Long Weekend in Glacier- Part 1

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
After a while patrolling the Cloud Peak Wilderness I had six days off. A glorious chance to rest and relax and recoup! Well sorta. My family was having their annual week long trip to Glacier National Park and if I hurried I could make the tail end of it. So leaving Buffalo WY around 2 with a slight delay by construction and a cop I arrived at the timeshare around midnight thirty. Hooray for a little sleep before hitting the trail again!

My dad has hiked almost every official day hike of worth in Glacier since he worked there 29 years ago. Last year he discovered a sweet off trail hike that he was nice enough to hold off on doing again until I could be there too. So together with my younger brother and my dad's old roommate and friend from his Glacier youth we struck out for what lies on the other side of Mt Reynolds.

The mountains above Logan Pass were gorgeous as always, even with some less than optimum air quality
Glacier \'14-2.jpg Glacier \'14-3.jpg Glacier \'14-4.jpg Glacier \'14-8.jpg

Hidden Lake looking nice too
Glacier \'14-11.jpg

From the Hidden Lake Overlook we left the "trail" behind.
Glacier \'14-12.jpg Glacier \'14-16.jpg Glacier \'14-17.jpg Glacier \'14-18.jpg Glacier \'14-22.jpg Glacier \'14-23.jpg

Our unofficial trail led us to the saddle between Mt Reynolds and The Dragon's Tail, where we got sweet views of the other side. My dad, Kurt, and I took off for the ridge then east of Reynolds while my brother chilled at the saddle. Probably for the best since the trail did have some exposure which he's still not a fan of.

Glacier \'14-24.jpg Glacier \'14-28.jpg Glacier \'14-32.jpg Glacier \'14-33.jpg

The ridge offered sweet views of valleys seldom seen between all the peaks of the Glacier skyline. Truly marvelous stuff.
Glacier \'14-35.jpg Glacier \'14-37.jpg Glacier \'14-38.jpg Glacier \'14-39.jpg

So after three years I finally got to be in Glacier with my family again. It was beyond great and so refreshing to see new yet so familiar and close to the heart country. Of course, one day sounds like a pretty short trip when I had five more days off and a ten hour drive ahead of me.

Lucky for me, Glacier has a sweet last minute walk in backcountry permit system and I got to have my first backpacking experience in my favorite place on earth. To be continued...

Glacier \'14-29.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Well, Mr Chandler... you are a walking fool this year. You are in the running for the most bag nights on the ground and if we had a walking miles thread you'd probably crush that as well !

Note to self... get off the couch.. and go walk.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Scott Chandler A Long Weekend in Glacier NP- Part 2 Backpacking 5
zionsky TR: A long weekend in Baxter Backpacking 7
Yvonne A long weekend in Tucson, April 2017 Everything Else 10
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- A long weekend in SLC Backpacking 5
IntrepidXJ Long Weekend in Chaco Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
RyanP How long does it take the dirt roads (S. UT) to dry out after snow? Trip Planning 16
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Outdoor_Fool Week-long Ramble Through Southern Yellowstone Backpacking 22
kwc A futile attempt at The Long Trail Vermont Backpacking 4
westy Hammock Gear Economy Burrow 20° long wide zippered Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
fossana Delano Peak the long way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
C plans for long day hikes in Yellowstone Trip Planning 2
conorfell Long time CO River lover ready to consummate union with packraft Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
TractorDoc Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 10
Yvonne Testing the limits: A long day of hiking in Hawai’i Volcanoes NP Hiking & Camping 12
Nick So long, Barke Diem On The Water 9
Nethos Long time NYC lurker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
SKLund How Big a Pack for Long Trips Gear 32
balzaccom How long is your list? General Discussion 1
uintahiker Requiem for 2015. So long old buddy. General Discussion 2
12trysomething VIDEO: Long Trail - Part 3 Backpacking 0
12trysomething VIDEO: Long Trail - Part 2 Backpacking 1
Nanda Long Road Trip/Fly Fishing Invite Meet Up (Members Only) 0
12trysomething VIDEO: Long Trail Part 1 Backpacking 3
Spencer Sutherland Long Sleeping Bag Gear 7
Matt Price A remote week-long trip, Late-may/Early June, Utah or the Southwest Trip Planning 34
Dave Long Lake, October 4-5 2014 Backpacking 7
Ralph Perry I am a long-time backpacker needing UINTA suggestions Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
BJett Long Canyon/White Canyon Backpacking 9
Bob Teton Highline Trail - The long way Backpacking 22
Mike Jones Week Long backpacking, Zion or Grand Canyon? Need Suggestions Trip Planning 27
Nick Food management on long distance trips General Discussion 4
Nick Long-range bucket list General Discussion 23
IntrepidXJ Invite Long Shot: San Juan Overnighter Meet Up (Members Only) 32
Nick Long distance backpacking Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ Long Fingers Canyon Hiking & Camping 1
Deadeye008 Gear Review Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad - Long/Wide Gear Reviews 4
Deadeye008 Gear Review Big Agnes Sand Mountain Insulated Pad - Mummy - Long Gear Reviews 0
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
kwc A Paddling Weekend in the Adirondacks On The Water 1
T Salt Creek this weekend Trip Planning 1
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
P Yellowstone Snake River weekend Backpacking 7
regehr Uintas this weekend? Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Utah Trip - last weekend of October 2021 Meet Up (Members Only) 2