Total Knee Replacement

Nick

-
Anyone here ever had a total knee replacement, or perhaps known someone who did? I went to the doc today for my knee that has been giving me problems for the past 15 or so years. They decided that my only good option at this point is a total knee replacement. The biggest hesitation was that I'm a bit young for it (35), but they said even if the known issues in my knee were fixable (they aren't), I'm also pretty much out of cartilage from all the hiking, etc. over the years. It's kind of a scary decision, but I went ahead and scheduled it for next month. I'd love to get any insight from others with experience with it if there are any of you out there. I figure with all the miles hiked on this forum, there must be someone else who has been down this road.

This is what my new knee will look like. Metal plates top and bottom and some nice plastic 'cartilage' in between.
IMG_1024.jpg

Bummer, Nick -- hope it all goes well.

My mother (who lives in SLC) was to have both knees done and opted to do them one at a time (there are pros/cons for doing it this way vs both at once.) She had a miserable experience and decided not to do the second knee. This was several years ago and she still has regular pain. :( Not sure if it's the full cause, but I don't think she gave the rehabilitation process the full effort required.

BUT... my ex landlady had both her knees done and she LOVES her new knees. She said it really changed her ability to get around and enjoy life.

So... I realize that's probably not much help, but thought I'd share the experiences. BTW -- both ladies are much older than you, so hopefully your body would be the most prone to success.

If that is the only option then get it done. It is unfortunate that you are so young to have it though. Have you had an event, other than hiking, that exacerbated the injury? What is the prognosis for you, specifically to your age (probably not known yet, huh)? I hurt a little for you knowing that you'll be laid up and then in rehab for a while.
A family friend has had a total knee done. After years of sports, hiking, and skiing the wear and tear finally got to him. He is back to his ridiculous healthy and fit condition. It took him about a year to feel almost 100%. He still gets out and does everything outdoors and he doesn't hold back. He can't play softball and basketball anymore, but he doesn't mind one bit.
You'll be all right. Just don't rush rehab.

Good luck!

Yes, they have all said get it done sooner than later.....

I deal with occupational medical groups and know several knee replacements that went well. I was surprised how well and how fully they recovered. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 specific ones and they all were slick as can be.

I take it you won't be joining me for the opener of Targhee 21 November?

Damn Nick... I don't think I know any bionic knees. Know several people with hip replacements, one with both shoulders replaced. The hips wear out, two that I know have had to get the replacements replaced after awhile. I was really surprised how quickly the shoulder replacements healed and how well that went for my MIL. Sure you'll do great. But, still - surgery sucks, always, and I wish you didn't have to.

- DAA

I do medical animation and have done several animations of knee replacements, but I haven't known anyone who has actually had one done. From the animations I have done they don't look fun, but they aren't as scary as back surgery, not even close. Bummer, but I am sure you will be fine. Best of luck.

Damn. Too young for that Nick. I know several people with knee replacements and for the most part it seems to work well. My biggest concern would be that at your age, you will probably get to do it again at some point.

I could use a few plastic parts (including a knee) but doubt I will ever do that. I blame most of my structural problems on Bridger Bowl but it was worth it.

I have a great Idea! Maybe instead of getting a new knee you should replace it with like a laser, or chainsaw, or off-road appendage. Why get something you've already had. Get something new!! I vote...backcountry segway wheels. Then you'll be set.

A knee is too useful to do without two of them, given the choice. If they could put a built in bottle opener on it that would be cool though.

- DAA

Or a hidden flask!

Sorry about the news Nick. I was hoping for something a little better. Hopefully this actually does it though?

good luck either way.

My neighbor had a knee replacement and it's been great. She's about 20 years older than you. I have a slight medical background (pre-med in college, 4 years working in an ER as an EMT) and like any medical procedure, the better your overall health, the better your prognosis. Being young will help in your recovery, as will being in good shape. The problems with knee replacements that I've seen were all related to other conditions the person had, and complications with advanced age. The weirdest one was a person who had an allergic reaction to the metal plates. Good physical therapy afterwards is important. Good luck, I think you'll be happy with the outcome.

A knee is too useful to do without two of them, given the choice. If they could put a built in bottle opener on it that would be cool though.

- DAA

Oh man don't even suggest that, Stan will get one in a heartbeat!

Best of luck with the procedure and rehab. I'm sure you'll be bouncing along the trail again soon enough. In the meantime, you can just chill on that sweet boat of yours.

Thanks for the kind words and insights. I'm going to have to think about just trading it for the chainsaw or segway leg. Hmmm...

If that is the only option then get it done. It is unfortunate that you are so young to have it though. Have you had an event, other than hiking, that exacerbated the injury? What is the prognosis for you, specifically to your age (probably not known yet, huh)?

It's not the only option, it's just the only option where the doc feels I really have a chance of great success, especially given that my #1 goal in this is to be able to continue hiking and backpacking. Oh, and I did have an event. I tore my meniscus about 15 years ago. They went in to cut it out then and decided it was too much of the meniscus so they attempted to repair it, which failed. Two years ago, they went in to cut it out again but again decided it was too much to cut out and attempted a more elaborate repair with lots of micro-fracturing in my joint to keep the cartilage flooded with blood during recovery. Still didn't work and ended up with arthritis out of the deal. As far as options, this is kind of how it was explained to me...

Option #1: Go in and cut out failed meniscus. They have tried to repair it twice now and it won't work. Unfortunately, the last surgery messed it up enough that I also have bad arthritis in that knee, so even without it popping and locking, It will still swell up and keep me from hiking like I want.

Option #2: Get a cadaver meniscus. Ewwww... AND the success rate is not high, especially for people who really use their joints like I would like to be using mine. Recovery is also very long. He made it sound like this would just be a band aid until the TKR in a few years and this probably would never get me back to what I want to be doing.

Option #3: Total Knee Replacement.

Oh, and he said that even the un-torn parts of my meniscus are so worn down now that the TKR is probably where I'll end up anyway. So I'm definitely feeling good toward the TKR at this point. I know it won't last me the rest of my life and I'm okay with that. They say they could last 20 years but even if I was back in 10, I wouldn't be upset. Right now is when I want to be out hiking and exploring the most. I want to be doing it when I'm 50, 60 and so on, but now is my biggest concern.

My Mom has had both of hers done.
She waited and waited to do the first one because that was the mantra years ago. "wait as long as you can before doing it"
Well she got to the point where she could no longer do the things she loved hiking, canoeing , and camping.
I finally convinced her to get it done, and when she did she was PISSED that she did not do it sooner. After rehab she was back doing what she wanted. A year later she had the other one done. Now she could not be happier.
A month ago she and my step dad camped on the Oregon coast for a week in a tent. They are both 77 years old.

The old joints lasted 10-20 years. They really don't know how long the new ones will last. I could see 20+ no problem.
I echo TannerT good rehab is important. Push your range of motion.

My thoughts on your last post.
Every time you have a procedure you are at risk for "badness" meaning Infection, bleeding, and unintended damage.
I would forgo the partial fixes that just end up being another surgery and do the replacement.

Good luck.
Jack

@Nick What is with that freaky, crystal knee photo?? A reflection of you with a camera on the starboard side and and one of headless nick on the port side. Is that a Halloween thing?

Ha! I wish it were a halloween thing. There's even two of my wife there in the middle. Those metal caps are what they will put over the bone and will rest on the plastic in the middle. I wonder if I'll set off metal detectors after this??