Mt. Nebo

Udink

Still right here.
It felt great, albeit exhausting, to bag Mt. Waas a couple of weeks ago. I sought out more fulfillment and punishment this past weekend with a more difficult hike to the summit of Mt. Nebo, which is the highest point in both the Wasatch Mountain range and Utah County at 11,928' in elevation. Both Waas and Nebo have an "Extreme" difficulty rating in the High in Utah book, which makes me feel like somewhat less of a whimp for having been completely worn out after each hike. I partnered up with my brother-in-law, Mark, once again, and we got a ridiculously early 4:00AM driving start from Price. We drove through Payson and started up the Nebo Loop road, stopping a few times to photograph the sunrise. There were two other vehicles when we arrived at the trailhead on the northeast side of Mt. Nebo, and by about 6:30 we were hiking west up the mountain.

Utah Lake overlook along the Nebo Loop
IMG_6296.JPG

Nebo Loop road
IMG_6306.JPG

Sunrise from the Nebo Loop road
IMG_6308.JPG

Sunrise
IMG_6310.JPG

Moon over Mt. Nebo at sunrise
IMG_6314.JPG

Start of the Mt. Nebo trail
IMG_6316.JPG

Full moon setting over Mt. Nebo
IMG_6317.JPG

We watched the full moon set behind the mountain as we worked our way up to the main north-south Nebo ridge. Early on my muscles were feeling tired and I got a little shaky--perhaps due to the severe lack of sleep the night before--but after stopping to rest and eat something I felt much better. As we climbed there were quite nice views behind us to the east. There were a lot of wildflowers in bloom, ranging from lush meadows with large plants at the lower elevations to stunted and sparse flowers in the higher rocky reaches.

View northeast from the trail
IMG_6321.JPG

Lower trail following a fenceline
IMG_6322.JPG

San Pitch Mountains to the south
IMG_6325.JPG

Ipomopsis tenuituba (Slendertube Skyrocket)
IMG_6331.JPG

Lupinus argenteus (Lupine)
IMG_6333.JPG

Castilleja rhexiifolia (Rose Paintbrush)
IMG_6334.JPG

Spool of barbed wire left on a fence
IMG_6335.JPG

View northeast toward Loafer Mountain
IMG_6336.JPG

Aquilegia coerulea (Colorado Columbine)
IMG_6344.JPG

View south along Nebo Bench
IMG_6348_stitch.jpg

Dead tree on the Nebo ridge
IMG_6354.JPG

Ghostly burned tree
IMG_6355.JPG

Primula parryi (Parry's Primrose)
IMG_6362.JPG

Trail traversing a grassy slope
IMG_6371.JPG

Castilleja rhexiifolia (Rose Paintbrush)
IMG_6380.JPG

It took about 2.5 hours to reach the main ridge of Mt. Nebo. From there we caught our first views to the west into Juab Valley, with the town of Mona far below. Through the haze I could see Utah Valley and the Wasatch range stretching off to the north. The trail only followed the ridge for a short distance before traversing around the west side of North Peak. That stretch of trail was a welcome relief for two reasons: it didn't gain as much elevation as staying on the ridge would have done, and it was early enough that much of the trail was still shaded by North Peak towering above. We reached Wolf Pass and stopped for a long rest break and a bite to eat.

View into southern Utah Valley
IMG_6381.JPG

Mt. Nebo
IMG_6389.JPG

Mona, Utah
IMG_6394.JPG

On the Nebo ridge, with North Peak on the left and Nebo on the right
IMG_6397.JPG

Sedum lanceolatum (Yellow Stonecrop)
IMG_6399.JPG

Outcropping of near-vertical rock layers
IMG_6400.JPG

Traverse around the west side of North Peak
IMG_6405.JPG

Wolf Pass
IMG_6413_stitch.jpg

View east from Wolf Pass
IMG_6424_stitch.jpg

There had been some fairly steep climbs before Wolf Pass, but beyond there the elevation gain became extreme. There was a long, sustained climb to a small summit, then a short but rugged ridge with a lot of ups and downs, and finally another somewhat shorter sustained climb until reaching the summit ridge. The final push to the summit ridge required some scrambling, but once on top it was a short walk to the highest point on Mt. Nebo.

