Neon Canyon

Nick

-
Over several days in late October, I backpacked into the Escalante with lostlandscapes, Dan Ransom, drclef, Zoemaster and a couple other friends. At the far end of our loop was Neon Canyon. A canyon I had originally set out to do in September of 2010 as one of my first technical canyons thanks to an invite from cirrus2000. Unfortunately, I was toast after 3 days of backpacking and 2 physical canyons so I backed out on Neon back then.

The usual route into Neon is a fairly straight forward 5 mile hike but we did it the hard (fun) way for this trip. Instead of the easy slickrock route, we spent 2-days and 18-miles exploring a more circuitous route through Egypt 6 and Twentyfive Mile Wash. That part of the trip will be covered in my upcoming full trip report with all the photos from the backpacking portion. In the meantime, enjoy this little snippet of canyoneering Neon.

Enjoy.

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/53293006?byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;badge=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="900" height="507" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><br><br>
[/parsehtml]
Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Damn. Awesome video. That one is high on my list. Obviously want to go with someone that knows what they're doing. I'm assuming the bad keeper pothole was full? How cold was the water?

Thanks, Tyler. All of the keepers were well under water. The really bad one, known as the cathedral keeper, is actually the pool that Tim is floating through in the preview image for the video. The water wasn't terribly cold. I think because it was still fresh from the flood. I was very comfortable in my 3mm farmer and 2mm jacket. I don't remember hearing anyone else complain about being cold. I'd say this is a wetsuit canyon pretty much year round though.

Thanks, Lisa. It was pretty wild coming in from above, especially since I had never seen it from below! There was an erie draft coming up from the hole, you can see Mandy's hair blowing in it as she raps in. That and not being able to see down until you were 20+ feet down the rope definitely made it interesting.

NIce video Nick! Looks like a sick trip!

Amazing video of an amazing place!

I like that you can shoot this so steady with a GoPro. So many of the videos give me motion sickness or are too herkyjerky to enjoy any detail. This video does a great job of capturing the essence of canyoneering. Luckily a sunny day.. although that makes the capture challenge even more difficult. 95% of people are going to see that and say yuck!!! Cold, dirty, stinky. I say WILD (except for the cold part). You are getting really good at this.

WOW! That is amazing! Love the drop into the golden cathedral!!! SO COOL!

I love it when old threads get bumped and I get to relive that trip again for a few minutes. I gotta say, out of all the canyons I did in 2012, I think this one is near the top of ones I know I want to go back to very soon. Now if only I dared to do Choprock!

I love it when old threads get bumped and I get to relive that trip again for a few minutes. I gotta say, out of all the canyons I did in 2012, I think this one is near the top of ones I know I want to go back to very soon. Now if only I dared to do Choprock!

I agree !

For reference, here is the last keeper in June 2007. It was about 6-8' from the gravel, under water, to the lip which was a slippery sloper. Luckily, a log...
neonKeeper_1.jpg

And yours truly on the mother of all raps in the Cathedral.

neonRap.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tater Head Upper Neon Canyon (conditions) Trip Planning 2
Joey Silver Falls, Choprock Canyon, Neon Canyon, Escalante River Loop Backpacking 38
Howells Outdoors Neon Canyon - Finally! Canyoneering 7
W Escalante: Neon Canyon and Islomania Dome advice? Trip Planning 24
D Harris Wash to Neon Canyon - Escalante Backpacking Backpacking 3
powderglut Non Technical Neon Canyon Route Trip Planning 10
John Fowler Neon Canyon and the Golden Cathedral Backpacking 13
Dave Spooky, Peek and Neon, March 20-21 2015 Hiking & Camping 16
Howells Outdoors Fence, Neon, Ringtail Backpacking 15
Nick The Neon Keeper General Discussion 2
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4