Tripods

Mine weighs more than 2lbs, so you are probably not interested, but if you are, here's what I carry: http://anasaziphoto.com/blog/2012/12/building-my-perfect-backcountry-tripod

I try and make up for carrying heavy camera gear by getting the rest of my gear as light as I can. I don't always carry a tripod when backpacking, though. I only take it when I know I'll need it for a specific shot.

It's interesting that you found the flip locks frustrating and prefer the twist locks. I had the opposite experience with my previous tripod that had twist locks, and specifically looked for one with flip locks instead.

It's interesting that you found the flip locks frustrating and prefer the twist locks. I had the opposite experience with my previous tripod that had twist locks, and specifically looked for one with flip locks instead.

Cheap tripod twist-locks can be very frustrating, too...but higher quality twist locks seem to work better for me.

Those are very nice tripods. My goal is to hit below 25 pounds and that includes my camera and fishing gear, which isnt going to be easy. I ditched the Nikon for a Nex 5N and that saved quite a bit and the quality is about the same. If I want to take nice pics I just use some vintage pentax F1.2 to F2.8 Lenses but the glass adds weight, or I just use the kit lens and bump things up in PS.

Its always a trade off. What weight are you guys packing in? Im at 35 pounds currently but I should be 30 next trip.

Thats pretty good, im sure you have like 8-10 pounds of camera gear. But your pics are very nice!

I use one of those micro pods as well. Might be that exact model. I imagine it's intended for "pocket cameras" (which is what have/use) but it works well for me. You can strap it to trekking poles and sometimes trees branches. You'll have to let us know what you think after your Ostler trip.

I have a Berno that comes in at just under 2 lbs. I would have bought the Slick Spirit Mini II but it was out of stock everywhere for months so I bought the Berno... Been happy with it, but it's short. The Slick weighs in at 1.75 lbs.

Mine weighs more than 2lbs, so you are probably not interested, but if you are, here's what I carry: http://anasaziphoto.com/blog/2012/12/building-my-perfect-backcountry-tripod

I try and make up for carrying heavy camera gear by getting the rest of my gear as light as I can. I don't always carry a tripod when backpacking, though. I only take it when I know I'll need it for a specific shot.

I can't believe I glazed over this post before adding mine. My kit is very similar but I use the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. One thing I noticed this last trip of mine in Montana was that the leg joint bolts got really loose (like finger loosening loose) from use. I tightened them down but it kinda surprised me.

One thing I noticed this last trip of mine in Montana was that the leg joint bolts got really loose (like finger loosening loose) from use. I tightened them down but it kinda surprised me.

Haven't had that issue with mine so far

Back