Rainbow Bridge - North Trail

Eugene

4 of us are doing the Rainbow bridge North Trail Nov 3. Any info or advice on the trail? What I can find shows the trail to be like 17 miles one way with water available. I guess my main concern is water. Any info would be appreciated.

I don't have helpful information, but I am really looking forward to hearing how this goes. I'm not too interested in hiking to Rainbow Bridge from that side, but some of the other canyons back there look outstanding. Did you already get a permit through the Navajo Nation?

Got the permits. They are proud of them. Unlike the GC where you pay for nights the Navajo count days. So arriving on Monday and out on Friday counts 5 days x $12/person/day = $60 per person. It takes a full 5 weeks to get the permits. Must be using the runners to deliver the mail. I have quite a bit of info but seems dated - most of the trail info and water info is like 10 years old so this is why I was asking.

Got the permits. They are proud of them. Unlike the GC where you pay for nights the Navajo count days. So arriving on Monday and out on Friday counts 5 days x $12/person/day = $60 per person. It takes a full 5 weeks to get the permits. Must be using the runners to deliver the mail. I have quite a bit of info but seems dated - most of the trail info and water info is like 10 years old so this is why I was asking.
I don't have helpful information, but I am really looking forward to hearing how this goes. I'm not too interested in hiking to Rainbow Bridge from that side, but some of the other canyons back there look outstanding. Did you already get a permit through the Navajo Nation?

You mentioned an interest in some of the other canyons... Which ones?

Aztec Creek is where I was hoping to spend some time. There's not much out there on it, but it looks outstanding. Personally, I would find it a little bit of a bummer to hike that big out and back to Rainbow Bridge just to see hundreds of people that just walked a mile to get there from the lake. The point-to-point across the foot of Navajo with a stop down there looks pretty awesome though. You'd need a car shuttle, but it sounds like a pretty awesome trail that crosses a ton of cool canyons.

check arizonahiking.org. May be info there.

Hi Nick! I just joined the forum, and I'm wondering if you ever did the trip to Aztec Canyon and so on. We are interested in the area and would like to explore /traverse between some of those canyons i.e. Anasazi, Lehi, Moepitz, etc. Thanks for any beta...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Current Water-Rainbow Bridge North Trail Trip Planning 0
D Rainbow Bridge North Trail Backpacking 4
Eugene Rainbow Bridge North Trail (this time the full trail) Backpacking 1
Eugene North Rainbow Bridge Trail Backpacking 7
gnwatts Rainbow Photography 0
wabenho Rainbow Lake, Uintas - September 2018 Backpacking 6
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
kimbur96 Tarptent Double Rainbow or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2? Gear 2
powderglut Rainbow Rim Trail, Kaibab NF? Trip Planning 2
Keith Lamar River, Mist Creek, Pelican Valley, Hot Springs Basin, Rainbow Springs and Joseph Coat Springs Backpacking 15
Jammer Rainbow Ridge Redux Hiking & Camping 11
E Kayaking and Hiking in the Rainbow Area, Lake Powell. 4/7-4/13/13. On The Water 2
Jammer Rainbow Ridge Backpacking 7
blueeyes Rainbow Rim June 2012 Hiking & Camping 5
regehr Maybird Gulch bridge is broken Hiking & Camping 4
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
fossana Sheep Bridge/Lower JEM trail (Virgin, UT) Conservation Project General Discussion 5
J Mamie Creek Natural Bridge General Discussion 1
SKLund Chimayosos, A Bridge, and Ian Barbosa Hiking & Camping 3
WasatchWill Hiking Chimney Rock & Hickman Bridge Hiking & Camping 2
Eugene Escalante River Town to Hwy 12 Bridge Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Bear Creek & Bridge of Heaven Hiking & Camping 9
uintahiker Tonto Natural Bridge, AZ Hiking & Camping 2
pixie1339 Hickman Bridge Trail General Discussion 6
John Mckean Boulder mail trail to Hwy 12 bridge question General Discussion 6
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
kwc Wandering about In Theodore Roosevelt NP (north unit) Hiking & Camping 5
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Udink North of Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Bob Morris North Inlet Trail Trip Planning 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
BJett Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. North Carolina. Backpacking 0
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - October 17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 16
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0