ben cowan

Ben

i figured i'd give this a shot. my name is ben cowan. i'm 29, and live in boise, idaho right now. um. backpacking is a big deal to me. i figure i've done about 390 miles so far this year. which isn't that huge, but still pretty substantial considering working a full time job the whole time. highlights this year include a trek across zion at the end of march, the teton crest trail at the end of june, and the wonderland trail just a month ago. i often end up going with my dog, or alone for lack of any one else to go with. i like dehydrating some of my own food. peace.

rainier 363.JPG

I would say that milage is...outstanding. You're doing it right that's for sure. Maybe in two years I'll be able to complete my 'loop through' hike in the Wonderland Trail. I've read a lot about it. I've scouted it. When my wife and I passed through the park a couple years ago after a week in the North Cascades, I decided that trail has to be done. You've also done another that I've researched and planned for but haven't been able to do yet, Teton Crest. And for all the backpacking my wife and I do we still haven't done the crest, and we met in Jackson!!!! Where did you start from and where did you end? How many days? Better yet, just post a trip report about it and all my questions will be answered there. Speaking of Zion, where did you start and end? Being from Boise, how often do you get to the Sawtooths? If my math is right, and you did all those trails you list in their entirety, you still need to tell us about the other 200 miles you've done this year! I really think that trip reports have to be done now.

It's late and I'm tired, hence the rambling. Welcome to the BCP. And with the experience you're talking about I look forward to hearing your take on things.

Salud!

Reactions: Ben
good rambling. the wonderland tr is up. i'll get the others soon. they'll be easier, wonderland was the longest trip i've done yet this year.

Welcome. I've worked seasonally at Moosely Mountaineering the last few years and we rented LOTS of ice axes into August and crampons into mid July. Doing Paintbrush the end of June this past year would mean you have big !@##s.

Tanner T: I've done the "complete" crest 3 times and portions of it many others. Most folks don't go South of Marion but I think it's really neat, better wildlife than the rest of the trail IMO.

Ben, I being a fatter middle-aged hiker I don't count miles much anymore but that's outstanding indeed. Keep your stick on the ice man.

: ) funny you should mention Paintbrush. i'm getting to that story soon, but i'll spoil it here. after doing Hurricane Pass i ended up vomiting in South Fork Cascade Canyon, probably from over exerting and under eating. So the next day, feeling ok, but being uncertain, i decided to hike out Cascade Canyon, along the lakes, and back up Paintbrush Canyon to my permitted camp there. probably the right thing to do. i'll have to go back some time though and do it right though.

also, as you mention wild life, i saw three moose in granite canyon, and none in my next four days in the park. none north of Marion Lake.

doing Paintbrush at the end of june, and Hurricane as well might indicate inexperience and foolishness just as much as any thing else.

Tanner T: I've done the "complete" crest 3 times and portions of it many others. Most folks don't go South of Marion but I think it's really neat, better wildlife than the rest of the trail IMO.

That's impressive. I'll keep that in mind when I can finally plan a crest trip. Thanks.