Anchor Lake, Uintas

Nick

-
July 2005

This is a trip I had been thinking about for a while. The route we took involves driving up the incredibly steep and rough Garder's Fork Road and then hiking overland past several lakes to Anchor Lake. There is a trail for the first mile or so but nothing after that so you have to be prepared to use a map/compass/GPS to get where you're going. It's not obvious.

We started our trip from the Gardner's Fork trailhead at the top of Weber Canyon. The main trailhead is miles away from where we start. To proceed onto the real trailhead it involved driving through this river.
5499643483_da9c9264e8_z.jpg

The road up this was probably the roughest, steepest, scariest dirt road I've ever been on. Those of you that know me well know the strength of that statement. It was so bad in such a good way. This trip was the last trip before I sold my trusty Taco.
5499644787_b45eac0aa3_z.jpg

The unofficial trailhead. The road kept going on the other side of the road block but I doubt most vehicles could have made it. This picture does not do the steepness of the slope justice.
5499644207_c7da1e5a79_z.jpg

Taylor making his way towards our first lake of the trip. This is about a mile from the car, just after the trail peters out.
5499645333_74fb5b73c5_z.jpg

This was the first lake on the hike, just about a mile in, it has no name. Taylor is trying out my new Sage 4-Piece fly rod.
5500242332_21752f5c3b_z.jpg

There was a trail to the first lake but after that it was all about the map and GPS. This was the route to the next lake. Very tricky boulder hopping, many of these were the size of cars.
5499646515_5a39ac65a5_z.jpg

Looking up at the ridge from the boulder field, Hell's Kitchen and Ledgefork are on the other side.
5500243372_40f0151608_z.jpg

I am a complete idiot. I just walked past two awesome lakes and didn't take a picture. I'll tell you this though, Rhodes Lake would make a FINE place to camp. This is at the high point of the trip before I passed over to Anchor Lake. Now that is some rapid snow melt.
5499647609_aedd3ceff6_z.jpg

My first view of Anchor Lake. I forgot to mention that Taylor was being difficult and pretty mutch ditched me several miles ago. I was really hoping he was already here. I yelled a few times and heard a whistle coming from the lake. I found Taylor. Yay. More importantly I found the stove and the water filter ;) Anchor Lake was still frozen over about 75%. Pretty strange for July 5.
5500244466_9eda6f0bc5_z.jpg

A Panoramic over Anchor Lake. In the background from left to right is Mount Watson, Haystack Mountain and Long Peak. Like I said before, I am an idiot and somehow I never took a picture AT the lake. I'll blame it on the fact that Taylor and I weren't really getting along.
5500251482_f8753a0aed_z.jpg

5500245100_30376d29f7_z.jpg

And once again I suck and didn't take pictures actually at Anchor Lake! It was really cool though. You couldn't cast a line into it without catching a fish. Literally. We were casting in and around sheets of ice so it made presentation easy. Kind of fun to drag little brookies across the ice too. We spent a night there and the next day we hiked a mile and half to this wonderful unnamed lake known only as 'W-59'
5499652661_1bdc6aff68_z.jpg

5500248388_e3183dff29_z.jpg

The fishing was awesome at W-59. And unlike at Anchor the fish were huge as far as Brook Trout go. I caught this fat brookie, roughly 15 inches
5500247896_0f5019631b_z.jpg

We kept a few for dinner.
5499651023_633d74bb2a_z.jpg

W-59 at dusk
5499653595_6db6ee782a_z.jpg

Another of W-59 in the twilight
5499654479_34d36d81eb_z.jpg

The reflections off the water were nice. The next day I kept sucking at taking pictures during the hike out. Nothing particularly eventful other than Nikita tried to take down an Elk. That was neat.
5500250410_70eff37094_z.jpg

Pretty! I've never heard of Anchor Lake. It sucks that you didn't get pics of the lake since based on your description of the road, I'll probably never make it out there myself.:p

Tried to make it over to Anchor Lake from the Hell's Kitchen side this past weekend, but making it up to the pass proved more time consuming than I had originally anticipated. There is an old pack trail on the '72 map that goes up and over the pass but I could not find it and quite frankly I don't think it ever existed. A horse would have a hell of a time making it up to the top if it could at all. Essentially, it was boulder hopping up a very steep grade. An old horse trail to the pass should have been extremely visible heading up that kind of slope even if it hadn't been used in 50 - 70 years.

Anchor_Lake.jpg

I made it as far as between points 3 and 4 where the switchbacks started (though I couldn't see any on the ground) before I turned around and headed to Jean Lake.

Anchor lake is one of my maybe destinations this August/September and I ran across this thread and it looks to me like there are definitely some remnants of a trail going up and over this pass (cc @scatman)Screenshot from 2023-08-14 13-42-48.png

it looks to me like it might not be super difficult getting to Anchor lake by starting at the Crystal Lake TH, passing Long Lake, and then instead of dropping down into the west fork of the Weber River, staying up on a bench for about 3 miles to Anchor Lake. If anyone knows that this route would be particularly good or bad, I'd like to hear it

it looks to me like it might not be super difficult getting to Anchor lake by starting at the Crystal Lake TH, passing Long Lake, and then instead of dropping down into the west fork of the Weber River, staying up on a bench for about 3 miles to Anchor Lake. If anyone knows that this route would be particularly good or bad, I'd like to hear it

I have contemplated Anchor and Jerry... I first looked that way from the shoulder of Watson several years ago.
I do have some pics looking at those benches from the ridge/peak above Long Lake.
It looked doable cross country, if not some tedious off trail walking.

From above, looking down Middle Fork of the Weber
RCM04346-Ramona--6-2022-220624-61.jpg

Similar looking across the benches towards Jerry and then Anchor would be the far RH side.
IMG_5116.jpg

I am interested if you do it going that route. It feels that portion of the Weber is less-touched.

I am interested if you do it going that route. It feels that portion of the Weber is less-touched.
thanks for the info and pics!
this does look like it might end up being pretty rocky, tedious walking -- very little large-scale elevation change, but lots of little ups and downs and rocky walking. hope to try it soon!