Jordan River Pathway

Very cool. Gorgeous colors. We need more from Michigan.
Salud!

It looks very serene and peaceful up there. A beautiful place to do some wandering. What does that sign mean btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The length of the NCT is 4600 miles. Of those miles this is the only spot where you cross the 45th parallel. Michigan has some of the best backpacking in the Midwest IMO.

At first I thought the title was the Jordan River Parkway here in Utah. The only people that backpack that route are the homeless.

I agree we need more reports from your area. Great capture on the experience.

Last edited:
As one who grew up in Michigan (Flint) I miss the colors of fall in Michigan.

What part of the state is this in?

Hey @kcwins, only 4599 miles to go! :tongue: I know this is part of your training for the Gros Ventres next year! :) All kidding aside, great report and your images remind me of growing up as a kid in western North Carolina (Asheville) during the fall.

I need to research the North Country Trail and see what route it follows.

Thanks for sharing!

This loop is just shy of 19 miles and is just west of US131 north of Mancelona.
The NCT runs from New York to North Dakota. There are some really nice areas along it's path. I have section hiked a great deal of it in Michigan.

@scatman , from what I can tell based on the info you provided, the GV is going to be a piece of cake as compared most of the hikes I have done in GTNP and especially easy when compared to the route that knucklehead @Joey (Utah) lead us on in July. I'm a lean mean 215lbs and would be happy to carry all of your gear next year......if you'd be willing to carry my espresso machine.

Beautiful pictures Chuck! Love the colors. I need to get up there.

Post some more of these trip reports, I know you have a lot of them!

And hey, did you see that game tonight? FSU won, again. I only have one thing to say about that.............

Awesome! I have hiked the NCT in Minnesota and North Dakota. They use this picture and another 1 in the guild book.

Attachments

• 9276011463_f391335245_o.jpg
    9276011463_f391335245_o.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12
This loop is just shy of 19 miles and is just west of US131 north of Mancelona.
The NCT runs from New York to North Dakota. There are some really nice areas along it's path. I have section hiked a great deal of it in Michigan.

@scatman , from what I can tell based on the info you provided, the GV is going to be a piece of cake as compared most of the hikes I have done in GTNP and especially easy when compared to the route that knucklehead @Joey (Utah) lead us on in July. I'm a lean mean 215lbs and would be happy to carry all of your gear next year......if you'd be willing to carry my espresso machine.

Deal! Alright, I didn't want to have to say this but I'm an old mean 198 lbs (notice no lean involved!) and I will have your espresso machine to the top of Packsaddle Pass before you can say, "Where's @scatman ?" Uh, how much did you say that espresso machine weighed? :help:

I'm with @Joey, if you have more reports on hiking this trail, I'd love to read about them. It looks like the NCT is better suited for segment hiking than a through hike. Is this correct?

Deal! Alright, I didn't want to have to say this but I'm an old mean 198 lbs (notice no lean involved!) and I will have your espresso machine to the top of Packsaddle Pass before you can say, "Where's @scatman ?" Uh, how much did you say that espresso machine weighed? :help:

I'm with @Joey, if you have more reports on hiking this trail, I'd love to read about them. It looks like the NCT is better suited for segment hiking than a through hike. Is this correct?
http://northcountrytrail.org/ Only a handful of people have through hiked this. 1 lady is doing it right now "Chosen Hiker". A young guy did it last year. Luke "Strider" . He started in ND and went to NY. I sat in a little presentation he did.

2014-08-22 11.32.42.jpg There are several great sections of the NCT to hike through Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Some of the sections to look for are: Trap Hills section is awesome, McCormick Wilderness, Craig Lake SP, Sturgeon River Gorge, Marengo River, Porcupine lake Wilderness, Rainbow lakes Wilderness to name a few.

View attachment 21233 There are several great sections of the NCT to hike through Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Some of the sections to look for are: Trap Hills section is awesome, McCormick Wilderness, Craig Lake SP, Sturgeon River Gorge, Marengo River, Porcupine lake Wilderness, Rainbow lakes Wilderness to name a few.

I love the Trap Hills area, but shhhhh. Lets keep that between friends. The porki's are nice, but how could you leave out Pictured Rocks? That's a must do area of the NCT on any visit to MI or northern Wisconsin. Not real fond of the McCormick track.

Suppose I could pull up some NCT material. I'd have to go back to 2013 and before. I've only done a few section hikes of it this year including a winter trip. Of course there is the MRT/ NCT loop near Mesick. Another lower MI jem.

@scatman , yes the best and pretty much only way to hike it is to section hike it. TONS of great sections to explore.

My bad on leaving out Pictured Rocks! Spent 3 days hiking there last year. The trail along lake Superior is awesome.

There are a few longer sections one could do. There are a few 90 to 100 mile sections. But all are either out and back or shuttle is required.

Might have to check out some of those loop hikes you have over on that side of the lake.

I have hiked the JRT a few times and love it for a weekend. The first time was in mid April and we were ready for cold and some snow but not three feet. It was very pretty but some of the hardest hiking I've done since we didn't have snow shoes.