UL Backpacking: A Thread for the Gram Counters

here's another one I stole from here. i haven't tried it yet.

The question is "what is the lightest and most calorie dense food," which is a bit of a conundrum: Fats, at 9 cal/gram, are the most dense, but they are neither practical as a fulltime diet nor necessarily the "lightest."

The prize for that, I think, goes to probably the best overall backpacking food (at least in MHO)...yellow grits, also known as Polenta to snobby Northerners who will pay $10 for plate at a classy Italian joint.

Yellow Grits (hereafter, "YG") are NOT the same thing as "grits" or "hominy", which are the quintessential Southern breakfast food, and generally hated by all others. YG are a reduced kernel of corn, ground roughly after being very dried. But to the surprise of many, and unlike other "carb" backpacking foods like noodles and rice, they are extremely nutritious across-the-board:

Serving: 35 gr (1/4 cup dry)
Cal: 130
Fat Cal: 5 cal
Fat: .5 gr
Carb: 27 g
Protein: 3 gr

The surprising part thus is that 10% of YG are protein. But the REALLY good news is the weight-to-prepared ratio: While rice, noodles and other items require equal amounts of water to cook, meaning that to get 2 cups of, e.g., cooked rice you need to carry 1 cup of dry rice, for YG the ration is 1:3. This means that to get 2 cups of cooked Yellow Grits (and the same calories as 2 cups of cooked rice), you only have to carry 1/2 cup! Do the math: As a "base food" a ten-day supply of YG is 5 cups, or about 2.5 lbs, while a similar amount of rice (or noodles) is double that. So if you're into lightweight packing, YG are an immediate bonus of 2.5 lbs for a 10 day trip. That can reduce the resupply cycle significantly.

For historical fans, YG are what is generally known, as a breakfast food, as "corn meal mush" and was/is a classic Appalachian food, served in the morning with syrup and some fruit. It was also the basic food of many/most Confederate troops in the field, since it is virtually imperishable, easy to cook, and nutritious.

In flavor, Yellow Grits are very bland, with slightly sweet and nutty flavor. YG takes any kind of sauce well, but cheese powders (my favorite is powdered nacho mix) are especially good, and various meats (dried or tuna) go well also. Essentially, YG will do anything rice will, although they look more like yellow oatmeal when cooked. Cooking time is about the same, too.​

And finally, speaking of toothbrushes and toothpaste above, here's a link to a great how-to for making super small single use containers for things like toothpaste, ointment, and just about anything else you can think of. I've adopted this method myself for ointment and hydrocortizone in my first-aid kit.
I just use pill bags from wal-mart.

YG ....... if that's what you like for a 10 day trip ........ :help: you are sick ......

Agreed. I could do maybe two meals of yg across 10 days, but that's my max.

I find that UL is more of a mindset than a gear list. Aside from the big 3, UL doesn't have to be expensive.
This book and a good freind are what got me started on the UL bandwagon, and now I'm really happy.

I've been trying to swap out pieces of gear with lighter/smaller replacements so I ordered this book (before I realized you recommended it). I just replaced my sleeping bag with the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32 (1 lb 14 oz) and I'm trying to decide between the Fly Creek UL1 and UL2. Looking forward to seeing how much I can get it down before next season.

I have Ultralamina15. Like it. Look at the tarptent rainbow as well for tents. Henry makes really good tents for reasonable $

I have Ultralamina15. Like it. Look at the tarptent rainbow as well for tents. Henry makes really good tents for reasonable $

Thanks I'll look into it before picking up the fly creek. Glad to hear you like the Ultralamina. Haven't used it yet but was impressed how light it was carrying it out of the store. I don't use down so I'm glad the synthetics seem to have caught up warmth/weight ratio wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't go for down either. I'd say temp rating is more like 20 - 25 not 15 tho. It took getting used to the two side half zips instead of one full zipper tho. Compresses pretty small as well. I use a silk liner with it if colder weather, seems to add 5 degrees. Keeps it cleaner as well.

