Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, Part II

BJett

Back to the jewel of the southern Appalachians, with a first timer in tow. I love sharing this place with other wilderness lovers, it exceeds their expectations every time. This trip I took the crew up to the 5200' Hangover, a 360 degree view that you have to earn to see...there is no easy way to this amazing place. The next day it was down the Little Santeetlah valley, one of the few watersheds that escaped the loggers in the early 1900's. Its never been cut, and the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is set aside to protect the 400 year old Poplars, Chestnuts and few remaining Hemlocks.
This year is the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, specifically September but why not celebrate a bit early. The Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness may not be "untrammeled by man", per the definition of the Act but is there such a place?
We were on the North Carolina side, just across the border from Tennessee.

The Jenkins Meadow Trail, among a few other very steep trails, leads you up and up and up...to this view...
IMG_2142.jpg

We woke up in the clouds the next morning...
IMG_2450.jpg

Happy 50th Anniversary Wilderness Act!
IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

Sunset
IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

It was too humid for star trails, lens fogged up pretty quick but I managed a decent Milky Way shot...
IMG_2383.jpg

First time out with my new Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

After the clouds burned off Saturday morning...
IMG_2474.jpg

Luna and I in the land of big trees
IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

Tulip Poplar
IMG_2521.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Happy bday Wilderness Act! Great shots. Looks like a beautiful area. Crazy to think that it's unusual that there are places that loggers didn't get to...

Very cool. Is this part of the Great Smoky Mountains? I've read a lot of books on thru hiking the AT and all you ever hear about in NC are the Smokies and Clingmans Dome. Never heard of this particular area. Great pictures.

This is south of the Smokies. The Park is way too crowded for me, there are plenty of equally beautiful areas in NC and eastern TN to get away from the tourists.

Great photos! Love those mountains. I grew up back east, and use to go up to the Smokies, Pisgah, and Nantahala National Forest areas for backpacking every year. Haven't been back since 2008. I know the name, but where exactly is the Joyce Kilmer area at? Is it near the Ocoee River?

Very cool photos and TR. Dig the Milky Way shot.

@BJett Mother lives in Mohawk, TN - next visit will have to check area.