Dominguez Canyon, Co

gnwatts

I have spent a lot of time here, so I thought I would post some misc. shots i have taken over the years. The canyon is so close to a fairly large Colorado town, Grand Junction, yet remains fairly uncrowded. The lower 1.5 miles of the trail from Bridgeport (on the Gunnison River) up Big Dominguez is packed with people visiting the big water fall found about a mile up. If you continue up the canyon you will find solitude, it s a big place with few people.

These 2 shots are from my first trip here, and an inconvenient storm visited us, and we had a fairly grim night, but we really did not get that wet. I had a tarp attached to a juniper, and it wasn't windy so we lucked out.
Located about 20 minutes past the big water fall.

I0000UU3oZPUioQU.jpg

Camp spot is to the left:

I0000Wuzro80Sm3Q.jpg

This is a shot from a campsite found 2 hours from the parking lot (over 50 geezer speed), located at the first side canyon on your left LUC past the water fall.

I0000r3VTYTI0Gjw.jpg

If you continue up canyon from here it widens out with cottonwoods, and places where larger groups can camp. And cool rock formations

I00001YHbjjIeR2g.jpg

The canyon then tightens up and you have 3 choices: continue along the stream, follow the inner canyon rim adjacent and above the stream, or follow the main trail. If you stay on the trail you will make good time, and see great scenery. If you follow the stream you will find mysterious places (I found and old hippie camp with go-go boots) and rock grottos and pools. But you really can't travel well along the stream with a pack, so i recommend following the rim and descending every so often to explore (there are many ways down). From 3 miles above the large side canyon mentioned above past the Cactus Flat trail junction there are water falls more beautiful than the popular one below, very cool secluded camp sites, the sound of the stream etc,, incredible grottos and twisted junipers. You won't have sweeping views, it is much smaller scale.

I00003xnvTCbu7Rg.jpg

I00009vY_DzSpfNU.jpg

I0000uwA6jSRx9es.jpg

I0000OiBgqvJhxQ4.jpg

I0000EmlVr1MXApo.jpg

This is my favorite camp spot in the canyon so far. It satisfies all of my camp spot criteria: water within 5 minutes walk (this spot is 75' from the stream), has a natural shelter from the wind and rain (I don't really like tents), has a nice sandy floor and no cow shit. And preferably a scenic juniper or 2. This spot is multi level: it has room on the canyon rim, a protected sandy overhang just below the rim, and a custom camp spot below that with a beautiful old juniper that hangs over the sleeping area, all perched above a 50' high water fall, that zig zags it's way down bouncing off the adjacent walls at high water.

The lower sleeping area adjacent to the top of the fall:

I0000DXwIY6jmPlM.jpg

The upper overhang, maybe 25' above:

I0000pn_5ILV5tm0.jpg

At low water:

<untitled>  006.jpg

<untitled>  007.jpg

<untitled>  079.jpg

At high water:

<untitled>  076.jpg

<untitled>  017.jpg

<untitled>  016.jpg

<untitled>  013.jpg

I am sure there are better spots than this in this canyon. I just have to continue looking.

Greg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• <untitled>  077.jpg
    <untitled> 077.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 38
  • <untitled>  090.jpg
    <untitled> 090.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 39
A few more:
The LIzard King

<untitled>  047.jpg

I was on my morning walk with coffee and camera, shot this cactus, and did not see the local until I downloaded later:

<untitled>  066.jpg

<untitled>  084.jpg

<untitled>  081.jpg

<untitled>  074.jpg

<untitled>  071.jpg

ZC0D9781.jpg

<untitled>  067.jpg

<untitled>  060.jpg

Tents are handy when it is windy and cold. This is an old Garuda single wall that fits me well.

<untitled>  036.jpg

<untitled>  024.jpg

Another view of the water fall camp (sleeping area is to the right):

ZC0D5392.jpg

Another nice little site tucked into the rocks, this one has tough access to the water, a sketchy little drop that is difficult with a pot of water!

ZC0D5313.jpg

I don't usually have fires but this was a cold night. I believe it was ok to have fires when this was taken? Maybe I am in trouble.

ZC0D5319.jpg

ZC0D5307.jpg

Attachments

• <untitled>  083.jpg
    <untitled> 083.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 31
  • <untitled>  057.jpg
    <untitled> 057.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 36
  • ZC0D5433.jpg
    ZC0D5433.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 37
  • ZC0D5352.jpg
    ZC0D5352.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 33
  • ZC0D9775.jpg
    ZC0D9775.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 36
Very nice, Greg. That pic with the cactus and the snake is awesome. Crazy you didn't notice it until later. Love the Lizard King too.

good stuff! I am with Nick in really liking the rattler and Claret Cup shot. Thinking of that with a cup of coffee in hand makes it a much more pleasurable desert window. I really like the shots of your camp sites and the ones with the light of the fire in them too.

Thanks for the comments.
Yeah, I should have been paying closer attention. Both the snake and I were a little sleepy still....
greg