Strange, I don't know if the 32 has the 2 sided half zippers. It was labeled Right Regular so I assumed that meant right side zip/regular length. I'll take it out of the mesh bag tomorrow and check it out.

Since you don't use down, if you're looking for a non-down, lightweight, compressible jacket at a good price, check out the ll bean primaloft packaway. It weighs 11.9 oz (Med), compresses into it's own pocket and it's only $120. It's rated for -15 degrees (which I'm highly skeptical of) but it's been pretty warm on a few 35 degree mornings so far. http://m.llbean.com/product.html#82289

I've been trying to swap out pieces of gear with lighter/smaller replacements so I ordered this book (before I realized you recommended it). I just replaced my sleeping bag with the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 32 (1 lb 14 oz) and I'm trying to decide between the Fly Creek UL1 and UL2. Looking forward to seeing how much I can get it down before next season.

i don't have any experience with the ul1, but i just bought the fly creek ul2 a few weeks ago. and i think that it was the right choice. i shared it with my girl friend for seven nights in the grand canyon, and one night at the wire pass trail head parking lot. we're both small people and it was still slightly cramped. not so much as to be bad, but enough to be inconvenient at times. for reference to us being small people, we probably weigh about 250 pounds together. i'm six feet tall, and my feet would find the end of the tent if i let my self slide down too far. the tent is inconvenient to sit up right in with two people in it, but probably wouldn't be bad if you were alone. the small space issues while sharing the tent seemed to arise usually when one of us moved too far from our own side while we slept. all that being said, i was extremely happy with the tent, and very glad that i got it. it is still big enough to get the job done. and it packs up so small. i've only backpacked with a 3 person dome tent before (when i carry a tent), so the weight savings there were fantastic. i was also surprised at how convenient the mesh pockets inside the tent were, one on each side, and one on the ceiling. probably the nicest i've used in any tent. the weather was extremely pleasant when i've used the tent before, but it looks like it should handle weather very well. i imagine better than i'm used to.

all that being said, back to the original ul1 vs ul2. i'd recommend the 2. i think that i could get away with the 1, but i got the 2 because i could use it solo, or with my girl. relatively, the price isn't that much higher. and it's about a quarter pound more weight, for six more square feet floor space, which i think any one would appreciate. i guess it all depends on how much 4 oz really matters to a person.

any one, let me/us know what you end up doing. very interested.

on the ultralight topic in general, i agree with every one that said get a scale. one of the biggest effects that's occurred for me resulted from weighing my food. before and after. seeing in numbers what i do and don't eat, and learning exactly what to take. this was most beneficial most recently on a week long backpack where i was planning food for three people.

i'd also recommend decreasing pack weight smaller steps at a time. taking the time to see what works for you. also it's easier financially.

Thanks, I'm leaning toward the UL2 for the same reasoning you mentioned... so I can use it when my wife joins me. The reason I was considering the 1 is because we could always use my current 2 person tent if she comes. But I'm starting to think I'd like the extra room even when I'm out solo. Especially since my dog joins me sometimes.

I checked out the tarptent website that @Bob mentioned.. They make a few models under 2 lbs, I just don't like that they aren't freestanding at all, meaning I couldn't set up on a shelter platform.

I checked out the tarptent website that @Bob mentioned.. They make a few models under 2 lbs, I just don't like that they aren't freestanding at all, meaning I couldn't set up on a shelter platform.

While Big Agnes markets the Fly Creek as freestanding, I don't consider it a true freestanding tent because you still need to stake out the corners on the side that only has 1 pole in the middle.

While Big Agnes markets the Fly Creek as freestanding, I don't consider it a true freestanding tent because you still need to stake out the corners on the side that only has 1 pole in the middle.

Yup, I know it's only semi free standing but thought it should work fine on a shelter platform without having the 2 rear corners staked, especially since it would be mostly protected from the. Do you guys think it would be okay in that scenario? In most cases I'll be out on the ground and just staking it.

