Twomile Canyon to Bowknot Saddle

Udink

Still right here.
There's an old stock trail in the right fork of Twomile Canyon that connects the highlands of Keg Point to the Green River in Labyrinth Canyon, 1,200' below. It's one of relatively few places to access Labyrinth Canyon from the rim. Several months ago Wade began planning a trip down the trail to the river, then upstream along Oak Bottom, ending with a climb up to Bowknot Saddle to see some historic inscriptions. We set a date about a month in advance of the trip and, on Saturday morning, met near Keg Knoll where most people start their hike to Colonnade Arch. Alan rode with me from Price, and we met Wade and his family along with new hiking buddy and history buff Lyman. We set out across the slickrock to the northeast and in a short time located a cairn marking the top of the trail.

Obligatory photo of Horse Bench Reservoir during the drive south
IMG_9038.JPG

Getting ready to hike
IMG_9039.JPG

Scooting down the chute
IMG_9044.JPG

Approaching the top of the trail
IMG_9051.JPG

Dinosaur footprint?
IMG_9052.JPG

Lyman near the top of the trail
IMG_9054.JPG

Break in the cliff at the top of the trail (left) and cairn marker
IMG_9057.JPG

A break in the cliffs led down to a short section that had been blasted out of the sandstone. There were a couple of short, constructed switchbacks before the trail turned west and leveled out. It then descended a long and rocky talus slope to the bottom of the right fork of Twomile Canyon. It took us an hour and 40 minutes to hike from the vehicles to the bottom of the canyon, where we rested up a bit before moving along.

View straight down on the trail
IMG_9059.JPG

Colonnade Arch
IMG_9063.JPG

Green River at the mouth of Twomile Canyon
IMG_9075.JPG

Starting down the trail
IMG_9079.JPG

The trail descends the cliff break on the right
IMG_9081.JPG

Lyman and Alan
IMG_9090.JPG

Dropping down some ledges
IMG_9095.JPG

"Sundry" inscription
IMG_9099.JPG

View from the trail toward the top
IMG_9100.JPG

View up the trail from near the bottom
IMG_9118.JPG

The hike down Twomile Canyon was fairly level and easy. A few of us spread out and we checked the large boulders in the canyon's bottom for rock art and inscriptions. We found a few modern names scratched into the sandstone but one 1901 inscription stood out: J.W. Shand from Manti, Utah. At the mouth of Twomile Canyon we turned northeast and hiked along a flat bench above the banks of the Green River. It was easy hiking and there was even sort of a trail along most of the bench. We reached the lower end of Oak Bottom and that's where it got a little difficult.

Hiking down Twomile Canyon
IMG_9126.JPG

View up the main fork of Twomile Canyon
IMG_9127.JPG

A faint inscription: J.W. Shand, Manti, 1901
IMG_9136.JPG

Hiking along the bench above the Green River
IMG_9147.JPG

Crossing a drainage and climbing back onto the bench
IMG_9152.JPG

Oak Bottom with Bowknot Saddle beyond it
IMG_9160.JPG

Oak Bottom is completely choked with trees and brush between the river bank and the talus slope at the bottom of Labyrinth Canyon's vertical walls. Our only real option was to scramble across the rocky talus for about a quarter of a mile until the brush eased and we were able to walk on the relatively flat flood plain. In the less brushy section of Oak Bottom we encountered a large boulder with the names of several sheepherders carved into it. Near the upper end of Oak Bottom we were surprised to find a rock with the initials of the "Lucky Thirteen," a group of early river runners who later completed a trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon.

There are two options to travel up Oak Bottom: scrambling or bushwhacking
IMG_9167.JPG

Near the end of the scrambling along Oak Bottom
IMG_9172.JPG

Chad Moore, Oct. XX, '44
IMG_9178.JPG

J.W.S. (another from Shand)
IMG_9181.JPG

April 18, 1936, A.J. Marsing
IMG_9185.JPG

A. Moore, Jan. 10, 1939
IMG_9187.JPG

Boulder with inscriptions along Oak Bottom
IMG_9195.JPG

Green River below Bowknot Saddle
IMG_9205_stitch.jpg

The "Lucky Thirteen" from 1927
IMG_9212.JPG

Oak Bottom pinches out to nothing at its upper end, just below Bowknot Saddle, which is where we began our ascent. The original route up that we'd planned looked impossible from the bottom, so we spent a lot of time scrambling up and down looking for a break in the cliffs that would lead us up to the saddle. A couple of us (myself included) were getting a little exhausted, and it was already late enough in the day that we were certain to run out of daylight for the return trip. Wade kept at it, though, and finally found a route to the saddle! Lyman and I were the only ones to follow. Wade guided us up from above and we met him near the inscriptions that we came for. There were names from early explorers, miners, and river runners, with dates ranging from the early 1900s well into the 1940s.

Start of the ascent to Bowknot Saddle
IMG_9218.JPG

Climbing up to Bowknot Saddle
IMG_9228.JPG

Dead end number one
IMG_9238.JPG

Panorama below the saddle
IMG_9239_stitch.jpg

Downstream along the Green
IMG_9247_stitch.jpg

Finally on the right path to the saddle
IMG_9250.JPG

Bowknot Saddle
IMG_9260_stitch.jpg

Photographing old inscriptions
IMG_9262.JPG

Norville Edwin Wolverton, 9/1/05
IMG_9266.JPG

Kolb Bros., 10/11 (bio here)
IMG_9268.JPG

E. Wolverton, 9-2
IMG_9271.JPG

Aleson + White, Oct. 26, 1947 (great history here)
IMG_9273.JPG

E. Shores, 7/4/10, and E.H. Rauch, 8/13/21
IMG_9281.JPG

We spent less time at the saddle than I'd hoped for, but we really had to get moving back. During the hike back my legs started to cramp, and I began to seriously worry about whether I'd be able to climb back up the trail. Just while walking across the flat ground along the river I had to take a couple of breaks to wait for leg cramps to lessen. Surely the steep climb up the trail in Twomile Canyon would kill me. I plodded along very slowly up the trail, and somehow I made it to the top without my muscles cramping up. Before reaching the top of the trail it got dark enough to require the use of headlamps. I was the last one back to the vehicles--glad that it was over, but even more glad that I went.

Sketchy ledge coming down off Bowknot Saddle
IMG_9297.JPG

Bowknot Saddle from the upper end of Oak Bottom
IMG_9300_stitch.jpg

Inscriptions at the campsite on lower Oak Bottom
IMG_9306.JPG

Green River reflection
IMG_9307.JPG

Hiking back toward Twomile Canyon
IMG_9310.JPG

Neville and Edwin Wolverton, 3-12-08
IMG_9314.JPG

Sunset above Twomile Canyon
IMG_9321.JPG

Colorful sky after sunset
IMG_9340.JPG

Hiking out by headlamp
IMG_9351.JPG

Photo Gallery: Twomile Canyon to Bowknot Saddle

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Cool to see a summit of the saddle not coming from the river.

Splendid adventure. When we looked for a route up the south side of Bowknot, no apparent option revealed itself to us from your end, near Oak Bottom. Must have been a bit of a scramble..

The link to the history of Georgie White is fascinating, thanks for including it. She sounded a little nuts but that's really cool that you saw her inscription. Great report.

Splendid adventure. When we looked for a route up the south side of Bowknot, no apparent option revealed itself to us from your end, near Oak Bottom. Must have been a bit of a scramble..
It was difficult going up. We scrambled about 3/4 of the way up before finding a somewhat well-used trail. On the way down we followed that trail all the way to the campsite at upper Oak Bottom and it was much easier than the scrambling going up.