Red River Gorge Geological Area

BJett

About an hour east of Lexington, Kentucky lies an outdoor oasis best known as a world class rock climbing destination and its abundance of arches. The Red River Gorge, located in the Daniel Boone National Forest, has the highest concentration of natural arches outside of Arches National Park. Within its 29,000 acres lies miles of sandstone cliffs, endangered species, paddling opportunities on the National Wild & Scenic Red River, hiking, backpacking and one of 2 federally designated Wilderness Areas in Kentucky, the Clifty Wilderness. One of the more popular tourist destinations is Natural Bridge State Park.
The RRG was where I developed my passion for the outdoors back in my college days. Off trail exploring, rappelling, rock climbing and backpacking became my main hobbies, as well as a passion for archaeology. Traces of ancient cultures have been found in the rock shelters of the Gorge dating as far back as 10,000 years.
Its proximity to large urban areas like Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati has caused the Red to be loved to death, It can maddeningly crowded at times and trash a common site on the more popular trails. While there are plenty of people who visit that show a lack of respect to this stunning area, there are many more who strive to clean it up, educate the masses and preserve this gem. My local whitewater club gathers up volunteers every May and cleans up the 9 mile Wild & Scenic wilderness section of the Red River, hauling out tons of trash making sure its official designation is well deserved.

So I got a new toy...the Canon 6D with the 24-105mm f/4 lens. Photography has always been a passion of mine, but this camera has taken it to a whole new level. Its been overwhelming learning this camera and figuring out Lightroom 5, so any advice or tips are welcome! Winter is finally releasing its grip down here, not much color yet so these pics don't do the area justice but its a start...spring has sprung.

IMG_0151.jpg

Copperas Creek waterfall, a little-known gem in the Clifty Wilderness.

IMG_0141.jpg

Copperas Creek

IMG_0199.jpg

Auxier Ridge

IMG_0207.jpg

Auxier Ridge

IMG_0201.jpg

View of Double Arch from Auxier Ridge

IMG_0268.jpg

Double Arch

IMG_0274.jpg

Sun flare at Double Arch

IMG_0253.jpg

Auxier Branch

IMG_0256.jpg

Auxier Branch

Featured image for homepage:
slide.jpg

Congrats on the 6D, it's a great camera.

nice pictures, nice area. I love to climb down there. Some of the best climbs in the east, wish it wasn't so far away.

Nice. I as well have always kind of written off the Eastern US, but it's wonderful to see some amazing places out there as well. I bet this place is really pretty when it greens up later in the year.

The southeast has some incredibly beautiful areas. The southern Appalachians are full of good stuff, and the fall colors are hard to beat.
Once everything greens up I'll share some more places that will surprise you.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
wsp_scott Two kids and the Red River Gorge Backpacking 7
wsp_scott A year in the Red River Gorge Backpacking 15
wsp_scott Red River Gorge (KY) Backpacking 3
b.stark Red River Gorge 2010 "From The Vault" Backpacking 5
AKay09 Red River Gorge/Clifty Wilderness Trip Planning 0
BJett Hikesgiving 2015 in the Red River Gorge Backpacking 10
BJett Red River Gorge, Kentucky - Perseids Hiking & Camping 5
BJett Upper Red River - Red River Gorge Geologic Area On The Water 13
BJett Packrafting the Red River Gorge On The Water 11
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
TeamJenkins17 Red Tops/Needle Creek Drainage Info Trip Planning 0
Stephanie B Our Intro to the Red Desert, September 14 - 16, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
fossana Red Cliffs & Dixie NF fire-related trail/road closures (St George area) Trip Planning 1
Artemus Road Proposed to be Bulldozed through Red Cliffs Recreation Area General Discussion 7
WasatchWill Red Castle vs Cirque of the Towers vs Titcomb Trip Planning 50
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
fossana Red Reef loop Hiking & Camping 3
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
cmgz Red Breaks from Harris Wash Canyoneering 13
fossana Red Cliffs Après Work Scramble Hiking & Camping 3
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
Dustin Gent Red Breaks via Spencer Creek Road General Discussion 1
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
jdfut66 Red Castle Loop Backpacking 13
George_Washington_Hayduke Possible to go up Red Breaks? Trip Planning 5
Tystevens Henry's Fork -- Red Castle loop from China Meadows Backpacking 2
Kootenai Red Castle recommendations? Trip Planning 1
Perry Red Castle Is Open for Business ... eeh .. Almost Backpacking 19
scatman Red Butte Canyon Rim-Walk - May 20, 2017 Hiking & Camping 10
Stephanie Quick trip to Coyote Gulch via Red Well Trip Planning 4
danger02ward Dead horse lake with a visit to continent lake,reconnaissance lake, red knob pass, and allsop pass Backpacking 4
Perry Off Trail Porcupine Pass to Red Castle Lake Trip Planning 5
Kullaberg63 Indecision Peak, Red Rocks, NV Hiking & Camping 0
Perry Question About Number In Red Shown At Top of Main Page Questions, Suggestions & Support 2
Jackson Lower Red Castle Lake Backpacking 4
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
Seldom Seen Anderson Red Butte Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Red Mountain Colors Hiking & Camping 4
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
D John Muir Trail: Yosemite to Red's Meadow Backpacking 8
Red Rock Rangers Red Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Bigred72 Red Pine Lake Backpacking 1
IntrepidXJ Red Mountain Pass Peaks Hiking & Camping 8
Jackson Red Pine Lake Backpacking 6
lostlandscapes Lower Red Castle Lake -- 6/13/15 Backpacking 19