Limber Pine & Tony Grove

Nick

-
Since I'll be down recovering for a while, I thought I'd write up some trip reports from my work hikes that I did over the year. This trip was to my old stomping ground in and around Cache Valley, where I am originally from. I moved out of there about 10 years ago and I probably hadn't been back in at least 3 or 4, so it was pretty wild just to go back and see everything that had changed. During my one day trip up there I picked up 5 out of my 60 trail guides of the year.

I started out doing a couple of the super easy level 'healthy walks' that I won't go into here. They were just parks and paved trails, my client's purpose with them was to encourage even the most entry level folks to get out and move their legs a bit. After doing those two, I headed up Logan Canyon. First stop: Tony Grove. As I pulled into the parking lot, I was surprised to see a woman at the entrance charging a parking fee. Oh, how times change. I fumbled around to find $6 in cash, accidentally dropping more than $1200 in hundreds and twenties all over my lap. I had just stopped and sold my old ultrawide lens, but I'm pretty sure she thought I was a drug dealer or something. I couldn't help but laugh.

Even the paved trails in Cache Valley are beautiful. When I lived in this area, none of this existed. I used to roam this exact area on a network of dirt roads and trails back when I was a teenager. Now it's totally developed with this nice park and dozens of hundreds of houses.
tony-grove-limber-pine-1.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-2.jpg

The third trail of the day: Tony Grove Lake.
tony-grove-limber-pine-4.jpg

It was a Friday night and the lake was hopping. Lots of people out canoeing and fishing.
tony-grove-limber-pine-3.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-5.jpg

And loads of great wildflowers along the trail.
tony-grove-limber-pine-6.jpg

It seems like I always used to run into moose up here, but no sign this time around.
tony-grove-limber-pine-7.jpg

Next up, I cruised to the top of Logan Canyon, just before the drop into Bear Lake to the Limber Pine trail. This is another nice, short loop that is very family-friendly. There are lots of interpretive signs and the trail is easy enough for just about anyone. I know I hiked this when I was a kid, but I couldn't remember a thing about it.
tony-grove-limber-pine-8.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-9.jpg

The namesake Limber Pine was quite the site. A Limber Pine is basically a forgotten seed cache left by birds that usually come back and eat the seeds the next year. This particular Limber Pine is estimated to be 2,560 years old. It was truly massive. It reminded me of the Weirwood trees in Game of Thrones.
tony-grove-limber-pine-10.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-11.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-12.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-13.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-14.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-15.jpg tony-grove-limber-pine-16.jpg

A glimpse of Bear Lake near the end of the Limber Pine Trail.
tony-grove-limber-pine-17.jpg

I started the drive home, feeling pretty accomplished to have knocked out 4 hikes. I had one more on my list but I didn't think I had enough time. But lucky for me, as I rounded the corner into Mantua, the sun was still above the horizon. I had just enough time to pedal most of the 4+ miles around the Mantua Reservoir trail before heading home. This one was another nice surprise, particularly nice for a little bike ride or if you like to fish.
tony-grove-limber-pine-18.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Lived there as well, for about 8 years. Attended USU, lived there after married untill I got my first USFS job in Arizona. Always liked the cow town atmosphere back then (late 70's), but too many people now, like most everywhere.

Mantua is my second home during the bluegill spawn in the spring. I feel like I need to spend more time up north everytime I go up there. Thanks for sharing it Nick!

What a beautiful looking area. I enjoy taking these types of relaxing family-friendly type hikes nearly as much as the more strenuous ones. They're perfect for those days where you hadn't pre-planned to hike or have a limited window of time. I also have this thing where I can't walk past an interpretive sign without reading it. It's like trail and field guide in one.

Last edited:
I'm a USU grad myself and love Cache Valley! @Bob is right though, it has grown a lot over the past 30 years which has taken away from it's small college town charm.

I like your shots of the old tree. Tony Grove is the last time that I saw a moose in Utah - about five years ago. I think they are deliberately avoiding me now. :(

Tye Dye Twins,
when and where do you fish for the blueguill up there. I just moved up that way and would love to take my boys up there
The spawn is based on water temps but May and June are good. Some years they have multipul spawns and that an be lightning fast all the way into fall. In the spring toss a bobber and jig with a worm on it, or send a nymph out there on the fly rod. Cast very close to the trees along shore until you find them (you'll notice the bobbers on the trees like christmas ordimantes). Yes a boat or other type of floating device will increase your chances of getting into them. The south end seemes to hold the most bluegill, and the knoll on the east end is another good spot. Don't be afraid to try the other places though. The west dike can be good for bass too.

Later in the summer they can be found in "holes" through the weeds out in the lake (which are everywhere!) With a good sonar you can find these holes (watch for a suddent depth change) and vertical jig on top of them or use sinking line on a fly rod to get down to them.

When Mantua 1st freezes up it can be great for the 1st week or so. That is a good time to try too.

Feel free to Private Message me anytime for more information on the Fisheries up your way.
BTW - Swimmers itch is real! Don't become a victim!
P.S. - Right now you should be at Bear Lake!

Here are a few pics for inspiration!
#1 - Favorite Fly to use at Mantua. Psycho Prince Nymph.
801305.JPG

Bluegill of Mantua. Note the tree'd structure in the background...that's where you want to focus on in the spring.
793289.JPG

Plenty of Large Mouth Bass in there too!
793284.JPG

My 16.5 inch LMB
729703.JPG

Stringer full of Bluegills!
729216.JPG