Staying in shape...or getting it back

balzaccom

After my knee problems of two years ago, I have been fighting to get back on my bicycle and back in shape. Last year I sat out much of the first half of the year, and then slowly built myself back up to where I could do some miles each day.
This year I set a goal of ten miles per day, or 3650 miles per year. That’s well under my totals from a few years ago, when I was riding 6000+ miles per year. But I thought it was worth a shot…and so I started riding.

Well, yesterday I went over 3650 miles for the year. Despite flying over 100,000 miles on United, and fitting this in between backpacking trips and running a business, I managed to get out and ride more than I expected….and I still have two months to go. Who knows? I should get over 4,000….

That's awesome and inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Despite still hiking quite a bit this year, my knee problems are helping me to become more out of shape than ever. One of the big things I'm hearing with my upcoming knee replacement is that I need to get back in shape and lose some weight to make sure it's a success. I've been traveling the last week in Vegas and SoCal and putting down lots of miles walking in the process. It's pretty painful so I was thinking I'd start the bike when I get home later this week and see how many miles I can get in before they split me open.

Reactions: DAA
Good for you @balzaccom that's great stuff.

What is the best training regimen for hiking, specifically for keeping the knees in good shape? Sounds like the stationary bike would be good, but anything else? I would guess leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, since all the muscles of the leg support the knee? Also, is better to eliminate impact on the knees when training for hiking to preserve them, or include high impact exercises to simulate hiking and keep them conditioned to impact? By high impact exercises, I mean like running on pavement.

Knees are a tough one . . . In my opinion you need to do something in between completely eliminating impact and high impact and reduce / eliminate inflammation - which is mostly done via diet. While it's not perfectly analogous, but for men the amount of padding you have around the middle is a good representation of your whole body inflammation.

Your mileage may vary.

Good for you @balzaccom Also, is better to eliminate impact on the knees when training for hiking to preserve them, or include high impact exercises to simulate hiking and keep them conditioned to impact? By high impact exercises, I mean like running on pavement.

Take it from a 48 year old who's done 10 half Ironman triathlons-high impact running does NOT condition your knees for hiking, though the last few days of hiking up and down hills have made my hips hurt worse than my knees. But I think I've lost a couple pounds! :wavespin:

Try swimming lots of laps....

I just ordered a stationary bike to help get me through my knee replacement. I'd rather use my real bike, but I know going into winter that I won't want to use it every day. Swimming is awesome but I'm terrible at actually going to the gym.

the best thing I have found to help my knees has been hiking, ironically enough. It seems through the winter my knees bother me a bit, but once I start hiking again they start to feel better. I suppose it could be something to do with the weather or cold, or just my general lack of exercise through the winter months.

I know this makes me sound like a jerk, but the best best way to get in hiking shape is to do more hiking. Same with mountain climbing - climb more mountains. I know this because I'm old and experienced. You can fake it in a gym, but your joints will hurt and you'll get blisters pounding out real miles in the wilderness.

Of the suburban exercise junkies I know, runners make the strongest hikers.