Insoles

Vegan.Hiker

Does anyone use Superfeet insoles? Particularly the Copper DMP model?

I had to get a new pair of hiking boots, which I hate doing mid-season, but my Merrell's finally fell apart during my last trip. I loved the Merrell's and never needed aftermarket insoles for them but the updated version of that boot is no longer vegan forcing me to switch to a Northface boot.

I wanted to test the boots out before leaving for Utah this Friday so I took the new boots on a 12 mile test hike on Sunday. They felt great overall but I developed a hot spot (early stage blister) on one heel. I thought a better quality insole might help and went to a running store in my town that came highly recommended by a friend (albeit a runner not hiker). The salesperson said she would ordinarily recommend the Superfeet Orange for strenuous hiking but since my issue was foot movement (blister) rather than needing more shock absorption, she recommended the Copper DMP (this model molds to your foot). She took my arch size into consideration as well. After purchasing them, I've seen some mixed info on the Copper online. The Superfeet website recommends the Copper for "light" hiking whereas the green and orange are recommended for more strenuous hiking. However, I saw a review of the Copper on a hiking blog that compared the Copper to the Green and strongly felt the Copper had more shock absorption. Also confusing is that the Superfeet site claims that the Copper are high profile and the REI site says the Copper are low profile. I'll be wearing the Copper insoles every day in whatever shoes I'm wearing in hopes of breaking them in before Friday but I'm a little nervous now about the shock absorption.

Does anyone use the Copper for anything more than "light" hiking?

I use the red and green ones. Have for a lot of years. Personally in talking to people you want a insole that doesn't give (soft) it needs to be stiff. Most all factory insoles are crap and need to be replaced. Insoles can also be used to tighten up the fit of the boot.

Insoles probably were not the cause of blister... It takes three things: heat, friction (movement) and moisture. Get rid on one and no blisters. I think its new boots and your feet getting used to them. I would suggest tape the area that is getting the hotspot BEFORE (this is key) a actual blister forms. Duc tape works. I use Hypafix tape. If you have a dry blister, thin moleskin to cover the blister area then tape over it to hold the moleskin in place. For a wet, raw blister area use a piece of second skin to cover it then tape over it to hold it. In all cases cut the tape large enough (about 1 inch larger than blister area) to stick and not come loose. I treat a ton of blisters on Wildland Firefighters thru the summer...the preceeding seems to work consistentaly.

Where you hiking in Utah?

I use the red and green ones. Have for a lot of years. Personally in talking to people you want a insole that doesn't give (soft) it needs to be stiff. Most all factory insoles are crap and need to be replaced. Insoles can also be used to tighten up the fit of the boot.

Insoles probably were not the cause of blister... It takes three things: heat, friction (movement) and moisture. Get rid on one and no blisters. I think its new boots and your feet getting used to them. I would suggest tape the area that is getting the hotspot BEFORE (this is key) a actual blister forms. Duc tape works. I use Hypafix tape. If you have a dry blister, thin moleskin to cover the blister area then tape over it to hold the moleskin in place. For a wet, raw blister area use a piece of second skin to cover it then tape over it to hold it. In all cases cut the tape large enough (about 1 inch larger than blister area) to stick and not come loose. I treat a ton of blisters on Wildland Firefighters thru the summer...the preceeding seems to work consistentaly.

Where you hiking in Utah?

Thanks Bob.. I was planning on covering both heels with duct tape as a precautionary measure. The hotspot I had will be completely healed before this weekend. As far as the insoles tightening up the fit. The copper are listed as high profile (meaning they would tighten up the fit), yet REI's description of the copper says they are low profile (loosen the fit) so I'm confused. The profile feels about the same, maybe a little higher. I'll be doing the timp via timpooneke and lake blanche/sundial.

Just don't use the tape on a bubbled blister......
Go with what Superfeet website says.....
Nice area...you may be in between storms.

I never had luck with the superfeet, the greens hurt my arch. When I use my leather boots I get tons of hotspots as they dont breathe well. So when I get a hot spot, I just spray http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TOA0O0/?tag=backcountrypo-20 on it to cool it off as it freezes the area a bit, then swap socks and let me other pair air dry. If it gets worse then I go the Moleskin route.

I never get blisters with my Keens, they just dont protect your feet well from a lot of rocks or provide much ankle support.

Thanks guys, I'll look into the spray.

Yeah Bob, it's early so the forecast may change but it looks I might get rain Sunday. If that's the case, I may even head north into Idaho Sunday to avoid the rain. Sat is supposed to be nice though when I do timp. Then again it's still early as far as the weather forecast goes.