Backpacking with trekking poles

@Curt Well said. My pole use is very minimal. I've never had knee pain and I would consider myself in the top 20% in my age group (mid 40) for fitness. But as you stated there are many uses for poles. I like them for down climbing through less than optimal terrain, crossing rivers, tarp, hand hold to assist someone else and in a survival situation I could come up with a several uses. In the end, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks @TannerT for being civil about our debate.

Now here is where I'm coming from. This year, I have spent more than twice as many nights in a tent as I have in a bed. Since 2008, I've been taking summers off to backpack, as well as in the winter down south. Even before that, I was working in parks, backpacking quite often. I'm not an expert, nor am I a know-it-all. IN fact, i can't stand those types. But I am extremely confident in my posts. I have the experience to back me up. And if I post something, I'm god damn sure about it.

I stand by everything I've posted. Trekking poles work, but they are a quick fix for the problem. Develop your core, build up some muscle in your legs, and you'll have a shock system on your body. And you will be much better off than with those trekking poles. Try it. And running can be counterproductive.

And you have to ask yourself, how does someone who spends half the year on the trail not have any issues with his knees. Especially considering I once did? Don't believe me? Again, try it.

I'll leave this thread alone now. Happy trails fellas

Depends. When I'm hiking in the Midwest I will bring one along for river crossings, an occasional steep up or down to help these old knees and for balance.
When I'm out west I always take a pair. They can really help with balance, boulder hopping, river crossings, etc...
That being said, I agree with @Joey that squats, lunges and working out in general WILL make your hiking experience better. Running IS a great exercise for cardio and conditioning when done right. But just running isn’t going to be enough. Strength training is one of the single most important non-running aspects of training that can help you become a stronger healthier hiker.

@Joey did you just drop the mic and walk away!?! :D I agree with you. You are right strength training is key. Without cardio you don't get anywhere. Everyone should be doing strength training and cardio. It's good for the heart and body. @kcwins said it too. You have an advantage over everyone considering that you do spend half the year out on what seem to be rigorous treks. Your body is used to the grind. Coupled with your strength training you're a veritable mountain goat. I think you also tapped into something more with this discussion. You figured out you. We are all different and different bodies respond differently to the same perceived situations. Your conviction's are definitely respected.

I will say this, @Curt and @DrNed are right there are many more uses for trekking poles than just for trekking.

I will continue to use trekking poles. I will also continue to cardio and strength train and encourage everyone else to do the same.

One last question @Joey, What do you do that you can spend more nights in a tent than in a 'normal' bed? I am jealous about that.

Reactions: Ben
@Joey thank you for being civil and passionate. Having been in clinical practice for almost 20 years I've learned that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Only 60% of human physiology is hard wired, meaning it will be exactly the same person to person, the rest is unique to the person. I think it's great you've found something that works so well for you, but I think it's shortsighted to think that what has worked for you is the answer for everyone else. I hope that I have been as civil as you.

I love BCP and how everyone is usually so respectful like this. Good stuff.

Well said, Ned. Age is probably a big factor too. For younger people it may be a lot easier to condition your body to be the shock absorber but after time, things just start to go downhill whether you train or not.

Another factor is frequency of activity. I lift weights regularly but I still find trekking poles to be beneficial because I simply cannot hit the trail with enough regularity for my body to be accustomed to the movements and impact that backpacking brings which can't really be duplicated in the gym. I would be willing to bet that family, work and other obligations put the majority of us in the same boat and even though trekking poles may very well be a band aid, to me it falls under the same umbrella as modern hiking shoes/boots in contrast to hiking barefoot or in moccasins where your feet toughen up and grow stronger with regular use.

I think it depends largely on the trail design and rock composition as well. In the northeast, switchbacks are barely used on descents, and your knees take a repetitive hammering from your entire weight crashing down on your knees with every 10+ inch downward step/jump. In Utah, I brought poles but felt they weren't needed really because the trail was well designed with gradual switchbacks and smoother terrain, meaning I wasn't constantly jumping down off of large rocks on the way down.

Well said, Ned. Age is probably a big factor too. For younger people it may be a lot easier to condition your body to be the shock absorber but after time, things just start to go downhill whether you train or not.

Amen to that!

I love BCP and how everyone is usually so respectful like this. Good stuff.

Yep. 69 years young and finally bought a pair of poles this summer. They are totally worthless in rock, talus but do help elsewhere.

I use them on every trip....now. One trip I decided to collapse them and attach them to my pack...a twisted knee later (that I believe could have been prevented) and I have them in my hands. Also, as a hammock camper, I use them to prop up my tarp for a better view.

Doing some unrelated research today and stumbled upon these articles. There is actually
a fair amount of scholarly work done on the use of poles. If you're interested in the topic
there are plenty of other links you can follow from the following articles.

Muscular and metabolic costs of uphill backpacking: are hiking poles beneficial?

Trekking poles increase physiological responses to hiking without increased perceived exertion.

Effects of hiking downhill using trekking poles while carrying external loads.

Knee joint forces during downhill walking with hiking poles.

Joey may be right, but the reality for most of us it we can't spend that amount of time getting in trail shape. We are limited to shorter trips through the year and maybe a few long ones in the summer. Working in the gym just doesn't seem to give the same effects as actual trail miles. So for the rest of us poles can be beneficial. I personally like having something to do with my hands and arms while hiking, it just feels good to me.

On my last trip I slipped on a downhill, spraining my ankle pretty badly. Luckily I was on my way back, about 2km from the Parking lot. By the time I got to the parking lot my ankle had swelled up to the size of an apple. I was on crutches for the next day or two.

I think next trip I will hike with trek in poles in order to hopefully prevent a similar experience.

If the same thing happened halfway thru my trip, or further away from the car I might not have been able to walk out on my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my last trip I slipped on a downhill, spraining my ankle pretty badly. Luckily I was on my way back, about 2km from the Parking lot. By the time I got to the parking lot my ankle had swelled up to the size of an apple. I was on crutches for the next day or two.

I think next trip I will hike with trek in poles in order to hopefully prevent a similar experience.

If the same thing happened halfway thru my trip, or further away from the car I might not have been able to walk out on my own

I find trekking poles to be genuinely helpful in preventing injury and in helping an individual get home easier if they are injured. My brother Daniel hurt his ankle @ 10k in the Sawtooths and we were off trail, two days journey away from civilization. We moved as much of his gear as we could carry to my brother Sean and my packs and then Daniel used my trekking poles to limp home. Without the poles we would have had to carry him and help him WAY more than we ended up doing. I'm a fan of poles but completely understand why others aren't. To each their own!

I never EVER used trekking poles. When I was 21 I tore my ACL and when I was 23, I had surgery to repair it. They took out a hamstring out and used that to use as my "ACL". That was 12 years ago.

I ONLY bought trekking poles this past winter because i got some new snowshoes. I ONLY used those poles for hiking (2 months ago) because I got anew tripod that fits in my bag. My old one weighed 4lbs and was too tall to fit in a bag (even my Baltoro 75 when it was filled), so I would hike with it (holding it).

In any case, trekking poles i guess help a little. I have some fancy stupid expensive ones, but to be honest, i still am not used to using them. I guess I use them because I have them. I could go either way. But I have to say that up here, 95% of the backpackers have them.