Toxaway-Alice Loop, Sawtooths, August 2012

River

The Toxaway-Alice Loop is one of the classic loop hikes in the Sawtooths. I had hiked to Alice Lake many years ago, but the rangers had told us the pass was still snowed in and impassable so we didn't plan to hike the full loop. As it turned out, we were able to make it over, but we didn't bring our gear with us, so we only completed part of the loop.

With what felt like the entire state on fire during the summer of 2012, we decided to finally hike the whole loop, hoping the smoke might keep the crowds away. We started the 18 mile loop at Petit Lake and headed out counter clockwise to Farley and then Toxaway Lake. A slight sprinkle of rain had reduced the smoke in the air and cooled things off making for nice hiking weather. After about eight miles, we arrived at a beautiful campsite on Toxaway Lake. We had planned to spend one night there and another near Alice Lake, but it was such a nice camp that we decided to spend two nights there and hike a partially off trail loop to some other nearby lakes the next day.

On our second day, we climbed over the pass to Edna Lake. The weather was perfect for a long swim in the lake before we continued onto Vernon Lake. From there, we continued across a large boulder field and then found a way to scramble over the ridge and back down to our camp on Toxaway Lake.

On the third day, we climbed over Snowyside Pass and dropped down to Alice Lake. From there, it was a long, hot hike back to Petit Lake and our cars.

Our route
Alice Toxaway (Large).JPG

Smoky skies on the drive to the trail head
P8101888ed (Large).jpg

We decided to hike counterclockwise to Toxaway Lake first
P8101892ed (Large).JPG

Enjoying a snack on the trail
P8101895ed (Large).JPG

Several cascades on the hike in
P8101910ed (Large).jpg

Farley Lake
P8101914ed (Large).jpg

Cooling off in a small stream
P8101916ed (Large).jpg

A great spot to relax
P8101918ed (Large).JPG

Stopping to sniff the flowers
P8101929ed (Large).jpg

A natural slip and slide
P8101935ed (Large).JPG

The dogs were less enthused
P8101939ed (Large).jpg

Enjoying a trail side nap
P8101940ed (Large).JPG

Always ready for fetch
P8101954ed (Large).JPG

Dinner!
P8101955ed (Large).jpg

Smoky sunrise
P8101964ed (Large).jpg

Time for another nap
P8101969ed (Large).JPG

Can I have your leftovers?
P8101970ed (Large).JPG

Green grass to roll in
P8111975ed (Large).JPG

The view from the kitchen
P8111976ed (Large).jpg

Great peaks all around
P8111977ed (Large).jpg

A great spot to relax
P8111980ed (Large).jpg

Still a few flowers blooming
P8111988ed (Large).jpg

Finding a shady spot to cool down
P8111995ed (Large).JPG

Edna Lake
P8111998ed (Large).jpg

The pass going over to Edna
P8112008ed (Large).jpg

Another view over the pass
P8112010ed (Large).jpg

Finally, another stream to cool off in
P8112019ed (Large).jpg

A great swim in Edna Lake
P8112042ed (Large).jpg

The boulder scramble to Vernon Lake
P8112046ed (Large).jpg

Vernon Lake
P8112051ed (Large).jpg

The smoke cloud from the nearby fire
P8112056ed (Large).jpg

Toxaway Lake
P8112063ed (Large).jpg

Finally back at camp
P8112092ed (Large).jpg

Another clear sunset
P8112096ed (Large).jpg

The mountains are always a great place to reflect on what's really important in life
P8122100ed (Large).jpg

More flowers headed over the pass
P8122106ed (Large).jpg

Another spot to cool off
P8122110ed (Large).jpg

Looking back down from Snowyside Pass
P8122113ed (Large).jpg

The view from the pass toward Twin Lakes
P8122131ed (Large).jpg

A cool dip in Alice Lake
P8122150ed (Large).jpg

Alice Lake
P8122154ed (Large).jpg

About ready to be done hiking
P8122158ed (Large).jpg

Finally back at the truck!
P8122159ed (Large).JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Oh, holy hell, this is awesome! :roflmao: I love seeing those happy puppies, and I LOLed at the slip-and-slide photo until my wife asked me from the other room what was so funny. Glad to see you got some blue skies during the trip.

I've spent a little time car-camping in the Sawtooths, and had a great time. Thanks for sharing this loop, looks like an awesome time.

The slip and slide was a lot of fun. Glad I had a ND filter on the camera for that one. :eek: The dogs love the mountains. It's a great loop. Wes - that's about when I was there the first time too, it was a lot snowier then!

Awesome trip report, Erik! Beautiful pics and particularly fun to see so much of it through the great photos of Molly. Keep 'em coming! :)

Wow!!! Such an awesome trip!!!!

I'm so far behind on trip photos... I guess that's a good thing?

how was it going between vernon and toxaway

Looks fine to me ............. Art? :)

Great photos! Not sure why, but dogs seem to get addicted to the high country as much as we do.

Thanks for posting the TR.