall and tower has it's own personality as you drive by. I watched one shape change from a tall slender man (not to be confused with the Internet urban legend Slenderman) into a morbidly obese character next to Toothless, the dragon from How To Train Your Dragon. It was awesome. Not possible to capture on video or photo because it was just what I saw.

IMG_6049.jpg

Now that I got done typing that and reading back over I realize it sounds like we might have been smokin' something or gotten into some moonflower. No, it's more of a watching the clouds sort of thing. Hahaha.

Anyway, great place Valley of the Gods.

IMG_6054.jpg IMG_6055.jpg IMG_6056.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

First off, it's hard for me to rationalize posting a thread on Backcountrypost that isn't really backcountry. My mind just yells at me to stop, but my hands keep typing.

Dear Keith's hands,

Please keep overriding his mind. We really, really like this stuff. Backcountry schmackcountry, we love the outdoors. Period.

Sincerely,

BCP People

Dear Keith's hands,

Please keep overriding his mind. We really, really like this stuff. Backcountry schmackcountry, we love the outdoors. Period.

Sincerely,

BCP People

Touchė!

If this website were limited to the backcountry you'd never see anything from me. Awesome shots, thank you for sharing! That place is on my to-do list and this post reinforced that. My favorite shot hands down is the moon behind the cloud next to the rock formation-too cool!

Nice report. It is indeed a beautiful area. I camped on a cliff at the top of the Moqui Dugway last summer. The view is incredible.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
piper01 Wolfman Panel, Comb Ridge/Valley of the Gods Hiking & Camping 3
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 2 (3.7.20-03.8.20) Backpacking 15
A Info on Tehipite Valley Trip Planning 1
Miya Death Valley Birthday - Part 1 (3.5.20-3.6.20) Hiking & Camping 28
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Backpacking 7
westy Meadow Valley Mountains Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler Death Valley Trip Planning 7
J Death Valley National Park Keene Canyon-Wonder Mine Loop. Dec. 3, 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley NP: Corkscrew and Artist Palette Peaks, scramble dayhikes Nov 2019 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP. Marble-Cottonwood (side slot) lollipop loop Nov 17-19,2019 Backpacking 10
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
fossana Browns Point > Summit > Whipple loop (Pine Valley Mountains Wilderness, UT) Hiking & Camping 1
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
C Skutumpah road closed at Bull Valley Gorge General Discussion 9
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2