Photography Road Trip

Laura

freespirittraveler
This is my first trip report and since I just finished the long drive back from Utah I thought I'd share just the highlights:

Day 1-Zion fall colors. Yes, there still were some left!

Zion by Laura Zirino, on Flickr

Day 2-The Narrows. No, I've never been until now. The Narrows is like Yosemite; no matter how many photographs you see it still blows you away with its beauty. There were so many beautiful compositions that I wonder what I missed. It was an overcast day so no glows off the walls but still plenty of gorgeous scenery:

Autumn in The Narrows. Explored-thank you! by Laura Zirino, on Flickr

Day something or other: drove to Capitol Reef hoping for some snow, but instead I got the dreaded clear skies, plus freezing temperatures even in the middle of the afternoon with a biting wind. Too cold to hike but there was still some color on the cottonwoods. In this picture the wind was blowing the leaves around like snowflakes:

Snowing cottonwood leaves, Capitol Reef by Laura Zirino, on Flickr

Since Capitol Reef has some of the darkest skies in the U.S. I really wanted to try to shoot Chimney Rock at night but it was too cold and I would have had to take the shot from a hilltop in now 20 degree weather (or below). Instead I picked a spot by the side of the road so I could wait in my car while it got dark. I was wrapped in layers like a mummy and I could still barely stand to get out and take shots. I finally gave up after 15 minutes or so and called it a night. I wasn't terribly happy with the shots I got but after I posted this one on flickr it's become my most favorited shot so apparently it was worth it!

Moonscape under the stars, Capitol Reef. Explored-thank you! by Laura Zirino, on Flickr

I was disappointed to see all the development going on around Capitol Reef. There are numerous graded roads now and marked with road signs. One of the best things about this park is its wildness, and it would be tragic to see it go the way of Zion, Yosemite, etc. Does anyone know of a good organization dedicated to preserving the wild lands of Utah? I was thinking of making a donation to the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (Association?)-anyone know if they're good or if there's a better organization?

Next day back to Zion. Back in May I took a workshop with David Muench and one of the participants was a composer. He was one of the most original and creative thinkers I have ever met, and he emphasized that if you want to improvise you need to practice your scales, and the same goes for photography. He would go out and look for leading lines, interesting compositions, etc., to keep his skills up. So today I practiced my scales, following an unnamed wash just to see what was there and what I could create. For my last shot I wanted to shoot an iconic Zion scene. I have never seen that crooked tree shot at night so I gave that a try. Here's what I got:

Iconic Zion by Laura Zirino, on Flickr

Can't wait to go back!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice photos Laura thanks for posting.

beautiful!
where were you noticing the development? roads actually in the park are few. are you speaking of the area between Torrey & the park?
(any thoughts on this Bob Palin ? You would know more than I about happenings on that side of the mountain).

beautiful!
where were you noticing the development? roads actually in the park are few. are you speaking of the area between Torrey & the park?
(any thoughts on this Bob Palin ? You would know more than I about happenings on that side of the mountain).

Yes, the road into the park where all the new motels are springing up. It's a shame because the magnificent beauty starts way before the park border. I imagine much of the area leading into the park is slated for development, unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you like the pics! It was a spectacular trip, even though I was about 2 weeks late for the peak colors. Next year!

Yes, the road into the park where all the new motels are springing up. It's a shame because the magnificent beauty starts way before the park border. I imagine much of the area leading into the park is slated for development, unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you like the pics! It was a spectacular trip, even though I was about 2 weeks late for the peak colors. Next year!
No new hotels have been built in the area since I moved here 8 years ago and as far as I know there are no plans for any. The Sandstone went out of business last year and the motel behind the Sinclair station has failed a couple of times so I don't think there is much need for new places. The only new tourist facilities I can think of are Red Cliff Pizza and The Saddlery in Torrey. The roads have all been marked with signs as a result of a GPS survey the county did a couple of years ago (my street name and house number changed!)

Thinking about it some more nothing new has been built between Torrey and the park in about 20 years, the last thing was the Sinclair which I think was a Holiday Inn originally. The Best Western and the Rim Rock have been there for a very long time.

...yes, very beautiful.
I love the night shots!
Thx a bunch for sharing. :)

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX |2.7.1| mit Tapatalk 2

No new hotels have been built in the area since I moved here 8 years ago and as far as I know there are no plans for any. The Sandstone went out of business last year and the motel behind the Sinclair station has failed a couple of times so I don't think there is much need for new places. The only new tourist facilities I can think of are Red Cliff Pizza and The Saddlery in Torrey. The roads have all been marked with signs as a result of a GPS survey the county did a couple of years ago (my street name and house number changed!)

Thinking about it some more nothing new has been built between Torrey and the park in about 20 years, the last thing was the Sinclair which I think was a Holiday Inn originally. The Best Western and the Rim Rock have been there for a very long time.

this is pretty much what i was thinking as well. i hadn't noticed anything new on that end of town since my first trip through in early 2007, but i figured best to let you have a say since you live over there and know more than i would.

Have you heard any word about the possible Interagency Center that may be put where the closed Texaco is at 12 & 24?
From what I understand, they were supposed to make a decision by November 1st.

Great shots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wnorton @ Southern, UT

Beautiful shots.
Regarding the graded roads and signs.
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but the state of Utah, (and other western states) instituted a plan some years ago to start naming and putting up signs (and graded small insignificant roads and trails) to try to get "right of way" granted so the state can get control over them from the feds, and get the right to develop them.
A law passed in 1866, called Statute 2477, says that “[t]he right of way for the construction of highways across public lands, not reserved for public uses, is hereby granted.”
Thus, many road signs have been erected that were not there in the past. Those state signs on Cedar Mesa were not placed there to help hikers find trailheads!

Beautiful shots.
Regarding the graded roads and signs.
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but the state of Utah, (and other western states) instituted a plan some years ago to start naming and putting up signs (and graded small insignificant roads and trails) to try to get "right of way" granted so the state can get control over them from the feds, and get the right to develop them.
A law passed in 1866, called Statute 2477, says that “[t]he right of way for the construction of highways across public lands, not reserved for public uses, is hereby granted.”
Thus, many road signs have been erected that were not there in the past. Those state signs on Cedar Mesa were not placed there to help hikers find trailheads!

That sounds familiar, and doesn't surprise me a bit. I remember reading something on the website for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance stating something similar, that states were doing landgrabs to prevent the feds from setting aside lands for protection (and thereby open them for development).

Photographing these beautiful areas may be one way we can get the word out that they need protection.