Trail up Mt. Nebo from Wolf Pass
IMG_6429.JPG

Steep "trail" up Mt. Nebo
IMG_6433.JPG

Solo hiker resting on the south slope of North Peak
IMG_6438.JPG

Mark on the trail up Mt. Nebo
IMG_6441.JPG

View north from Nebo's north slope
IMG_6444_stitch.jpg

Castilleja miniata (Paintbrush)
IMG_6448.JPG

Mt. Nebo's eastern flank
IMG_6455.JPG

Erigeron coulteri (Coulter's Daisy)
IMG_6457.JPG

Two hikers about to summit Mt. Nebo
IMG_6459.JPG

Mt. Nebo and Juab Valley
IMG_6466_stitch.jpg

Ghostly snow drift
IMG_6471.JPG

Steep, rugged trail up Mt. Nebo
IMG_6478.JPG

No more trail; time to scramble up this!
IMG_6500.JPG

It had taken six hours to reach the summit. The views were incredible but the haze prevented me from getting decent photos of any distant landmarks. Mark and I took another long break at the summit. The scramble down from the summit was a little unnerving due to the abundance of loose rock. Reaching Wolf Pass was a relief because the descent was much easier from there to the trailhead. We got back to the trailhead after a total hike of 9.43 miles in 10 hours and 23 minutes. Though the elevation difference between the trailhead and the summit is 2,700', we'd gained and then lost a total of over 4,000' of elevation due to the ups and downs. There were surprisingly few people on the trail--we'd only seen eight people and one dog on the trail, plus two solo hikers who were off-trail in the North Peak area. Perhaps that shouldn't actually be a surprise considering it was a Sunday in Utah County. :) This was possibly one of the most difficult hikes I've done to date, and it was well worth it.

Summit of Mt. Nebo
IMG_6505.JPG

View north from Mt. Nebo
IMG_6509.JPG

An exquisite sight near the end of a long and rough hike!
IMG_6532.JPG

GPS stats at the end of the hike
IMG_6533.JPG

Full photo gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/MtNebo

[parsehtml]<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FMtNebo.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082137,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.83695,-111.741316&amp;spn=0.030738,0.03824&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FMtNebo.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082137,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.83695,-111.741316&amp;spn=0.030738,0.03824&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/parsehtml][Google Earth KMZ] [Google Maps] [Gmap4 Topo]

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wow, that's a great report. Makes me think both that I'd love to do that...and I'd love to avoid that!
and the flower shots are cool...I'll just take your word for it that that's their names, looks good to me.

Beautiful. Great pics and TR.

fantastic TR. Thank you for IDing the flowers, I really enjoyed that. I'm not much of a peak bagger, but this TR makes me want to go try it.

I did Nebo once as a teenager and remember being in sheer agony on the way down because of my knees. Haven't been back since. :)

I guess I'll be doing this for the weekend instead of some slot canyons. Great share and thank you!

My legs hurt just from reading this! Awesome trip report. So long as you're building your legs up for it, what peak is next? :)

I'll just take your word for it that that's their names, looks good to me.
Haha, thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that.

My legs hurt just from reading this! Awesome trip report. So long as you're building your legs up for it, what peak is next? :)
I've got Deseret Peak, Mt. Peale, and Santaquin Peak on my radar, but I'm not sure when or which one. And at some point before winter I'd like to hit five or six peaks in the southwestern quarter of the state (several of which are drive-ups or very short hikes) in a single long weekend.

Looks like nice hike. .9 mph pretty good for the elevation climb you do there.

Way to go on bagging Nebo. It's been on my list for a long time but a ways down the list, therefore I never make it. This has me thinking it's time to move it up. Nice photos too and A+ on the flower identifications.

I thoroughly enjoyed this report! I've also had Nebo on my list for quite some time. After reading this, it may just stay on the list! Not sure my legs could handle it at this point :)

Wow, utterly impressive. Just out of curiosity, what is the base to summit elevation gain? Your GPS says 9,311. Was that your overall gain from base to summit? If so, props to you! That's pretty nuts. Love the photo with the silhouettes of the 2 guys approaching the summit.

Just out of curiosity, what is the base to summit elevation gain? Your GPS says 9,311. Was that your overall gain from base to summit?
Base to summit was only 2,700', but total elevation gain due to ups-and-downs was just over 4,000'. Haha, there's no way I could handle over 9,000'...that was just the actual elevation at the trailhead. :)

Base to summit was only 2,700', but total elevation gain due to ups-and-downs was just over 4,000'. Haha, there's no way I could handle over 9,000'...that was just the actual elevation at the trailhead. :)

Ahh okay, I was thinking you were superman or something lol. But 2,700 is still no cake walk, especially with the looks of those steep rocky scrambles toward the top. Our mountain bases are so close to sea level on the east so it didn't dawn on me that 9,000 could be the trailhead elevation. Thanks for clarifying for me.

What a day! Nebo's on my radar and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to it soon.

Sweet! Nebo has been on my radar for a couple years now but the season has never been right for me. Your pictures make me want to start thinking about that hike more!