Convertible hiking pants

Dori Coplien

Looking for a good pair of convertible hiking pants. I have Columbia hiking shorts that I love but their convertible pants look like they wouldn't hold up very well. Need a pair for early spring/late fall and another for summer. In August I always head to Wisconsin's peninsula where day temps are high 80's and night low to mid 50's. Granite Creek gets good reviews online but thought I'd post here where I know people have really used them

I really like the North Face Paramount Peak Convertibles. I've tried so many and they have the best fit and durability that I've found. I like them so much I pay full price for them, which is pretty ridiculous ($85).

I really like the North Face Paramount Peak Convertibles. I've tried so many and they have the best fit and durability that I've found. I like them so much I pay full price for them, which is pretty ridiculous ($85).

Same here.

REI's Sahara convertible pants is what i go with
+1

Although I've had some zippers (crotch) go bad after many years of use. Also, when in "shorts mode", they are pretty short...which I don't love. Other than those things I like 'em a lot.

Love Patagonia Rock Craft - hard to find in convertible style. Combined with silk leggings = warm!

I wanted to love the REI Sahara Convertibles but after splitting 2 crotches, I gave up on that. It's crazy they don't double seam the crotch on those like most manufacturers. If they did that and they didn't split on the first or second use, I'd be all over them.

I wanted to love the REI Sahara Convertibles but after splitting 2 crotches, I gave up on that. It's crazy they don't double seam the crotch on those like most manufacturers. If they did that and they didn't split on the first or second use, I'd be all over them.
I love the north face too. And, as Nick has, I've split 3 pairs of pants in the crotch. The North Face have always lasted me the longest and best.

The back pockets are always the first things to go on my Paramount Peak pants. I never use them so it's not a big deal, but it happens on every pair I wear!

you guys must be doing some serious climbing...i haven't split a crotch in any pants I've ever owned.

you guys must be doing some serious climbing...i haven't split a crotch in any pants I've ever owned.

Haha. Or maybe those guys have just been blessed with more...you know...:rolleyes:...

I do have pretty skinny legs though...and I'm a lightweight all the way around. Maybe that means less stress on certain seams. As a side note, I never have to deal with chafe-age (thighs) like some of these guys with big strong legs. I have friends that HAVE to wear under armour and use body glide or else they're in trouble.

I saw it late, but I love the prAna Zion Stretch convertibles. They are fantastic and the Zion Stretch material is amazing!

I recall some not liking them, but I love the mountain hardwear convertible pants I own. There sizing is a bit different though.

Also I have a pair of prana capris I've had for four years now. I've lost a little weight so they are a little loose, but they are some of the most comfortable outdoor fabrics I've owned.

I buy the cheapest I can find. Last ones were from Yellowstone Outlet in W Yellowstone for $20. Just replacing after 5 years of trips .....for some reason they shrank in size :)

I just bought the Kuhl Liberator pants at the beginning of August and absolutely love them. They are kind of expensive at $90 but they are amazing. Wick moisture great, fit really nice (not super baggy like most quick dry pants), and just all around great fitting and functioning pants.

I have two sets from GoLite and really like them.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nick Convertible Pants Gear 19
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
Janice Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities? Trip Planning 11
balzaccom Hiking Naked? General Discussion 22
BadFoot Altra Lone Peaks for hiking on slickrock - grippy or not? Gear 20
S Desert Hiking Footwear Gear 22
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
W Hiking boots - women's wide foot. General Discussion 8
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Hiking Hiking & Camping 0
M What's your rain forecast comfort zone for canyon hiking? Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Night Hiking General Discussion 19
F It has begun - Hiking Baja's El Camino Real Backpacking 7
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
F Hiking a section of the El Camino Real in Baja in 2022 Trip Planning 0
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
trailsofbudapest Hiking in Hungary Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Hiking w/ Eric, Fishing w/ Al Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hiking in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Adirondack Hiking - the colors are starting to pop! Hiking & Camping 5
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Ross Hiking Scotland Hiking & Camping 19
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
kwc Southern Adirondack Day Hiking (aka Social Isolation) Hiking & Camping 0
TrektheWorld Heil Ranch Hiking and Hammocking Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Local Hiking Hiking & Camping 1
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Yvonne Hiking the Hurricane Canal and Hurricane Rim Loop, February 15 Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12