Horseshoe canyon and Water Canyon (Canyonlands)

Carlos

I am going to be hiking the Horseshoe Canyon (Utah) up to the Great Gallery and I noticed Water Canyon in the map. Is it worth hiking a little bit in there ? If I finish my hike early I want to do something else, or hiking past the Great Gallery better ?

Welcome to backcountry post. When are you going? We'll be there this weekend.

going there in May (around Labor Day). You guys planning to hike up to the Great Gallery or will you try to hike further up the canyon ? Some hiking webpage I looked at mentioned the Water Canyon, which intersects Horseshoe Canyon, but with no description of it. Was curious to see if anyone can tell me if it is worth hiking.

I hiked a short distance up Water Canyon this winter. It was a lot like Horseshoe Canyon, only narrower. From the satellite imagery it looks like you can go about 1.5 miles up Water Canyon before you hit a dryfall just beyond the park boundary. I'm not aware of anything specifically interesting up that way, but it would probably be a good way to add a few miles to your hike and see some different scenery.

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

You guys planning to hike up to the Great Gallery or will you try to hike further up the canyon ? Some hiking webpage I looked at mentioned the Water Canyon, which intersects Horseshoe Canyon, but with no description of it. Was curious to see if anyone can tell me if it is worth hiking.

We will go to the great gallery, and probably keep going to the bottom of Blue John canyon (1.75 miles SW from the great gallery) so we can spend the night out there outside the park boundaries. That being said, the section between blue john and the great gallery isn't much different from the rest of horseshoe canyon. Unless you're planning on backpacking, I would turn around at the great gallery.

I've never been up water canyon, but I think udink nailed it when he said "it would probably be a good way to add a few miles to your hike and see some different scenery."

yup, that is my intention, extend my hike if I am done early (either on Water Canyon or keep going past the Great Gallery). Thanks for the feedback.

Chicago. I've hike a few places in Utah and this summer its the Canyonlands turn. Are you guys just hiking Horseshoe Canyon this weekend or other places ?

Cool. I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but Horseshoe Canyon isn't that amazing. If I were flying out from Chicago, I could find some far more exciting places to visit. Sorry if I offended anyone who loves Horseshoe Canyon.

We are hiking blue john canyon along with horseshoe canyon. If blue john weren't right next to horseshoe canyon, I wouldn't be going to horseshoe canyon at all.

That being said, if it's on your bucket list, go for it!

Last edited:
No worries, that is not my objective n this trip. I'm hiking the Murphy trail loop, Chesler Park, one day in Arches, another day on short hikes in Island in the Sky and this was me trying to find something different for the fifth day. You have any recommendations in the area? I'm doing only day hikes.

If you guys like Blue John Canyon, have you been to Buckskin Gulch in Kanab???? I love that place!!

Good choice with Chesler Park and Arches. I thought you were flying all the way out here just for horseshoe canyon then flying back. it sounds like you'll have a great trip.

I haven't done Buckskin Gulch yet, but it's on my bucket list.

Cool. I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but Horseshoe Canyon isn't that amazing.

I'm going to retract my statement. Horseshoe Canyon is a nice day trip, especially if you're not from Utah and canyons and rock art are new for you.