Deals on down jackets

Nick

-
I picked up a sweet Patagonia Down Sweater (really a jacket) at REI today. Regularly $200, and I got it for $99! It's only 11 ounces and is full of 800 fill goose down. Perfect for backpacking! And to make it better, it's a bit roomier than my Mountain Hardware Nitrous (also 800 fill goose down but an ounce heavier), so I can actually layer the two on trips that might get extra cold. Also found Audra a sweet Patagonia Downtown Loft down jacket, also for 50% off (was $250!).

Anyhow, just thought I'd post this in case anyone has this on their gear list. Tis' the season for deals on coats! I think an ultralight down jacket is a must have.

I bought one a year ago thinking it was a luxury item, but now it's just about an essential item. They are so crazy light. It's hard to believe that it will actually keep you warm, but wearing it is believing.
As an added bonus, because it's so not bulky, (Can't think of the opposite of bulky.) you can comfortably wear it to bed for an extra layer of warmth. I can actually cheat and take a lighter sleeping bag out on some trips and use this jacket for the extra warmth needed.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Maybe some others will be able to pull the trigger on getting one.

I'm going to see if I can swing this one. My current down jacket is 750 fill, but too bulky (it's a Cabellas brand), plus it has several holes on it now where the down is coming out.

What color did you end up getting? I'm a little worried about what size to get as I can go anywhere from XL to XXL (I'm 225 lbs and 6')? I guess I could run over to REI tomorrow and try one on, hoping there are still some left.

I'm going to see if I can swing this one. My current down jacket is 750 fill, but too bulky (it's a Cabellas brand), plus it has several holes on it now where the down is coming out.

What color did you end up getting? I'm a little worried about what size to get as I can go anywhere from XL to XXL (I'm 225 lbs and 6')? I guess I could run over to REI tomorrow and try one on, hoping there are still some left.

I think you'd be okay with an XL. I'm 6'4" and have 60 pounds on you and the XXL in both brands fits good. The Mountain Hardware is the slimmer fitting of the two but man does it make me look thinner! :lol: I got my Patagonia in the green color and my Mountain Hardware in black. If you get it from REI, you might have to try it on in person and order online. Not all colors were on sale. FWIW, the green is dope.

I just wanted to put in my input on this thread. My new coat is awesome! So warm, and I have gotten at least 4 compliments about it this week, and I am wearing it in a professional environment. Perfect length for everyday wear and keeps me toasty walking across campus at 10pm too!

I'm all about the montbell ex light down personally. that is a killer jacket.

I stopped by REI on my lunch break today and they had a few colors of these jackets on the sale rack for $140. I ended up trying on the XL and XXL...the XXL fit me the best, though it's a bit roomy in the chest...so I picked one up.

I stopped by REI on my lunch break today and they had a few colors of these jackets on the sale rack for $140. I ended up trying on the XL and XXL...the XXL fit me the best, though it's a bit roomy in the chest...so I picked one up.

I noticed the same deal at the SLC REI the other day. They even had the nice colors at that price. I really love that coat.

I noticed the same deal at the SLC REI the other day. They even had the nice colors at that price. I really love that coat.

A few days ago I picked up a green Patagonia down sweater off SAC for 100 bucks!

I was just at Recreation Outlet in Ogden and they have Solstice brand down jackets on sale. They had two XL jackets that were $42.99 and about six 2XL jackets that are $19.99! They said 600 fill on them. They were way big on me otherwise I would have picked one up. The XL are black and the 2XL are grey.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Doh! Nevermind, apparently you also have to click the green box to indicate your color choice out of the many options of green, green or green. :facepalm:

Got one on the way, hell of a good deal. I have that same coat in black and I LOVE it. Also, these ultralight down coats are amazing for backpacking. Great pillows, great warmth and weight less than most long sleeve t-shirts!

backcountry has killer deal on the stoic hadron down sweater - ultralight, super warm. ugly colors though. price to performance is unbeatable though. http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-cardigan-mens they are highly recommended in the backpackinglight community.

also - golite has killer deals on their hooded down coat - http://www.golite.com/Ms-Bitterroot-850-Fill-Down-Jacket-P46646.aspx you can get an additional 20 percent off by doing a review on their site. i own this jacket, and it rocks. 13 ounces, much warmer than most similar weight jackets with a full hood. ridiculously cheap compared to other full featured jackets.

i also own a montbell ex light down jacket, which at 6 ounce is probably the lightest piece of insulation you can own. it is phenomenal. but spendy! http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-ex-light-down-jacket-mens

I finally got a sweet Mountain Hardwear Nitrous down jacket on sale.
I thought my old Eastern Mountain Sports down jacket was a lightweight, but that one is amazing with it's 10 oz.
Will take it on a camping trip into the Adirondacks at the end of the month

I picked up a sweet Patagonia Down Sweater (really a jacket) at REI today. Regularly $200, and I got it for $99! It's only 11 ounces and is full of 800 fill goose down. Perfect for backpacking! And to make it better, it's a bit roomier than my Mountain Hardware Nitrous (also 800 fill goose down but an ounce heavier), so I can actually layer the two on trips that might get extra cold. Also found Audra a sweet Patagonia Downtown Loft down jacket, also for 50% off (was $250!).

Anyhow, just thought I'd post this in case anyone has this on their gear list. Tis' the season for deals on coats! I think an ultralight down jacket is a must have.

I have the Patagonia Down Sweater too :) Nice jacket, very light !

I just picked up a down insulated jacket from JCP for $20 (reg. $60)! Online it's listed at $30, but I got it in store for $20. It's only 650 fill, but for only $20 I couldn't pass it up. It comes with a stuff sack and together they weigh 10.7 oz!

LOL! Yep... Hope that hasn't happened to yours.