Buck Pasture (Uintas Mtn. Range) Utah

Tye Dye Twins

Since I am new I thought I'd share my trip from July. This was my 1st backpacking trip of my life, and certainly not the last!!

After driving over 100 miles my Twin brother (the photographer) and I saw that we still had many more miles to go.
IMG_8697_zps8e6634d0.jpg

Daisy the dog and I ready for action at the trailhead.
IMG_8720_zps1d8ae638.jpg

Like any classic Uinta adventure, there were river crossings.
IMGP0777_zps493e39f6.jpg

As the miles of trail passed, the urge to fish finally took over.
IMG_8734_zpsadfe0b90.jpg

IMG_8742_zps5712e528.jpg

IMG_8746_zps19e7fe2f.jpg

And soon the amazing views took over!
IMG_8755_zps4a132ba4.jpg

IMG_8760_zpscbb36e4f.jpg

At 9,400 feet of elevation, the 13,000+ foot peaks around us only enhanced the beauty of the river we had all to ourselves.
IMG_8764_zps200ac70e.jpg

The fish were pretty too.
IMG_8770_zpsd08b93ce.jpg

Fishing took 2nd priority once some classic Uinta standard thunderheads started popping up. So after much consideration for the nights "super moon", we chose the pasture.
IMG_8785_zpsfa491d7b.jpg

Of course there was a needed discussion about the rules in this dog house.
IMG_8790_zps615b6808.jpg

Firewood was collected, the tent established, and the dog was finally out of energy.......ah the good life!
IMGP0796_zpsef74f8f1.jpg

Made better by......
IMGP0797_zps3016a747.jpg

Thankfully the clouds kept their beauty at a distance.
IMG_8795_zpsa60742a1.jpg

With the threat of storms at bay, it was time to get into some fish!
IMG_8817_zps43dfbe1f.jpg

IMG_8809_zps96c16203.jpg

Me fishing near our camp.
IMG_8855_zpsd677fcb8.jpg

Me holding a decent sized Brookie for the camera.
IMG_8833_zpsf0b1e198.jpg

Hard not to get caught smiling in a place so beautiful.
IMG_8834_zps7a327423.jpg

My twin managed a few Mountain Whitefish on the fly.
IMG_8864_zpsd00a183a.jpg

Each passing stretch of the river was more beautiful than the last.
IMG_8893_zps385e6a66.jpg

Me getting in one last stretch of river before hiking back to camp. With close to 100 fish caught, it was a great success.
IMG_8907_zpsa1a70ca8.jpg

With the recent storms lately....getting this fire started took over an hour of HARD work.
IMGP0820_zpse0fb8193.jpg

After a VERY cold night without the proper gear, whiskey and no food the day before, the fact that I threw up a triple shot of Whiskey.....you could only imagine we both awoke feeling like champions. So no pictures were taken till we reached the sight for sore eyes, the car.
IMG_8918_zps05f43a84.jpg

One can feel the tired look on this pitbull.
IMG_8940_zps9d836f9a.jpg

On the way home opted not to go through Evanston WY. Insted we took the Scenic Mirror Lake Highway 150 back to SLC.
IMG_8983_zps29aa16db.jpg

Bald Mountain from Highway 150.
IMG_8954_zps931a02b9.jpg

Slow moving traffic, like this RV, must be why Google Maps claims the Evanston WY route is quicker.
IMG_8975_zps95f411aa.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Great pics and TR! I absolutely love Buck Pasture and the entire WFBF drainage. I've never stopped and camped or fished in Buck proper, but I've walked through it several times thinking that's what I SHOULD be doing! One of the best drainages in the Uintas. Next time, keep going to EJOD with that fly rod. ;)

Very nice first backpacking trip. The photos are awesome. Fishing looked good too.

Nice! Great pics and TR! I absolutely love Buck Pasture and the entire WFBF drainage. I've never stopped and camped or fished in Buck proper, but I've walked through it several times thinking that's what I SHOULD be doing! One of the best drainages in the Uintas. Next time, keep going to EJOD with that fly rod. ;)
Next year I have ambitions of going further in, but this time I was looking for the "river backpacking" experience.

Buck Pasture is great. Driving up Mirror Lake Pass following the endless procession of big RV's is not so great. How'd the fish taste?
We didn't eat any, we just tossed them all back. I just couldn't imagine packing the frying pan at the time as I had plenty of weight already on my back. It wasn't till my 2nd trip that a guy in my group reminded me of the invention called tin foil. It's practically weightless and easy to clean up after compared to a pan!

We didn't eat any, we just tossed them all back. I just couldn't imagine packing the frying pan at the time as I had plenty of weight already on my back. It wasn't till my 2nd trip that a guy in my group reminded me of the invention called tin foil. It's practically weightless and easy to clean up after compared to a pan!
That's too bad- fresh high mountain trout makes packing the frying pan worth it (especially the ones that are hooked pretty deep)! May I recommend learning to filet? Then dip the filets in melted butter and roll them in saltine cracker crumbs with some onion powder before cooking them in the pan. @Deadeye008 could attest to how great they taste.

Last edited:
That's too bad- fresh high mountain trout makes packing the frying pan worth it (especially the ones that are hooked pretty deep)! May I recommend learning to filet? Then dip the filets in melted butter and roll them in saltine cracker crumbs with some onion powder before cooking them in the pan. @Deadeye008 could attest to how great they taste.
I might be a pro at filleting fish my friend, I think the fish in Utah consider me a mass murderer by now. That cracker recipie sure does sound great, and easy to pack!

I am aware of Deadeye008's fish'y reputation from a Utah fishing forum....he takes FANTASTIC pictures!!!

Outstanding first trip. Thanks for the photos.

Now a small word of advise: About those little loops on the tent fly. Install the guy lines! In a good wind, the usual tent push stakes will not hold. Don't ask how I know----

Sounds like you learned why they call it a rain FLY!

It was a whole lot more than just the fly. Tent, pads, sleeping bags, clothing. It all took off. Didn't quite total the tent but it certainly did for that trip. New poles and fly required, along with a lot of stitching/sealing on the tent. We kissed off the rest of that trip and decided to do a day hike. I don't know what the odds are, but at a lake during that day hike, I found another tent in the lake that had apparently suffered the same fate but without any gear. Fished it out, straightened the poles and dried it out back at camp. Used it for the rest of the trip. Someone was smiling on us.