Last edited:
I know this isn't ultra-light but... I think when I started I was packing like 45 lbs and now am down to around 30 depending on the weather and how many layers I need. Like most everyone else, I used to take way to much clothes - one can save a pound or so here. One virtually non-negotiable is food - just watch those extra snacks which you don't eat - this adds up. No matter how you do it this stuff adds up. If you have a tent which is more than a year or two old most likely you can shave some here - I shaved off nearly 2 pounds here. For a pillow I use a bag with what extra clothes I take - works better than any air pillow I have ever had.

rainbow and rainbow 2 can be freestanding with trekking poles across the outside floor ends of the tent....

food, snacks I go with about 1.2 lbs per day.

Lightweight (Ultralight for those so inclined) depends on the distance you are hiking. For instance our 13 day windriver trip, pack started at 41lbs, entire food, no water. At the end it weighed in at 26lbs... I consider that light for the length of trip. Now, 41lbs for a 3 dayer...way bad.
My base 3 (tent, pack, sleeping gear) is 8lbs. Add stove canister and pot its still under 10 lbs. I didn't buy "ultralight" designated gear, just paid attention to weights of things. You also need to consider the volume things pack to. I also like to be comfortable, granola every day is NOT comfortable.

Don't worry about the 'grams', takes a lot of label removing to equal a pound.....lol

Last edited:

i'm glad you brought that up. i forgot about it. i wish that the pole split to both the back corners like some other models. but i don't think that it will ever actually be an unsolvable problem. there are ways of doing things with out stakes. if no thing else, i could always put my empty pack at the end of the in side of the tent, and have it's frame give it some structure.

on our last trip in the grand canyon, three of us did 7 nights, and ate about 23 pounds of food total. there were only two food items that i wasn't able to weigh before we left.

I was thinking of writing a gear review but I'll just post this here instead. I'm working on getting my base 3 weight down. With my new sleeping bag (1lb 11oz) and my trusty z-lite (14oz), inflatable pillow (yes I know-unnecessary) at 3.7 oz, and a Fly Creek UL2 on the way for Christmas (2lb, 5oz) that left me with needing to lighten my overnight pack itself. My other overnight pack is a monster (Lowe Alpine-Khumbu 65:80) weighing nearly 5 pounds at 4lb 15oz. I wanted a smaller, lighter, overnight pack but wanted to avoid the UL pitfall of super expensive and super easy to rip. So I looked around and found a light, cheap, sturdy, option from an unlikely company... the Jansport Katahdin 50L (they also make a 40L and 60L). I know Jansport isn't known for making UL anything, but this pack weighs just 2lb 1oz (nearly 3 lbs lighter than my Lowe Alpine). It's actually even lighter than both of my 28L daypacks (Osprey Manta and Deuter Futura). Despite being so light, it's built like a tank and looks like it could take some abuse. Despite it's sturdy build, I was still a little skeptical that it would be as comfortable and reliable as my Osprey, Deuter, and Lowe Alpine packs. I tested it out on my 2 day backpack in the White Mountains 2 weeks ago (with a relatively light load albeit) and it performed really well. The only complaint I had is that the plastic adjustment buckles (that you tighten and ratchet the straps through) didn't adjust as smoothly as with my other packs, but the pack was very comfortable, and the buckles held tight and got the job done. It might have also been due to the below zero temps that they weren't as smooth? I haven't gotten around to trimming the fat on this thing yet, but with a little scissor and lighter action, I'll be able to get it under 2lbs.

As far as price goes, this thing is an UL bargain. It sells for $79!!! - Might not last a lifetime like an Osprey but even if it lasts 2-3 seasons, I'll have gotten more than my money's worth imo.

Anyways, if anyone is looking to reduce the weight of their actual "pack" in a budget friendly way, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to recommend this bag.

This is what the bag looks like btw.
katahdin 50.jpg

Last edited: