Album Night Shots and Star Trails

it's been a while since I've done star trails. I headed out to Snow Canyon this weekend and played a bit.

i-2N8zNnZ-L.jpg

I think this is the first star trail I've processed in a couple years or so. Figured I better start doing something will all those extra exposures...

IMG_3960-ps.jpg

I love the Sync feature in LR when stacking images like this.

here's one from our last trip. I liked the moon rising on the slickrock.

North Trackyte Stack by slc_dan, on Flickr

Sync feature? I haven't found that yet. Do you actually stack in LR? I did all that in StarStax and Aperture (those photos aren't in Lightroom yet).

I didn't stack it in LR, used StarStax like you. I wish I understood PS more to do it in there.

Edit/adjust on image in LR, select the others in the stack (shift or control) hit Sync. All the other images levels will now be matched like the original.

The burst and trail would have to be manual though, looks like you did that. Cool.

Ahhh, okay. In Aperture that's called stamping adjustments. Make it to one image then select all the others you want and stamp them through.

I wouldn't want to stack in Photoshop when StarStax is so ridiculously easy. And StarStax does the burst and trail feature automagically. They call it 'comet effect'. I dig it.

Ahhh, okay. In Aperture that's called stamping adjustments. Make it to one image then select all the others you want and stamp them through.

I wouldn't want to stack in Photoshop when StarStax is so ridiculously easy. And StarStax does the burst and trail feature automagically. They call it 'comet effect'. I dig it.

It's a feature now? cool. Maybe I'll finally let it update :whistle:

I took a few night shots in Arches last weekend. The first one was taken at the edge of twilight, when there was still some blue in the sky and no light painting needed. The second was taken 12 minutes later and light painted. I wanted to create a feeling of peering into another dimension. Let me know which one you like best.

North Window Laura Zirino.jpg

North Window Light Painted Laura Zirino.jpg

Here's one I did back in the middle of February in the Valley of the Gods near Bluff, Utah. This was taken an hour or so before sunrise when the center of the Milky Way finally arose. This was the earliest in the year that I photographed the center.
Valley%20of%20the%20Gods%20Tower2-L.jpg

I've been trying to decide on an itinerary for a summer storm chasing trip and this photo seals it for me-I'm going to Valley of the Gods! Spectacular shot!

I like the first one better. I think the second one is close but I think the light painting would have looked better from more of an angle. I also like seeing less detail on the person in the shot.

I like them both but the second one looks more like outer space while the first looks more like sky. So I'd choose the second one based on how you phrased your question.

I like the first one better. I think the second one is close but I think the light painting would have looked better from more of an angle. I also like seeing less detail on the person in the shot.

Yeah, I agree. I should have dressed him in black, but as it is he's not a patient model and was only agreeing to pose because he was getting the car for mountain biking the next day. :rolleyes:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2022 General Discussion 57
balzaccom Author's night--come join me! General Discussion 2
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
Udink Bag Night Challenge 2021 General Discussion 119
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
andyjaggy Suggestions for 3 day 2 night trip in March or April. Trip Planning 2
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
IntrepidXJ Bag Night Challenge 2020 General Discussion 99
tropicalwanderer What to do: Grizzly in camp at night General Discussion 22
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
WasatchWill A Night on Y Mountain Backpacking 7
Ugly Another Friday Night... White Winter Sports 7
Ugly Friday Night at Norway Flats Backpacking 4
C 3 night at Havasu Falls Part 4 Backpacking 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge Results Summary General Discussion 0
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2019 General Discussion 225
WasatchWill A Night on Sand Creek Hiking & Camping 14
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
Ugly Oh Catherine, A Quick Night, Beautiful Dawn Backpacking 2
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill A Night on the Wedge Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Wednesday Night's Red Pine Winter Sports 2
Jackson Bag Night Challenge 2018 General Discussion 454
Wanderlust073 3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY Trip Planning 8
E Paintbrush/Cascade 3 day/2 night trip Trip Planning 8
Perry Suggestions for 3-day/2-night Uinta's Route Trip Planning 10
Stephanie Backpacking suggestions? 1 night Trip Planning 2
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2
S Uintas 2 Night trip Trip Planning 9
IntrepidXJ Arches National Park Night Closure Trip Planning 2
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2017 General Discussion 301
J Newbie - hoping for some advice on one night backpack in utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
N 3 Day 2 Night in Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
J One night backpacking trip with swimming Trip Planning 11
Mike Jones 2-3 NIght Back country Yosemite ideas? Trip Planning 3
Artemus Bag Night Challenge 2016 General Discussion 263
Joey Invite Beer Night, Friday, January 8th Meet Up (Members Only) 20
Joey Night of the Grizzlies documentary General Discussion 3
Joey Invite Beer Night in Salt Lake City, Friday December 11th. Meet Up (Members Only) 44
ZubenElGenubi Three Day/Two Night Trip: Ansel Adams Wilderness Trip Planning 5
tozo Night Photography Exhibit in SLC Photography 0
hamtron5000 Sunday Night in Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2