Hello Everyone

elkaholic

I have to say that I have been enjoying this website for several weeks now and thought I had better jump on. I am the scout master for a local troop and have been trying to plan a 50 mile hike for this summer. Last year we did a fun trip to the Snake River but this year I am thinking that my boys could use a more “charter building”. I love the Uinta’s and would love to take them up there but am not sure of a good route for the boys. Does anyone have a good route they have taken in the past? The only criteria I have is that there has to be excelent fishing.

i can't believe no one has replied to this yet. i'd think an inquiry like that would have had some people here just rattling off lists.

i can't help you much. i don't fish. my only trip to the uintas was last year. my brother and i hiked kings peak from the swift creek trail head. we went up swift creek, over bluebell pass, and then took the highline trail over to the pass below kings peak. kings peak is an easy walk up a rock field. on the way back we took the trail that follows yellowstone creek all the way to the trail head for a semi loop. this was probably a little over forty miles. we did it in two nights.

if i were taking a group of scouts, i would think that including kings peak would be a cool thing to do. it's possible to spend more time around the timothy lakes, up the swift creek trail, than my brother and i did, and i think that seeing the highline trail at all is pretty cool. bluebell pass was nice, and i'm glad we went over it. the trail is light in some places here, and we enjoyed following cairns every now and then. the scenery along yellowstone was not quite so interesting as along swift creek. a lot of beaver dams along swift creek. you could also do a very similar loop from the north side to kings peak, using the highline to connect two trail that return to the same head.

looks like a loop from the upper stillwater campground through naturalist and rock creek basins might also fit your bill. but i have not ever been there.

Same for me, I'm no fisherman but here are some suggestions. With key words mentioned below to search this site you will find many, many trip reports and even some maps about these places. These are longish hikes but may not be 50 exactly. You can refine them in your planning.

1) Out and back from the east - the Leidy Peak trailhead is the eastern start to the whole Highline crossing.
2) The Highline crossing is about 85 miles and highly recommended.
3) A crossing of the divide starting at the Highline trailhead on the MLH and then east over Rocky Sea Pass into upper Rock Creek. Up Rock Creek and crossing the divide at Dead Horse Pass and then north to the North Slope road or forest roads coming in from there.
4) Out and back or several car shuttle trips available to the Red Castle peak area.

There are literally dozens of routes as you describe and most of them are described here. Trouble with recommending to your OP is that we have no idea your abilities or your charge's abilities. 50 miles is a pretty long trip for beginners or young children. Might be better to something that looks interesting to you and then ask for feedback here after outlining your abilities and needs. Half the fun is in the planning! Backpack ON!

Last edited: